Sequel: Zero

rewind

two.

"Hey, Alessandro, was it?"

He jerked away from the voice, raising the gun threateningly point blank to the young woman's nose. Her eyes crossed to look at the barrel, but she took a single step back and tilted her head to the side to squint at him. He hadn't even heard her approach, which was unusual for the exceedingly vigilant young man.

"Didn't mean to scare you," she said lightly and added in a smile. "Just wanted to ask if you might have seen a large animal roaming around tonight. About this big, dark ashen gray, yellow eyes... I've lost track of him again, but I know he's around here somewhere."

Ales looked around the area before putting his gun away and shaking his head. Her mouth puckered in disappointment.

"It was a long shot, Cana is very good at travelling within the shadows," she sighed. "I'd better continue the search then. Don't stay out here too long though, you might catch a cold."

She smiled and bid him farewell will a light wave that he did not return. He was too focused on the fact that even though he was watching her go, he could not hear her leave. The moment she rounded the corner, he followed up to find that she was already gone.