Sequel: Zero

rewind

eight.

"What are you guys doing here?"

She looked furious. So much that Ales almost withered and Marco did. Still, beyond her glare, there was a lingering concern that let them know that she only cared for their well being. She crossed her arms, frowning at them with such effort that Ales knew that it wouldn't take much to make it disappear.

"You're family," Marco offered. "Of course, we'd be here."

That was all it took before her expression considerably softened.

"I'm not like you," she said. "I'm different and you know that. It's dangerous to be around me."

"We aren't exactly unfamiliar with danger," Ales muttered.

"This is different," she insisted. "This man will stop at nothing!"

"Neither will we."

She didn't look convinced, but she wasn't about to press the matter much longer either. First, she frowned at Marco, knowing that he was the one who would have insisted on Ales following after her. Then she looked to Ales, who watched her closely with those dark brown eyes. He could always pick her apart, even when she didn't want him to. It frightened her, how fiercely he had come to protect her the moment she showed weakness.

It scared her because she knew that no one would get away unscathed.

"They're almost here," she said at last. "Try not to get yourselves killed."