Sequel: Zero

rewind

six.

An intense pain scorched her from the inside out and her hand immediately flew to the area over her left collarbone. The very breath was knocked out of her lungs as her stance faltered and she stumbled in shock. At the same time, a blinding light emanated from the source of her pain, the brand she sustained thrummed like a beacon. She grit her teeth and made a small noise of pain as she pressed her palm over it, her eyes darting every direction in muted panic.

Ales took a single step closer, compelling her to move away until her back was pressed against the crate behind her. She peered up at him in bewilderment, but said nothing as he drew nearer and covered her tiny form with his. Her breath instinctively stopped as her eyes shifted to the shadows that were playing on their surroundings. They flickered and bounced from here to there, yet no one ever came. She waited until the patter of running footfalls faded into silence, then she let her lungs expel the exhausted air.

He drew away from her, footsteps expertly silenced as he moved to assess the open area. She gingerly peeled back her hand from the brand, relieved to see the glow dimming until it faded into a brutal shade of red.

"Are you alright?" His voice rang low and clear through the silence and shadows.

"I-I'm fine, I-" She was uncharacteristically flustered. "I'm just worried about Cana."

Ales' brows came together as his eyes scanned over her. It was so subtle that he almost didn't notice it, but she was trembling. Whether it was due to fear or exhaustion, he couldn't know. He suspected it was both.

"Come with me."