Status: Part one of a two part story

Going Away to College

Part 1/2

To say I was nervous would be an understatement, I’d never been out of Maryland-barely out of Baltimore- and now I was alone in New York City. Okay, maybe not alone, I was surrounded by fellow students running around meeting up with friends and hauling luggage to their dorms. But I didn’t know a single person here-which is why I went here- but it was still nerve-wracking. All I had was a slip of paper with my room assignment and my roommates’ name, Alex Gaskarth. We’d texted back and forth a few times since being assigned roommates’ but his webcam was broken so we couldn’t Skype. Meaning I had no idea who I was looking for. I decided it was best to head to my dorm before I was trampled by excited freshman or emotional parents poorly driving packed station wagons.

After roaming two buildings and countless hallways I located my room. I fumbled with my keys and successfully unlocked the door after only two tries. Being the genius that I am I decided to try to fit myself and a years’ worth of luggage, through the door at once, needless to say, I failed. I ended up dropping half my belongings and stumbling into the room just barely balancing before myself before face planting. Just as I was regaining my composure I heard a poorly suppressed chuckle- that may or may not have been the most heavenly variation of a laugh I’ve ever heard.
“I’ll take it you’re Jack? Unless some uncoordinated sociopath broke in to kill me on my first day at college, which would be a pretty huge buzz kill. So I really hope you’re Jack.”
Normally his sense of humor would just my taste, but I was a bit preoccupied drooling over who I can only assume to be the mysterious Alex Gaskarth.
“Uh yeah, that’s me Jack Barakat, hi.”
Mentally kicking myself for that oh so smooth introduction I geld out my hand for him to shake.
“Come on man we’re supposed to live together in this box for a year and all I get is a handshake?!” Alex ignored my outstretched hand, grabbing me in a hug.
Until this hug I didn’t know it was even possible for someone to look, feel and smell this good. I pulled back sooner than I would like, but we just met and I didn’t want to scare him off already. When I looked at Alex again his smile was as wide as mine as he bent to pick up one of my bags.
“Need help unpacking?”
“Yeah that’d be great if you don’t mind.”
“It’s not a problem I’m mostly done with my things, let’s get started.”
We spent the rest of the afternoon putting our stuff away and organizing and reorganizing our room, all while getting to know each other, and before we knew it, it was dinnertime. Alex threw himself on his bed sighing dramatically.
“I’m starved. Wanna go grab a bite to eat?”
I had to calm my heart rate and reminds myself he wasn’t asking me out, he was just asking his roommate to grab a bite to eat, completely normal.
“Sure where to?”
“Hmmm…pizza if you’re in the mood.”
“Who isn’t in the mood for pizza, like all the time?”
Alex laughed checking himself in the mirror briefly before grabbing his room key, “good point,lets’ go”
Alex and I made our way across campus to the nearest pizza place, highly recommended among students. We grabbed a booth near the back for some peace and quiet and ordered soon after, eager to get our food.
After hours of sitting and stuffing our faces, but mostly talking, we realized the restaurant was closing. As we made our way back to our room in a comfortable silence I thought back on our day together. It felt unreal I could’ve only known him a day, we had so much in common and talking to him was so easy and natural. Everything I learned about him made it harder to tell myself he was just my roommate and nothing more. I was abruptly torn from my thoughts as Alex slipped his hand into mine, I couldn’t contain the smile that slid onto my face as I stole a glance over at Alex, his eyes were downcast and a slight blush had taken over his features, I can honestly say it was the most precious thing I have ever witnessed. I smoothed my thumb over his hand for a few moments before he tugged mine pulling us to a stop.
“I like you Jack.”
“Uh,.. what?”
“I like you. It just…- it doesn’t feel like I just met you.”
I didn’t know how to respond so I just nodded and hoped he realized that it was a nod in agreement.
“Can I try something Jack?”
Again I could only nod; he smiled briefly before his nerves took over his expression as he leaned in slowly. Finally regaining myself control I leaned in the rest of the way attaching our lips in a brief, but sweet, kiss.
We both pulled back, smiles of content adorning our faces as we nervously made eye contact. Once we did I couldn’t stop myself from pulling his lips back to mine, and once he deepened the kiss I wouldn’t end it for anything. Realistically we had to end the kiss, but only once we ran out of oxygen. I had to stop myself from awing aloud as Alex pulled back and rested his head on my shoulder trying to catch his breath.
“I know dating your roommate is potentially one of the dumbest things you can do, but what do you say?”
“Just because I’m in college doesn’t mean I have to make smart decisions.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So i had 3 hours free in class today so i wrote this. It's split into two parts, the second of which is ready to post upon request.
Feedback really helps my writing and is generally awesome so take a few seconds to let me know what you think??
Comment, recommend, subscribe if ya really want!!