Status: Contest Entry

A Rainy Day in New York City

The Perfect Date

The rain pounded outside as the storm raged on. A flash of lighting lit up the room, instantly followed by thunder, which shook the apartment as Derek sat across the table from his two year girlfriend, Laura.
"This is very romantic of you, Derek." She said with a laugh as she ate a slice of the pizza he ordered.
"Why thank you." He responded with a wide smile.
"You know I wouldn't have minded going out in the rain, right? You didn’t have to pamper me; you do that all the time." She stated as she grabbed another slice from the box placed in the center of the table.
"But isn't this so much better than venturing out when it's thundering and raining? Also, as your boyfriend, it's my job to pamper you, and I enjoy every minute of it." He told her as he took the last piece and closed the box.
"You're too sweet." Laura insisted.
"That's another reason I didn't want to go out. I'm just so sweet that I'd probably melt because I’m made of sugar." He kissed her cheek as he walked past her into the kitchen.
"Sure you are," She laughed as she wrapped her arms around his waist.
"You said yourself, therefore it's true!" He exclaimed. He laughed, and handed her a towel to dry the dishes with.
"You're such a dork." She responded, rolling her eyes and starting drying the dishes.
"But I'm your dork." He pointed out as he tapped her lightly on the nose.
"Yes, yes you are." Laura said. She pushed herself onto her toes and kissed the tip of his nose, before dashing to the living room and diving on the couch. Derek laughed at her childish behavior as he followed her
"What movie are we going to watch?" He asked her as he stretched out on the couch, watching her go through his movie collection.
He used this time to take in how beautiful she looked in the baggy sweat pants and tank top she was wearing. These messy clothes made her look more beautiful than she ever gives herself credit for in his opinion.
"What movie shall we watch tonight, my beautiful girlfriend?" Derek asked her with a smile. It's become a thing that every time they stay in for a date, they end it by watching a movie.
"Ummm.... Derek?" Laura asked, grabbing a few movies off the shelf used to display them.
"Yes, darling?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.
"What's with all of the Disney movies?" She asked with a laugh as she held up my collection.
"Ummm... They're McDonagh's? I'm just holding onto them for him?" He tried to cover up as his face turned red. Of all the times they’ve had movie nights she had never noticed the Disney movies until now.
"Sure they're McDonagh's! Why didn't you tell me you had Disney movies? I love them! I didn't know you had that much of a soft side." She teased him with a smirk on her face causing him to turn a deeper shade of red.
"You have good ones too! Beauty and the Beast, Finding Nemo, Lion King... Oh my gosh! Derek, can we watch The Little Mermaid? That's my favorite movie!" She squealed as she slipped the movie into the DVD player before running to sit next to him on the couch.
"I'm going to go make popcorn." Derek whispered as the previews started.
"Don't be too long. I'll start it without you if I have to!" Laura called as he started popping the popcorn. He felt in his pocket for the ring he bought the day before and sighed. Tonight was the night he would do it. He was going to propose to her after two years. He put the ring back, grabbed a pack of M&M’s, and walked back into the other room.
He walked back into the room to find Laura under a blanket with her knees pulled up to her chest. He sat next to her and handed her the open pack of M&M's after he took a few and tossed them into his mouth.
"Thank you." She said with a giggle as she grabbed a handful of the popcorn and pressed play on the movie.
"You're the best." She added with a kiss on his cheek.
"I know I am." He told her with a chuckle.
Not even halfway through the movie both of them were belting out the songs and laughing at each other as they tried to hit certain notes that were completely out of their range.
After the Kiss the Girl scene ended Derek paused the movie receiving a questioning look from Laura.
"What was that for?" She asked him as she tried to get the remote back.
"Laura, you know we've been dating for about two years now, right?" He asked her to which she nodded in response, not getting what he was getting at.
"Laura, we've been dating for two years now and I can't picture myself with anyone but you. You make me happiest man alive, even the team notices that my face lights up when I'm around you. Just being around you and being able to call you mine makes me feel like I am the luckiest man on Earth. I love you with all of my heart and can't imagine losing you. Laura Arabella Ford, will you marry me?" He asked, getting down on one knee in front of her and pulling the ring out of his pocket.
Her jaw dropped as she looked at the ring. Finally, after getting over the initial shock, she started nodding.
"Yes yes yes! A million times yes! Of course I'll marry you Derek!" She exclaimed as he slipped the ring on her finger, a goofy smile on his face. He grabbed a blue rose, her favorite flower, from the pocket of his hoddie and put it on her ear. She kissed his cheek and grabbed the remote, turning the movie back on with a smile on her face.
Once it ended he carried her to his bed where they cuddled, smiles on both of their faces.
"You know I was scared that you would say no to me." He admitted.
"Derek Stepan! Why would I ever turn you down?" She questioned.
"I don't know... I just thought that maybe..." Derek started.
"Don't think that! There's no reason I would say no. That was perfectly planned out and even if it wasn't I still would've said yes because I love you." She pointed out before closing her eyes and falling asleep.
"I love you too." He replied as he kissed her forehead then fell asleep, a smile on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! This is my first story on Mibba! Hope you enjoyed! :)