Blurred Lines

love lost.

THEY FOUND A BODY only several feet away from the border of the woods and Hallie's backyard, previously hidden from Sheriff Stilinski's view as it had been, apparently, tied to a tree via a wire that had also been used to slash it's neck. The text she received from her father told her this, along with an added part in all capital letters that said 'BE CAREFUL!!!'

Needless to say, Hallie felt sick to her stomach throughout every period since she had received the text in third. There could be a murderer running around behind her house, and once she got home, all she could do is sit around and hope she's not the next victim. It wasn't a reassuring thought. All of it— finding the blood the day before, the revelation that, yes, it did belong to a human— it was something straight out of a horror movie or some screwed up fairytale.

She's sitting in her seventh period class, waiting for the teacher to began and tapping her pink pen on desk in a display of boredom, when an overwhelming presence seems to overtake her. She can practically feel the heat radiating from whoever took the seat next to her. A look to the side shows a smiling boy with a strong jaw line and big, clear, blue eyes. She recognizes him as one of the three who came in during her first period class and interrupted Ms. Blake's interrogation of her. He's extremely tall, she notices, and the smile that he wears is goofy and childlike.

"Hey, I'm Isaac," he pauses, awkwardly sticking out a hand for her to shake. After staring at it for a second with a raised eyebrow, she reaches across the desk and takes it, his hand completely enveloping hers in his grasp as they shake hands. "Haley, right?'

Hallie resists the urge to roll her eyes because out of everything he could've said, it's the one thing that irks her completely. "Hallie," she corrects. And then, in an effort not to seem like the frigid bitch that she probably seems like, she adds, "It's nice to meet you, Isaac."

"So, how are you liking Beacon Hills?" he asks, presumably to start a conversation. However, it seems to be the question of the day and after being asked it a total of thirteen times, she has to fight to hide her bitterness.

"Honestly? It sucks," she admits, not even bothering to sugarcoat it. "I've been here for less than two full days and we've already had a murder occur in our backyard, so, yeah, I'm not too keen on the place."

As if surprised by the words that escaped her own mouth, her blue eyes widen. Are you supposed to tell people about those types of things, or was that some kind of law when dealing with these types of cases? Hallie had no idea what the normal protocol was, but she didn't get the chance to dwell on it for very long, as Isaac began a mini sort of interrogation as soon as her words sunk in.

"A murder? What happened?"

"Not sure yet," she says slowly. "They just found the body — my parents texted me during third period." Shut up, Hallie, she told herself, "you don't even know this guy. He could be the freaking psycho murderer.

Isaac stares at her with a calculating expression, nodding ever-so-subtley. "Did they say anything else? Like, what happened or if they know who did it or—"

Something seems off to her about his questions, and after a moment's thought, she decided not to give him any details. Not that she wanted to— talking about it only made her feel sick to her stomach, and chances are all she would be doing as soon as she got home will be answering questions from the sheriff and her parents and having to see a constant stream of law enforcement officers around her house. School, although she never thought she would say it, was offering her a sort of safe haven from darker subjects.

"No, like I said, I just got a text about it..." she trails off then, before he could ask her anything else, says, "Hey, Isaac, do you mind if we stop talking about this?"

He looks down at his desk and nods before returning to meet her gaze. "Yeah, no problem. Sorry if that came off as, uh, y'know." Isaac doesn't break eye contact as she nods and tells him that, 'no, it's totally fine.

Their conversation lulls after that, and all Hallie can think about is how close Isaac is sitting next to her, and how she can hear his pencil as it scribbles across the page and she can smell the musky scent that is him. The class, again with Ms. Blake, is the last class of the day and it seems as if no one is taking it seriously, so Hallie doesn't feel bad about ignoring the lesson and, instead, analyzing the boy next to her. He seemed to be friends with the Stilinski boy— she wonders if he'd know anything that might help her understand what happened at her house, or if that was a long shot (she decides that, yeah, he probably doesn't know any more than she does).

He's attractive, that's for sure. One thing that she noticed about Beacon Hills (besides the fact that there are murderers running around and everything) is that they don't lack any number of attractive people; in that department, it gives Orange County a run for it's money.

And it things were different, she may have acted upon it. He is cute and , if her mind wasn't focused on the dead body in her yard and the person responsible for it, she may have flirted a bit, tossed her hair and found something to laugh about. However, there are few things that are important than boys, and bodies and murderers are among those.

Image


"THEY FOUND A DEAD BODY in the new girl's yard. Hallie's."

Isaac, Scott, and Stiles are sitting in Scott's kitchen, picking at pizza rolls that sit in front of them. Isaac, eager to tell the two what she had told him (even if it didn't exactly have any huge details or hints about whether the murderer was wolf or human), had insisted that they all sit down and go somewhere.

"Really? Hm," Scott pauses to eat a pizza roll, then swallows it with a blink as it burns his throat. "Did she say anything about how or who or—"

"No, no. She said she didn't know anything, but I kind of doubt that her parents would just send a text that says, 'hey they found a dead body in our yard' and leave it at that," Isaac shrugs. "I mean, she said she didn't want to talk about it, so I didn't want to push her any more."

Isaac wasn't sure what he hoped to happen— Stiles to declare his father had told him what happened? Scott to say that it was, no doubt, the work of alphas? Of course, neither of those were plausible, as the two other boys knew no more than he did. Still, he felt like he needed to find out. He needed to know what was causing the Hallie girl to hate their little town so much. And why, if not just bad luck, it was happening in her yard. Though, chances were, it was a wrong place, wrong time type of thing that she, unfortunately, got stuck in the middle of.

"Maybe it has something to due with the way Heather died," Stiles says, frowning.

"Or," Scott starts slowly, carefully. "It's something totally unrelated to that and to the alphas. I mean, Isaac, I get it— you want to help her. But this could be something that has nothing to do with any of us, and we already have a lot going on. I don't want you to get into something you can't handle."

Scott's tone is almost patronizing towards his friend, and he put a reassuring hand on Isaac's shoulder as he spoke. And, okay, Scott is probably right—even if they did know what was happening, he still wouldn't know what to do and help. Besides, why should he care so much about the livelihood of some girl he doesn't even know? She's just some girl and, sure, it sucked, but there were enough other people who would surely be willing to help if she asked. She was (despite her appearance at school earlier) pretty in a convential sort of way — it wouldn't take long for her to get some guy wrapped around her fingers.

Still, though, no matter how many times Isaac reminded himself it wasn't his job to help her, he felt compelled to do so. Maybe it's because, before meeting Derek and befriending Scott, there had been no one there to help him; the situations were completely different, but Isaac felt as if a part of him understand, really just got, what the girl was feeling.

In the kitchen, the subject changes — Stiles is talking about virgin sacrifices and Isaac almost let's out a humorless laugh because, literally, the only thing that seems to be on their minds anymore is death.

"We should do something," Isaac says suddenly. He interrupts Stiles, causing the boy to send him a glare. "Something that doesn't have to do with sacrifices and psycho alphas."

They don't have many options in a town like Beacon Hills, though. There are clubs, though none are very fun on a Wednesday night and, really, they don't have the greatest history with them. After discussion, they decide on a drive in Stiles' jeep- it's the only thing to do that probably won't result in any type of trouble for them, and even that is unlikely.

Stiles is driving towards his house when they see the flashing red and blue lights. Stiles slows down as they near them, almost rolling to a complete stop when they see his fathers car. The cops seem to be milling outside of a house marked as 25 Maffet on the mailbox, and Isaac gets a sinking feeling in his stomach as soon as he hears the scream. He's only heard her talk a few times, but the naturally high pitched tone is distinct when it wails. Hallie.

Isaac is about to say something, to run from the jeep and see what's going on, but then a bloodied blonde runs from the house and all previous thoughts are gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
okokok

so I got really frustrated writing this because it just didn't turn out good and Isaac seems so out of character and Hallie just seems really unlikable and idk like I kind if am half considering ditching this and starting over but like yeah idk