Touched by an Angel, Though I Fall Out of Grace

Fourteen

*December 17, 2004*
*Brittany's POV*
His smile. His eyes. His voice. His laugh. His scent. His touch... he was all I could think about. I missed him like hell. I just wanted to feel his arms around me and to inhale the familiar mint and coffee scent that I've grown to love. I wanted him to hold me close and he sing quietly into my ear. I haven't seen him in four days and it's killing me.

"Brittany, turn your head, I'm almost finished." I heard my mom say, bringing me back from my own thoughts. I was sitting in my room while my my mom fixed up my hair for tonight. Damon and Steven had talked me into attending the winter formal.

"And done," my mom announced. I looked in the mirror and was glad to see that she had kept it simple by curling my hair and pinning it into an updo with sparkly bobby pins. As I stood up, she handed me my floor-length, blue dress with a lace embellished, cut out back; it was a pretty dress and I was surprised we had been able to find it on such short notice. After my mom had zipped up my gown, I sat at the edge of my bed to slip on my black, glitter flats (the ground is covered in snow and ice, there's no way I was wearing high heels). I picked up my sterling silver, black and white infinity hoop diamond earrings and matching bracelet before grabbing my phone and black coat, heading downstairs with my mom right behind me.

From outside, I heard a car horn and went to open the front door. Damon and Steven stood on the other side, wearing tuxedos and grinning. My mom came into the foyer with a camera in hand; I took a photo with Damon, one with Steven and then we did a group picture.

"Bye, Mom," I said as I gave her a quick hug.

"Bye, Britt. You three have fun," she told us as we got into Damon's car. Damon revved the engine before backing out of my driveway, heading toward Belleville High School. The entire ride over, I stared out the window with a vacant expression.

**~**~**~**~**

When we arrived at the school, we got out and the three of us walked into the gymnasium. I looked around the room and it had been transformed into some Winter Wonderland. The decorating committee had gone all out with a silver sparkling archway, glittering plastic snowflakes which were hung from the ceiling, icicle Christmas lights along the wall, there were tables covered in silver tablecloths with white rose petals and white candles setting on them.

The three of us found an empty table and sat down. I drummed my fingers along to the song that was playing. I noticed that Damon hadn't looked up from his phone since we entered the room, his fingers flying over the keys. Steven must've noticed as well, because he asked, "Who are you talking to? Do you have a new boyfriend that you haven't told us about yet?"

Damon let out a nervous laugh. "Yeah, right. I'll be back, I have to make a phone call," he said, standing up to cross the room and walked out of the gym's double doors. Steven looked at me and I just shrugged my shoulders.

*Damon's POV*
As soon as I was outside, I dialed Gerard's number and waited for him to pick up the phone. He and the others were supposed to be here before us and they weren't here yet. Just as I was about to hang up, I heard a faint "Hello?"

"Hey, Gerard, it's Damon. Where are you guys?"

"We're getting out of the car right now."

In a few seconds, they were walking towards the door. I sighed in relief as they nodded in my direction. The six of us walked into the gym and I led them to our table. Brittany and Steven were talking but as we approached, Brittany looked up and saw Gerard and she gave me a look... and if looks could kill, I'd be dead.

I felt my phone vibrate and I opened it; I had a text from Brittany. 'What the hell is he doing here?'

I smiled at her and replied: 'Be nice.' She rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest.

*Brittany's POV*
I crossed my arms over my chest after I received Damon's last text. I should have realized this was a setup to get me to speak to Gerard again. Ever since I had left the hospital that day, I had done nothing but whine and complain to Damon and Steven about how much I had missed Gerard, but I was too stubborn to call him. I felt my phone vibrate and checked it. 'You look absolutely beautiful.'

The message was from Gerard; I closed my eyes and sighed before sending back a simple thanks. I snuck a glance at him, he caught me and flashed a smile. Just then "My Immortal" by Evanescence came on and the guys took this as their chance to try and get a dance partner, leaving me alone at the table with Gerard.

I watched as Gerard stood up slowly and took the seat right next to me. He gave me another smile and I couldn't help but smile back when I seen his adorable, tiny teeth. He scooted his chair closer to mine and then leaned over to place his lips near my ear.

"I've missed you," he whispered.

I shuddered as his breath blew across my skin. "I've missed you, too," I told him, taking his hand in mine.

"I texted you and called you, but you never answered me. Why?" he wondered, looking at me.

"Because I was angry and upset, I guess I needed space. But it killed me to not talk to you. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, baby and I'm sorry, too. I'm just glad that I have you back."

I smiled at him. "Me too," I said as I heard the opening music for Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" came on. "That's our song," I whispered.

"Would you like to dance, Miss Davis?" he asked, extending his hand.

"Of course I would, Mr. Way," I told him, taking his hand, letting him lead us onto the dance floor.
He placed his hands on my waist, pulling me close to him as I wrapped my arms around his neck; we held each other tightly as we swayed back and forth together.

"I love you, Brittany," Gerard said when the song had come to an end.

"I love you, too, Gerard," I told him as he placed a hand on either side of my face and slowly leaned in. Our lips touched and every vein in my body felt like it was burning as my heart pounded in my chest.

"Do you want to go to my house?" he asked in a whisper. I bit my lip and nodded my head, understanding the meaning of the question. We grabbed our coats and phones from our table and walked out of the gym. I slipped my coat on as we stepped outside and I sent a quick text to Damon, telling him that I was leaving with Gerard and that he would have to give the guys a ride home.

In fifteen minutes, Gerard was pulling up to his house and we got out to go inside where it was warm. We had barely shut the front door, when Gerard leaned in to kiss me and I happily kissed him back as I ran my hands down his chest and felt him smile against my lips. He pulled away from me and took my hand, leading the way down into his bedroom and he made sure to shut and lock the door behind us.

We picked up where left off; we had thrown our coats down near the steps of the basement and I had pushed off his tuxedo jacket, working on the buttons of his shirt while he unzipped my dress. I slipped my dress off my shoulders as I watched him undo his belt and kick off his pants off, and then we stood before each other in just our underwear. I reached up and kissed him and then the two of us fell back on his bed. We helped one another get rid of the last pieces of clothing on our bodies as we touched.

"We don't have to if you don't want to," Gerard said as he hovered over me.

I looked at him as I propped myself up on my elbows. "I want to," I replied, kissing his lips.

He grinned. "Okay, I just wanted to make sure this was consensual." He reached over into his nightstand and pulled out a square, foil package. "Are you a virgin?" he wondered.

I averted my gaze as I felt my cheeks burn out of embarrassment. "Yes," I mumbled.

"It's okay," Gerard said, reassuringly. "I am, too."

"No, you're not," I said, looking up at him in disbelief.

"Yeah, I am. Me and the last girl I was with had planned to do it for my birthday last year, but she broke up with me before anything ever happened."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be, it eventually led me to you and for that I'll be forever grateful," he said, kissing my cheek. "Are you ready?" I nodded, not trusting my voice; it might give me away as to how nervous I was.

"Don't worry," Gerard said as he put on the condom. "I'll be as gentle as possible."

"Okay," I whispered, laying back against his pillows. He hovered over me again and kissed me deeply, his hands roaming my body. I had goosebumps as he trailed kisses from my lips to my jawline down to my collarbone. My breathing became uneven as he slipped an arm between us and pushed my legs apart, softly touching my thighs.

Gerard spent a few more minutes touching me and kissing me, making sure I was relaxed enough, before positioning himself at my entrance. He laced his fingers though mine, holding my hand tightly; as he slowly pushed in, he pressed his lips against mine, but we weren't really kissing. I think he was trying to distract me from the pain, but it didn't work, I still gasped and shut my eyes, trying not to cry.

"Do you want me to stop?" he asked.

"No," I whimpered, looking up at him. He gave me a smile and slowly began to move, a few minutes passed and soon I was letting out soft moans as he rocked against me. I clung to his body, dragging my nails down his back. Gerard had his head buried in the crook of my neck and I kept hearing him moan my name again and again in my ear.

"I'm close," I heard him announce as he picked up his pace. I felt him stall inside me and then he cried out, "Fuck!" Gerard kept moving until I had my own climax and we rode it out together. He pulled out and collapsed next to me, both of us breathing hard. WIth the sheets tangled around us,
he wrapped his arms around me and I nestled into him.

"I love you," I said to him as my eyes got heavy.

"I love you, too," Gerard said, kissing my forehead. With my head on his chest, I was listening to his heartbeat and I soon fell asleep.

*Morning*
I awoke to sunlight coming in through the tiny basement window and I propped myself up on my elbows. I felt Gerard stir but he didn't wake up. I smiled to myself and leaned down to kiss him. It only took seconds for him to wake up and kiss me back.

"Well, good morning to you, too," he said, his voice coated with sleep.

I giggled and said, "Morning."

"No regrets?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Not at all."

"Good," he said, pecking my lips. "What time is it?"

I looked over at his nighstand. "Fifteen minutes past ten."

"You want breakfast? I'll cook." Gerard said.

"Before breakfast, I need a shower," I told him.

"Alright, you go shower and I'll get started. The bathroom is upstairs, the first door on the left."

"Okay," I said, picking up my bra and underwear.

"Here," Gerard said as he pulled on his boxers and a pair of pajama pants, throwing me a black T-shirt. I slipped it over my head before climbing the basement stairs with Gerard right behind me. He stopped in the kitchen but I went upstiars to the bathroom. I started the water and shed my clothing and stepped in. I didn't stay in the shower long because I didn't want to wake anyone up. When I was finished I dried off and slid my clothes back on.

Once back downstairs, I found Gerard leaning against the counter with a cup of coffee in one hand while taking toast from the toaster with the other. I walked up to him and snaked my arms around his waist. He looked down and smiled. "You look good in my shirt."

I grinned at his comment, kissing his cheek before helping him take our food to the table, which is where we were currently sitting. We had toast, scrambled eggs and coffee in front of us and we were eating, while Gerard played footsie with me.

"Gerard, is that you?" I heard a man ask.

Gerard cleared his throat. "Yeah, Dad, it's me."

I had never met Gerard's father, but I had seen him at the funeral. When he reached the kitchen, his eyes landed on me. "Hello," he said.

I flashed a quick smile. "Hello, Mr. Way." I said.

"You must be Brittany."

"Yes sir," I told him, nodding my head.

After gettting himself a cup of coffee, he said, "t's nice to meet you. Gerard, can I speak to you?" I watched the two of walk into the living room, but I just sipped my coffee and waited for Gerard to come back.

*Gerard's POV*
"She slept here last," my dad said, "and I'm assuming that something happened. Am I right?"

"Yes, but don't worry. I had a condom," I told him, feeling a little awkward discussing this with my father.

"I'm glad that you did, but condoms can break. What if it had? What if she had gotten pregnant with your child? What if the two of you would have had to raise that child? You're both practically still children yourselves. You've got to think about the ifs in life."

"That's what MetLife is for, Dad."

"Gerard, I'm serious."

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. I'd get a job, ask her to marry and then we'd raise the child together. I wouldn't abandon her because I love her."

"Just think about the ifs, alright?"

I nodded and went back to the kitchen. Brittany sat where I had left her, cutting the crust off of her toast. I took my seat and she looked up at me, all smiles.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, except you're getting rid of the best part," I told her, picking the crust from her plate.

"Ew, no. It's too crunchy," she said, scrunching her nose.

"You're so cute," I told her, smiling as she ducked her head, blushing. "As much as I hate to, I'm gonna have to take you home early. We've got practice at Bob's today."

"It's okay. I know my mom's going crazy because I didn't text or call her last night. I'm ready when you are."

**~**~**~**~**

After breakfast, I had took a shower while Brittany waited for me downstairs. Once I was finished and dressed, we were getting into my car and her teeth were chattering. She only had on my T-shirt, her coat and shoes. I had offered her something warmer, but she had declined. I should have insisted. I turned on the heat in my car as soon as I could, but it had to warm up. I looked over at her and she was physically shaking, I felt bad.

"I'll be right back, okay?" I told her, getting out of my car and running up to the front door. I went into the hall closet and grabbed the heaviest blanket I could find. With the blanket under my arm, I headed back outside. I opened the passenger side door and wrapped the blanket around Brittany's body then buckled her in.

"I can't have my girlfriend freeze to death," I told her, pecking her lips quickly before shutting the door and going around to get in. I backed out of the driveway and began to the cautious drive to drop Brittany off at home. When I pulled up to her house, I reached over and unbuckled her seatbelt.

"I'll see you later?" she asked, looking at me.

"Absolutely," I said, "and I'll text you after practice."

Brittany nodded, folding up the blanket, setting it in the back seat. She grabbed her dress and placed her hand on the door handle.

"You're not leaving without saying goodbye, are you?" I asked, jutting out my bottom lip.

She laughed and leaned over to kiss me. "I love you," she said when we broke apart.

"I love you, too, baby" I replied, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"Goodbye, Gerard," she said, opening the door.

"Bye, Britt," I said as she got out. I watched her walk up to her front door and open it. She turned and waved at me before going inside. With her safely inside, I pulled away from the curb and headed to Bob's for practice.