Touched by an Angel, Though I Fall Out of Grace

Three

Brittany’s POV

When seventh period finally came, I was ecstatic. I walked in and took a seat at my usual table and while Damon went to get his painting out of the storage closet. I pulled my sketchpad and began drawing. There was a girl that, I must admit, resembled me quite well and a guy with intriguing hazel eyes. I smiled at my work before adding more detail to it.

When the bell rang, I jumped and looked up from my sketchpad. My eyes connected with his, I smiled at him and waved but turned away before I could see if he waved back to put my stuff in my bag. I waited for Damon to put his painting back in the closet and then he came back over to me and grabbed his stuff. As we were walking out the door I turned to him again and waved. He waved this time and we were looking at each other, then Damon took my wrist and pulled me out the door.

“Brittany. Brittany. Brittany.” Damon said with a shake of his head.

“What was the point in saying my name three times?” I asked.

“You are so blind.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You’ve been given a miracle and you don’t even realize it. But I’m not helping with this one, not this time. Figure it out on your own.” Damon said.

We were walking until we came to my house. I took the spare key from my pocket and unlocked the door and we walked in. The first thing I did was walk to the back room and unlocked Ares’s pin and he came out and began running around in circles and barking. I smiled and refilled his bowl with water. Afterwards, I walked back to the living room and sat on the sofa where Damon had already started his homework. I sat next to him and pulled out my own homework.

When I was done with my homework, I reached into my bag and pulled out my sketchpad. I reached for my pencil and began drawing again. As I finished the last details, I set my pencil down and smiled once again. Damon looked over my shoulder at the drawing and smiled.

“Do you remember Jason Edmonson?” he asked.

I nodded, “What about him?”

“Remember I was in love with him, the adorable former senior baseball player.”

“I don’t understand what you’re talking about.”

“I’m just saying that you don’t really have to know a person to feel connected to them.”

I rolled my eyes at Damon and closed my sketchbook just as my mom walked in through the door.

“Hello kids.” She said and set her purse by the coffee table.

“Hi, mom,” I said.

“Hey, Mrs. Davis,” Damon said with a wave.

My mom sat down in the chair that was beside the window. She took her shoes off and curled up with her hands in her lap. “How was your day today, Brittany?”

“Umm, it was alright. How was yours?”

“It was good. Although, I did not enjoy giving a snake antibiotics.” My mom said as she shuddered.
I grimaced, she was afraid of snakes and so was I.

I scrunched my nose and said, “I’m sorry.”

“Oh cool. What kind of snake?” Damon asked.

“Umm, I believe it was a corn snake. It was red and white in color and the way it slithered across the table made me want to stand on a chair until it was prepared to leave.”

“That’s cool.” Damon said with a smile.

“No it’s not.” My mom and I said at the same time.

Damon laughed and said, “Maybe I should get a pet snake and keep it in my room.”

“You do that and I will never come to your house again.” I told him and he smiled.

For a while the only sound in the room was Ares barking and pawing at the floor trying to keep control of his ball. Damon looked at the clock on the wall and began putting his stuff away. He stood up and said, “I should probably go. Today’s the day my brother gets out of the hospital again and Mom wants to make a big dinner. See you later, Brittany. Goodbye Mrs. Davis.”

Damon began walking to the door when I yelled, “Wait! I’ll go with you, besides I need to walk Ares anyway.”

I grabbed the leash from the coat rack near the front door and clipped it to Ares’s collar. “I’ll be back in a little while, Mom.” I called and walked out the door. Damon and I were walking along the sidewalk and I started singing “Imaginary” by Evanescence.

“Swallowed up in the sound of my screaming

Cannot cease for the fear

Of silent nights

Oh how I long for the deep sleep dreaming

The goddess of imaginary light

In my field of paper flowers

And candy clouds of lullaby…”

Shortly we arrived at Damon’s house. I followed him to the door and we stood there for a while. He opened the door and before he even walked in, we could hear screaming and shouting coming from the inside. Damon hung his head and I took his hand and squeezed it reassuringly. He looked up at me and smiled. “Bye Brittany.”

“Bye Damon. I’ll see you in the morning.” I told him.

Damon nodded his head and said, “Yeah, in the morning. Love you, Britt.”

“Love you too, Damon.” I called as he walked into his house and shut the door. I turned and began walking Ares while beginning “Imaginary” over in my mind. I was holding the leash loosely in my hand and looking at the ground when there was a slight pull. Ares’s leash slipped out my hand and he took off. I groaned and went after him.

“Ares!” I called. I was getting tired when I seen Ares sitting on the ground obediently. I looked up to see a familiar looking guy holding his leash. I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to stick a name but I couldn’t.

“Is he yours?” the guy asked.

I nodded and said, “Yeah, he is. Thanks.”

“No problem. Here you go.” He said while handing me the leash.

I took while still trying to figure out who he was. “I’m sorry, but do I know you from somewhere?”

He laughed and then said, “You should. I’ve been in all your class since kindergarten.”

“Name, please?”

“I’m Mikey Way.”

I thought for a minute then said “Yeah… you’re the kid that never spoke to the other kids in class. It’s as if you were playing mind games with them or something.”

Mikey laughed and nodded his head. “Yepp, that’s me. Well I should head home. It’s getting late.”

I nodded and said, “Thanks again.” He waved and began walking away. I smiled and started my walk back home. When I walked through the front door, I heard music coming from the kitchen. I walked in there and seen my mom cooking dinner.

“Hey, honey. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes.”

“Alright,” I said as I took Ares’s leash off his collar and he started running around. I went over to the kitchen sink and washed my hands and then set the table. I fixed myself a plate and sat at the table and my mom sat across from me. The only sound in the room was forks scraping on plates and chewing; even Ares had quieted down and layed in his dog bed by his water bowl.
After dinner, I washed the dishes and put them away. Then I headed upstairs to take a shower and change clothes. I was in my bedroom lying in bed with Ares close to me while listening to my Evanescence “Fallen” album on my CD player. “Bring Me to Life” had barely finished playing by the time my eyes closed and I fell asleep.