Touched by an Angel, Though I Fall Out of Grace

Four

It was the first day of fall and there was a slight chill in the air that clung to my jacketless body as I walked to school with my best friend, Damon Pattinson. I crossed my arms in attempt to warm myself up… but I failed epically. Damon looked down at me and chuckled. He shrugged out his jacket and handed it to me. I took it gratefully.

“Thanks.” I said.

“It’s no problem.” He responded.

We approached Belleville High School and sat down on a bench. I reached my hand into Damon’s jacket pocket and pulled out a package of Cookies and Crème Pop Tarts. I opened it and handed Damon one while I took a bite of the other one. Damon and I were sitting there minding our own business when I seen him walk by with his friends. I watched them for a while and soon as they had passed us, I smiled to myself.

Damon and I sat there and talked until the bell rang. I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder and so did Damon. We walked into the building and too our lockers.

“I will see you at lunch, Ms. Davis.” Damon said with a terrible British accent.

“Your British accent is terrible. And yes, Mr. Pattinson we’ll see each other again at lunch.” I said.

Damon gave me a hug and then I headed to English class. I sat in my usual seat and opened my Literature book. I took out my notebook just as the teacher walked in. “Alright class, pair up and go over your notes for Romeo & Juliet for the test tomorrow.”

I was tapped on the shoulder and I turned around to see Mikey standing behind me with his English notebook in hand. “You wanna be partners?”

I smiled and said, “Sure.” Mikey pulled a desk closer to where I was sitting. He opened his notebook and I opened mine. I let out an exasperated sigh and said, “Okay what do you wanna go over first?”

“What’s your favorite color?” he asked.

“That has nothing to do with Romeo & Juliet.” I stated.

Mikey shrugged his shoulders and waited for an answer. I shook my head and said, “Red and Black.” He picked up his pen and wrote that into his notebook. “Anything else?” he asked.

“Umm, my full name is Brittany Nicole Davis. I was born on September 15th, 1987. My mom’s name is Melissa Sara Davis she’s from London, England and she’s a vet here in town. Like I said, my favorite colors are red and black. I like to read, write, draw, sing and be with my best friend. A few months ago I got a Miniature Pinscher puppy which I named Ares, because I’m currently obsessed with Greek mythology. I think that’s pretty much it.” I said.

“You didn’t mention your dad’s name. What does he do?” Mikey asked as he pushed his glasses up a little bit.

My expression changed completely when he asked about my father. I could tell he noticed because he said, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring up a subject that’s hard for you to talk about.”

“No, it’s alright.” I said. “Can I trust you with something?”

Mikey nodded his head. “You have to swear to me that you can’t tell.”

“Okay. I, Michael James Way, promise on the River of Styx that I will not repeat what you are about to tell me. And if I do may my soul be sent to the depths of the Underworld.” Mikey said with his hand over his heart.

“Okay… I’ll tell you about him first. His name was Christopher Lee Davis, he was from Trenton and he met my mom when he visited England after graduating from college. He was a lawyer. He proposed to my mom on Valentine’s Day and they got married in the spring.” I said. I stopped to take a breath and to stop the tears from coming.

“And last year just before summer vacation we had taken my grandmother to the doctors and on our way back it had started raining. It had gotten dark and the roads had gotten slippery. Then out of nowhere this semi-truck came and crashed into our car. The car spun completely around and then flipped over. My grandmother died on impact and my dad had to be taken to the hospital but he died hours later.” I said and tears started falling.

I felt Mikey put his hand on my shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

I nodded and said, “So am I.”

For the rest of the hour, I had my head on my desk and I went over a few questions with Mikey. When the bell rang I stood up and put my stuff in my bag. Mikey hugged me and then walked with me to my locker. I said goodbye to him and headed U.S. History. As I was walking in the hallway, I saw Damon. He stopped me and asked, “Britt what’s the matter?”

“Nothing.” I said.

“Brittany?”

“Damon it’s nothing. Look, we’re both gonna be late for class.”

Damon looked at me skeptically before saying, “Okay, but this conversation isn’t over. I’ll talk to you about at lunch.”

“Yeah alright.” I said and walked away before he could say something else. I headed to class and took my seat just as the teacher came in. For the next forty-five minutes I worked on the chapter review questions and definitions.

*Lunch*

I was working on my math assignment when the bell rang. I packed up my stuff and went to put my stuff in my locker and then headed to cafeteria. I saw Damon at our usual table already with his food. I didn’t bother getting in line for food and I walked over to the table. I sat across from Damon and he looked at me.

“You want half of this?” Damon asked, gesturing to his sandwich.

I took the other half and took a bite. I set it down on a napkin and took a drink of Damon’s water. Damon looked at me and said, “So are you gonna tell me what happened or do I have to guess?”

“It’s nothing, Damon.” I said.

“If it’s nothing, then why were you crying?”

“Just drop it. Please?”

“Fine.” Damon said and took another bite of his sandwich. I looked up and noticed him staring at me again. I smiled at him slightly and he smiled back before turning back around.

Gerard’s POV

I was heading to lunch with Ray and when we walked in we headed to our table. Mikey, Frank and Bob were already there. I sat down across from Mikey and he smiled at me. Mikey handed me a folded piece of paper.

“What’s this?” I asked.

“I think I found her, so just open it.” Mikey said.

I opened the paper and read over it. I looked up at Mikey then in her direction. I finally looked back at Mikey and asked, “Is this her?”

Mikey gave me another smile and nodded his head.

“Thanks.” I told him.

“It was no−” Mikey started but I cut him off.

“No. This is really fantastic. Thanks.”

“What is that?” Ray asked.

“Read it aloud, pretty please.” Frank begged.

I sighed and then read it. “Name, Brittany Nicole Davis. DOB September 15th, 1987. She’s American-British. Her mother’s name is Melissa Sara Davis who works as a vet here in town and is also from London, England. Favorite colors are red and black. Hobbies include reading, writing, singing, drawing, and being with her best friend. She has a Miniature Pinscher puppy named Ares and she’s currently obsessed with Greek mythology.”

“Is this all about her?” Bob asked.

“Yepp.” Mikey said proudly.

“Now you can talk to her.” Ray

“Yeah, that’s not happening.” I said. The guys looked at me in disbelief before turning back to their conversation and I looked over at her. She had a sad expression on her face. Then she looked up and noticed me. She gave me a small smile and I smiled back before turning around again. I sat there with the piece of paper in my hands and made a promise to myself. I would talk to her in the next month or I would forget about her completely.