I Want Crazy

Prologue

“It’s a girl!” the nurse shouted as she began to cradle the baby in her arms. The nurse lifted the screaming child up for her parents to see. The husband and wife looked at each other; the woman with a smile on her face and the man looking conflicted.

“Are you sure?” the man asked the nurse, with all sincerity. The nurse drew back, unprepared for this type of question. The nurse looked down at the child in her arms and nodded.

“Yes, sir. It’s a girl.”

“She’s crying.” The woman pointed out. “Why is she crying? None of my other girls cried. Why is she? Is she okay?”

“Your baby is fine, Mrs. Parker. Perfect, in fact.” The nurse assured, handing the child off to another nurse to get her cleaned. “A natural child birth is different from those that we practice today. She is fine.” Mrs. Parker, sighed in relief. Her husband looked at the nurse once more.

“Are you one hundred percent sure that it’s a girl? I was sure this one was a boy. I could feel it.” Mr. Parker insisted.

“Sir, I have been practicing medicine for almost twenty-five years. Even still, you don’t need a degree to determine a human female from a human male.” The nurse said. The man simply nodded, utterly defeated.

“Thomas, please don’t do this. We’re blessed. Four girls.” Mrs. Parker begged. “Please just be okay with it. I don’t want to do this again.”

“It was supposed to be a boy.” The man whined. Mrs. Parker shook her head, leaning back down onto her pillow, tired out. The nurse came back into the room, holding a little pink bundle.

“Mr. Parker?” the nurse asked. The man turned to the nurse. “Would you like to hold your daughter, Mr. Parker?” The nurse walked to him, carefully passing over the baby to the taller man, who held her close. Mr. Parker held his new baby girl in his arms, looking down at her. In her, she saw himself. Her head had light hair, different from her earlier sisters who all had their mom’s dark and curly mop. Instantly, Mr. Parker was taken with this little girl. He loved all of his children, but he knew that he’d find this daughter to be his unmentioned favorite.

“She’s beautiful.” He said. He turned to his wife. “Cadence, can I name her? I want least want one child named after me.”

Mrs. Parker shook her head. “I’m not having a daughter named Thomas.”

“Just a middle name. We’ll name her after my mother. We’ll call her Reagan.” Thomas moved over to show his wife their daughter.

“Reagan Thomas Parker?” Cadence asked, taking her daughter from her husband. “I think she looks like a Reagan. It’s perfect.”