I Want Crazy

.09

Thursday.

After realizing that the Kobayashi Maru was unlike a regular test, Jim agreed to take it. He was going to prove that he could beat the unbeatable test. It made him confident that he, at least, had Tom on his side, believing that he could outsmart the jackass who created it.

“What is the point of an unbeatable test?” Jim asked Tom as he joined her at a table for lunch.

Tom shrugged. “Beats me. But, hey, after you pass it and meet the guy who made it, you should ask him.” Tom joked before taking a drink. “Urgh, I really wish I could be there to see the look on his smug face when you pass.”

“So, come then. I’m sure you could step out of your engineer comfort zone for an hour or two. Take a spot in the simulation. I’d be happy to kick someone out. It’d be fun.”

Tom shook her head. “I can’t. I have my make-up test this afternoon, remember?”

“A make-up test?” Jim questioned. “For what?”

“My Tactical Analysis test from last week.”

“We were studying for that test for days,” Jim exclaimed, “How in hell did you manage to fail it?”

“Why do you assume that I failed it?” Tom furrowed her brow. “You know I haven’t failed a single test since I got here.”

“You’re welcome.” Jim smiled, reminding her that was his doing. “So what happened? If you didn’t fail, why do you have to retake it?”

“I never took the test in the first place.”

Jim faked a shocked gasp. “Tommy, did you skip class to go bang Johnny behind the bleachers again? You’re starting to get a reputation.”

“Uh, it’s Tom.” She corrected, shaking her head and laughing. “I was excused from class. That’s the day Pike came to talk to me about getting you to take the Kobayashi Maru. He took me out of class himself. Practically forced the guy to let me make it up in front of everyone. It was actually quite embarrassing.”

“He really wants me to take this test.”

“He really wants you to be captain.” Tom clarified. “As do I. Just shows how much confidence people have in the good you could do.”

“Please, stop.” Jim begged. “I’ve had enough of you singing my praises. I’m taking the stupid test. You’ve done your job and talked me into it. What more could you want?”

“You to pass.” She responded simply. “Then you should request me as your chief engineer.” she smiled.

“Wouldn’t want anything less.”

“Good. You couldn’t find anyone better at my job anyway. I have been working on ships for as long as I can remember.”

Jim smiled, laughing silently. “You know, I held up my end of our bargain.”

“What bargain?” Tom asked.

“I agreed to take the test. But you never told me who that guy was from the other day.”

Tom’s cheeks instantly turned bright red. “I - I didn’t?” She asked, getting a headshake from Jim. “I could’ve sworn that I did.”

“Hmm, well, you didn’t. So who is he?”

“His name is Grey. He was in my group for an engineering project last year.”

“Okay? So?”

“So what?” Tom repeated. “He’s a guy.”

“Tom, he’s a guy who has you all red-faced and weak at the knees.”

Tom shook her head. “No, he’s not.”

“Tom, c’mon. I know you.” Jim pointed out. “Who is he?”

“He is a guy…” Tom sighed. “Who I am going out for burgers and a drink with tomorrow night.”

“Tommy has a date?” Jim assumed. “Well, shit.”

“It’s not a date and my name is Tom.” She stressed quickly. “Please do not call it a date because it’s not a date, we’re just going out for burgers. You and I do that all the time. It’s not a date, then, is it?” Tom questioned.

“No, but you also don’t get nervous when you bump into me in the hallways. He is different.”

“Maybe, but right now, it’s just dinner.” Tom took the last bite of her sandwich.

Jim was eyeing her with a winning smile.

“Jim, please don’t bother me about this. I’m already freaking out about it enough. Spare me any more of the humiliation.”

“This shouldn’t be humiliating, Tom. I think it’s great. You’re finally getting out there again.”

“What’s that supposed to mean? I’m out there.”

“Since we got to the Academy, you have only slept with me.” Jim pointed out.

“Not true. I slept with Leo that one night.”

“That one night. One drunken night. So you’ve slept with only two people. Probably a big change since home.”

“I’ve been studying. What’s the big deal?”

“But you decide now to go to dinner with this guy. Aren’t you still studying?”

Tom pursed her lips. “I don’t need this. I only have a couple more hours until my test.” She stood from her seat. “If you need me, for an emergency, I’ll be in the library ‘til then.”

“How many times are you gonna leave me alone in the cafeteria?” Jim called as she left.

“As many times as it takes for you to realize you say a lot of stupid stuff.”

!@#$#@!

Later that night, Tom had finished her test and was finally stress-free, if only for a few hours. Her dinner with Grey did have her freaking out a little bit. Mostly because she didn’t want any kind of serious relationship with Grey and she almost thought he might.

Putting the thought from her mind, Tom grabbed a couple of stray containers of her favorite booze from her room and made her way towards Jim’s quarters. She rang the bell next to the door, and waited for a response.

“Identify.” Jim’s voice sounded through the speaker.

“Only your best friend with booze.” Tom joked.

“Door. Open.”

The door slid open and Tom entered Jim’s room with a smile on her face. “So are we drinking in celebration of your passing or to wallow in self-pity?”

Jim sat on his bed, staring at Tom for a moment. He sighed, falling backwards onto his back.

Tom stuck out her lower lip in a pout. “Self-pity it is then.” She moved to Jim’s desk, using it as a support to twist off the top of a bottle. Tom walked to the bed, pulled Jim back into a seated position, sat next to him, and held the bottle out to him. “That bad, huh?” she asked, opening her own container.

Jim grabbed at the glass and took a large swig. “That test is ridiculous. A fucking unbeatable test has no purpose in a school where we’re supposed to be learning things.”

“I completely agree.” Tom added to his rant.

“An unbeatable test doesn’t teach me anything but frustration. If they want me to be a captain, why make the test to get there unpassable?”

“I think it’s impassable, Jim.”

Jim groaned. “Maybe it’s just me, then. How the hell can I pass an impassable test if I’m fucking up simple grammar?”

“Hey.” Tom said, forcing Jim to look at her. “Do something for me, will you?” She asked.

“You already told me what I’m good at. You can’t sucker me with that one again.”

“I know. That’s not what this is about.” She said, earning a furrowed brow from Jim. “Put the bottle to your lips. Then tilt your head back, drinking until you can’t breathe.”

“Sounds kinda dangerous, Tommy. You sure?”

“Jim, do I sound like I’m joking?” She said with an eyebrow raised.

Jim moved the bottle to his lips.

“Besides, both of our roommates are on the med-track. If anything does go wrong, I’ll comm. them once I stop laughing.”

He didn’t find this very comforting and paused his actions.

“Gosh, Jim, I’m joking.” Tom put her own hand on his bottle. “C’mon Kirk, bottoms up.” She gave the glass a push, helping him drink.

Seconds later, Jim was forcing the bottle down and away from his mouth, almost coughing the liquid back up. He held it, swallowing it with a pained look on his face. Jim groaned against the burning sensation in the back of his throat.

“There you go.” Tom cheered. “Now, how did that feel?” she asked, taking her own drink, then setting the bottle on Jim’s side table.

“Like I got stabbed in the throat.” Jim coughed.

“Good. That’s how it should feel.”

“That is awful.” Jim insisted. “Why did I do that?”

“Because it’s supposed to take the edge off. That way, you won’t resist when I…” Tom smirked, turning herself so she straddled over Jim’s lap. “The way I see it, you just need to get your mind off that stupid test.” She leaned down taking soft bites to Jim’s neck, receiving small gasps from him. “You’re thinking about it too much, and it will drive you crazy.”

Jim groaned. “You might be onto something.”

Tom drove her hips into his, making Jim gasp at the friction. She leaned back a little bit, grabbing the hem of his shirt, pulling it off one arm at a time because of the bottle he was still holding.

Jim writhed underneath Tom, not liking that she was taking her sweet time. He put his hand under her thigh standing up and taking her with him. Jim dropped his alcohol bottle on the table next to hers and threw her onto his bed. He crawled on top of her and instantly started to grind his hips to hers.

Tom sighed, enjoying the contact as much as Jim did. In between breaths, she managed come back to her sense for a moment. “Hey, Jim.” She said. “When is Leo back?”

Jim pulled her into a seated position to pull her shirt off. “Not for a while.” He mumbled into her shoulder. “Trust me. We’ve got plenty of time.”

!@#$#@!

Friday Night.


Tom stood in front of her open closet, not seeing anything that she could wear to her dinner with Grey. The blonde groaned, frustrated, and pushed her hair out of her face. She threw herself backwards onto her bed. “What the hell am I doing?” Tom asked aloud. “Why am I freaking out so much?”

The doorbell chimed and she quickly pushed herself off of her bed and moved to the door. “He’s early.” Tom complained. “Who’s ever early?” Tom hit the button to open her door. It slid open to reveal Jim. She groaned. “Of course it’s you. What do you want?” Tom asked.

“That’s a hell of a greeting, Tommy. Especially after last night.” Jim joked. He pushed himself into her room and noticed the mess of clothes on the ground and covering her bed. “Shit, it’s like a bomb went off in here.” Jim noted. “What, are you redecorating?”

“I’m getting dressed,” she said, grabbing an armful of her clothes from her bed and throwing them in her closet.

“I didn’t know you worked fashion shows.”

Tom pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes at Jim as he took a seat on her bed. “What are you doing here?”

“I just came to talk. It’s been a slow day.”

Tom laughed sarcastically. “I’m sure you haven’t noticed because you’re usually extremely oblivious, but I’m in the middle of something. So, if you wouldn’t mind coming back another day, I’d really appreciate it.”

Jim looked like a lightbulb went off in his head. “That’s right. Your date is tonight, isn’t it?” He mused.

“It’s not a date.” Tom grumbled.

Jim laughed and nodded. “Right. You’re just going out to dinner with a guy who you like so much you get nervous just talking about him. But you’re right. It’s totally not a date.” Jim joked.

Tom groaned and plopped herself on the bed next to Jim. “You’re right. It is a date.”

“I’m sorry. What was that?”

“Don’t make me say it again.” She begged, shaking her head. “Just help me. I have no idea what I’m doing.”

“You think I do?” Jim questioned.

“I hoped you knew something.” Tom threw herself backwards on her bed. “What the hell did I get myself into? I don’t do this shit.” she claimed. “I don’t date. I hook-up. I have sex with random guys at bars, leave in the middle of the night, and never see them again.” Tom complained.

“That didn’t happen to me.” Jim pointed out. “We seem to be getting along just fine.”

Tom scoffed at his comment.

“Guess not.” Jim joked.

She sat up. “No, I mean, you and I are fine. We’re friends. We’ve had our share of weird, complicated moments, but we’re good.”

“Then, what’s the problem?” Jim asked.

“I don’t know this guy. I don’t know if he wants more than tonight. I don’t think I can do more than just tonight.”

“So ask him.” Jim shrugged. “Ask him what his intentions are.”

“Are you kidding? I can’t do that. That’s really embarrassing.”

“Then I’ll ask him.”

Tom laughed, getting to her feet. “You’re really funny. But you won’t be talking to him at all. In fact, you should probably leave before he gets here. Which should be soon, so if you don’t mind - ”

“Wait.” Jim said, standing and moving to Tom’s closet. He rummaged inside for a minute as Tom shook nervously. Jim turned back around with a blue knit dress on his arm. “You should wear this.” He said with a large grin.

“That?” Tom questioned. “I didn’t even know I had that.”

“I made you buy it. Last year. You haven’t worn it?”

Tom shrugged. “I can’t wear that. It’s way too dressy. I’m going to a bar. I really don’t think that’s appropriate.”

“Of course, it’s appropriate. It’ll knock his socks off.” Jim pointed out. “He’s probably never seen you in something other than your uniform or jeans and a t-shirt, so hopefully it’ll knock off more than just socks.”

“That’s all I wear. It’s what I’m comfortable in. I’m not gonna put that on and be even more uncomfortable than I already will be.”

Her door chimed a second later allowing her to drop the subject. However, it also caused Tom’s heart to stop as she paused in the middle of the room. “Shit. That’s him.”

“Great.” Jim said cheerfully. “Now I get to meet him officially.” He made his way to the door but was stopped.

Tom grabbed onto his arm. “Oh, hell, no.” She pushed him towards the closet as the door chimed again. “Respond.” She called to the doorbell. “I’ll be there in a second.”

“C’mon. Just a quick hello.” Jim begged jokingly.

She pushed him into the desk chair. “Don’t say one word. When I leave, wait five minutes, then you leave. If you’re here when I come back, I will file a restraining order. Got it?”

Jim just smiled in response.

Tom groaned and stomped to the door anyway. She pressed the button to open the door. It slid open and the blonde greeted Grey with a smile. Tom gave him a once over and noticed he was wearing slacks and a dress shirt. “I am really underdressed.” she stated, looking down to her jeans and fitted shirt. “Give me just five min - ”

“No.” Grey said quickly. “You look great. I had a meeting.”

“A meeting?” Tom questioned. “That sounds very adult.” Tom felt someone approach behind her and was reminded that Jim was still in the room.

“Well, Tommy, that’s probably because we’re adults.” Jim joked, clapping a hand around her shoulder. “You must be Grey.” he said, removing his palm from Tom and holding it out to Grey.”

“Yeah, you’re Kirk, right?” Grey questioned, confused by his appearance.

Tom stuttered, ten times more nervous than she was moments ago. “Jim was just stopping by for a minute.”

“She’s nervous. Asked for my advice.” Jim whispered to Grey.

Tom quickly elbowed Jim in the stomach, making him groan. She laughed nervously. “He’s joking.” She explained. “He came over on his own accord.” Tom glared behind her at Jim.

“Right. I thought I left something here, but I didn’t. So, I’ll be going.” Jim slid around Tom, trying to make a quick exit.

Grey held out his hand again to Jim. “It was nice meeting you.”

Jim stared at his hand for a second, confused, before taking it and shaking it once more. “Yeah, you too.” And he turned to leave

Tom watched him saunter down the hall.

“He’s a funny guy.” Grey stated, getting Tom’s eyes on his.

She laughed. “He likes to think so. He’s really just a pain.” Tom shifted nervously. “You ready?”

Grey smiled and nodded. “Yeah, let’s go.”

!@#$#@!

“You’re kidding?” Grey countered.

Tom shook her head. “I couldn’t make this up. He was spouting off all these facts about the dangers of being in space. He was freaking out, arguing with the pilot. I was half-convinced I’d have to knock him out.”

“He did know that StarFleet is a space exploration project, didn’t he?”

“Of course.” Tom insisted. “But Leo is a scientist. He knows facts. I, however, would’ve rather not known what could happen.” Tom took a sip from her beer glass. “Somehow we’ve managed to stay best friends the whole time.”

“And you and Kirk? You said he was there, too. Is that how you met? On the carrier?”

“Uh, no.” She looked down at her hands on the table. “We met the night before. At a bar.” She pursed her lips nervously, trying to judge what his reaction would be.

Grey took in a deep breath and nodded. “Is that why he came?” He asked. “Because you were?”

“I hope not.” Tom smiled. “It’s not like that with us. We’re friends and he’s helped me study when I needed it.” She swallowed. “But after that night, that’s all it’s been.” Tom lied. She couldn’t bring herself to tell him how it really was. Here Grey was, this seemingly perfect man, who’d been so nice to her. Then, she was there, living a not so perfect life.

“You two seem pretty close.”

“W-we are, just not in the way you’d expect.” Tom tried.

Grey nodded, believing her. “I’m really glad you agreed to dinner.” he said, making Tom sigh quietly in relief. “You made quite the impression that day with your sister.”

“I’m known to leave many impressions. Which did I leave with you?” Tom asked curiously.

“A prominent one. You were very confident about it. I have trouble joining someone’s table, even if I’ve known them for years. You’ve known me for one class, hardly, because we never actually talked. Really all you did was tear down my idea.”

Tom smiled and shook her head. “Honestly, it wasn’t my intention, but I couldn’t afford to fail that project. I’m far behind on my schooling to be able to be here. Taking almost double the courseload to catch up.”

“That’s right. You said you’re here under special circumstances.”

Tom nodded. “I impressed Captain Pike. He came to my dad’s shop with a broken down carrier of twenty-five cadets. I fixed it up.” She shrugged. “It was really no big deal.”

Grey smiled, proudly. “You are all kinds of spectacular, do you know that?”

Tom bit her lip and blushed heavily. “I guess I do now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Author’s Note: I am really sorry for taking two months to update. I had half of this chapter written in that time and then sat down the other day to finish it. For my birthday present to myself, for you guys, I’m updating all of my active stories today. You should all feel lucky. :)

Thanks to Piper13_89 for your comment!

I’m considering not posting on Mibba anymore and moving strictly to FanFiction. I’m only considering it at this point, I haven’t made a final decision yet. Let me know if it would be awful for you guys to make the move.

Comment and subscribe! Love you guys!