I Want Crazy

.02

Tom couldn’t stop thinking about those blue eyes that had walked through the door. It was like a shade that she had never seen before. While talking with her sisters, she managed to steal glances towards the bar, where he sat. He was paying more attention to the drink in his hand than to anything going on around him. She kept trying to keep conversation with her sisters, but as she remembered his face they became more distracting. Tom wouldn’t go up to him. Her sister Emmeline, noticed that her focus was not on their conversation at all.

“Who’s he?” her sister asked.

Tom furrowed her brow, confused by the question. “What in the world are you talking about, Em?”

Emmeline laughed. “You’ve been staring at the guy at the bar since the second he walked in. It’s like you’re trying to undress him with your mind.”

Tom shrugged, embarrassed. “So?”

“So, Go talk to him.” Emmeline suggested.

Tom waved her sister off.” I don’t even know him. I’m not just gonna walk up to him and ask him to take me home.”

“Has knowing the guy ever stopped you before?” Yasmin questioned. Tom looked back to the guy sitting at the bar, slouched over his drink.

Tom sighed. “I do need a refill.” She said, looking down at the nearly empty glass in her hands. Tom bit her lip and looked to her sisters who were all nodded, trying to convince her to go. Tom groaned and pushed her seat out. “Why don’t you guys go home. I’ll get a cab and see you in the morning.” Her sisters agreed with their own excuses, as they all got up, hugged Tom and shuffled out of the bar. Tom walked up to the bar, empty glass in hand and taking slow breaths. She stood to the left of the mystery guy. “Hey, Sal? She called down the bar, to the tender. The man looked up from the spot. “Can I get topped?” she asked, tapping her glass.

Sal jerked his head to the back of the bar. “Why don’t you come on back here and get it yourself?” Sal asked. “I could use the help.”

“Sorry, man, I don’t work here anymore.”

Sal nodded, taking her glass and setting it in a bit to be washed. “Don’t you usually stop at three?” he aside, coming over with a new glass. She saw the man next to her look at her from the corner of his eye.

Tom shrugged. “I’m celebrating tonight.”

Sal smiled, and handed Tom her full glass. “Congratulations.” He said, then moved onto another customer. Tom lifted the glass to her lips and downed half of what she was given, and set it on the bar gently.

“What are you celebrating?” The man next to her asked, after clearing his throat. She turned to look in those blue eyes and nearly melted. She raised the corner of her mouth into a smirk.

“Wouldn’t you like to know.”

“I would, actually.” He smiled.

“Let’s just say that I’m moving up in the world.” Tom said, turning her glass in her hands. The man nodded.

“Well, I suppose that is reason to celebrate. Sal!” he said down the bar. Sal looked their way. “Can we get a couple shots down here? On me.”

“You don’t need to do that.” Tom insisted. “Sal, we’re fine.”

“Comin’ up!” Sal said, with a wink towards Tom. She groaned. Sal appeared before the two of them with two shot glasses filled with a bronze colored liquid. Tom didn’t’ care what exactly it was, but she knew it would get her to loosen up. the man picked up his shot and held it up to toast.

“To you,” he said. “a gorgeous woman, moving up.” Tom mimicked his actions, clinked her glass with his, and sent it down the hatch. She slammed her shot glass on the bar counter and let out a sigh. Tom thanked the man. He waved it off and looked behind him. Tom watched as his eyes followed one of the cadets up to the bar. She knew that she couldn’t compete with a short skirt. Tom sighed and tapped on the guy’s shoulder. “I wouldn’t.”

Blue Eyes looked back at her. “Excuse me?”

“I know what you’re thinking.” Tom accounted. “You’re gonna hit on her. I can tell you know, that it will probably end badly.”

He furrowed his brow. “How do you know that?”

Tom sat down in the barstool next to him, and took a drink from her beer. “She is in Star Fleet. If you take a quick look around, you’ll see that the bar is full of other cadets. Many who are twice your size. And if you don’t mind me being blunt, you seem like the kind of guy who’s looking for a fight. You wanna get a rouse outta the people here.”

“Do I really?” he asked. Tom nodded.

“Well, for one, you come in here acting like you own the place, when I’ve never even seen you before and I’ve lived in this town my entire life. You wink at me when you walk in and buy me a drink. Then as if I wasn’t standing right here, you’re checking out his other girl.” The man looked impressed with everything she was saying. “Seems to me that you don’t care what happens to your face.”

“Alright.” He said. “So let’s make a deal. If I get the shit beat outta me tonight, you can clean off my face and tell me ‘I told you so,’ while I take your crap and buy you drinks. If I don’t, you come home with me, and her.”

Tom smirked and shook her head. “I’ll take that bet,” she said, holding out her hand for him to shake it, which he did. He then turned to pay attention to what the cadet was ordering.

“Hi,” she said to Sal. “I’d like a Klabnian Fire Tea, three Budweiser Classics, two Cardassian Sunrises, and…”

“Try the Slusho. It’s good.” Sal insisted.

“The Slusho mix, thank you.”

“That’s a lot of drinks for one woman.” The man said, leaning around the one being in between them.

The girl ignored him and added to her order. “And a shot of Jack, straight up.”

“Make that two. Her shot’s on me.”

“Her shot’s on her.” she said, leaning over to tell the man directly. “Thanks, but no thanks.”

“Don’t you at least want to know my name before you completely reject me?”

“I’m fine without it.”

“You are fine without it.” Blue Eyes said. Tom watched as he failed, using his dumb excuse of a pick-up line. “It’s Jim, Jim Kirk.” Jim waited for the cadet to respond with her name. When she didn’t, he kept going. “If you don’t tell me your name, I’m gonna have to make one up.”

The cadet sighed. “It’s Uhura.”

“Uhura, no way!” Jim said, feigning surprise. “That’s the name I was gonna make up for ya.” Tom shook her head. Was this guy serious? Did he really think this was working? “Uhura what?”

“Just Uhura.” She said, shaking her head. Uhura thought he was being childish.

“They don’t have last names on your world?”

“Uhura is my last name.”

“Well then, they don’t have first names on your world?” Jim stood up and went to stand on the other side of Uhura, leaving Tom to sit alone and watch the show. “So, you’re a cadet. You’re studying. What’s your focus?” he asked.

“Xenolinguistics. You have no idea what that means.” Uhura told him with certainty.

“The study of alien languages, morphology, phonology, syntax.” He paused. “It means you’ve got a talented tongue.” Jim stole a glance at Tom, sending a smirk her way. Tom shook her head. He was actually getting better at trying to pick her up.

“I’m impressed.” Uhura said. “For a moment there, I thought you were just some dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.”

“Well, not only.” Jim’s comment made both Uhura and Tom laugh.

“This townie isn’t bothering you, right?” a burly man came up behind the two and stared down at Jim. Tom smiled. This is where it’s going to get good.

“Oh!” Uhura exclaimed, setting her empty shot on the bar. “Beyond belief. But it’s nothing I can’t handle.”

“You could handle me,” Jim said, quickly. That’s an invitation.”

“Hey!” the burly guy said. “You better mind your manners.”

“Oh, relax, Cupcake.” Jim responded, placing a hand on ‘Cupcake’s’ shoulder. “It was a joke.” Jim turned back to the bar.

“Hey, farmboy.” ‘Cupcake’ said, grabbing Jim’s shoulder and turning him back around. “Maybe you can’t count, but there are four of us, and one of you.”

“So, get some more guys and then it’ll be an even fight.” Jim said, in ‘Cupcake’s’ face before gently smacking it. Sure enough, Jim was smiling all throughout. His smile gave Tom the impression that he was trying to start a fight, just like she said he would. Jim turned back to the bar one more time, only to be stopped by ‘Cupcake,’ turned around, punched in the face. Tom jumped up out of her chair, shocked as Jim landed hanging over the bar.

“Stop it!” Uhura ordered. “Stop it, all of you!” ‘Cupcake’ went to punch Jim again, but Jim was kicked backwards, landing on a table. This sparked interest in ‘Cupcake’s cronies, who decided to have their go at beating Kirk. Jim managed to get in a few of his own, but he was outnumbered. Jim was hit again. He lost his balance and tripped towards the bar, catching himself on Uhura’s breasts. Tom gasped and then laughed. Uhura pushed him off of her. Once things started getting more violent, like when Jim started to use bottles as weapons, Tom thought to take it upon herself to stop it. Uhura wasn’t having any luck shouting at the angry cadets, and she wasn’t about to jump into the fight anytime soon. A cadet threw Jim onto the ground. ‘Cupcake’ went to pick him up again, but Tom stepped in front of him and quickly threw her fist into his face.

“Can’t you see that he’s had enough!” she shouted at the bigger man. The man recovered and held up his fist moving to punch her back. But Tom grabbed his fist with her left hand and punched him again with her right. “You wouldn’t hit a woman, would you?” she asked, innocently. Instead of trying to hit her again, he let out an angry breath and pushed her out of the way so that he could get his hands on Jim. Tim groaned and she was pushed into another cadet, who grabbed onto her shoulders. She quickly jerked her elbow back to hit in the stomach. ‘Cupcake’ had picked up Jim and slammed him onto a table. Tom came up behind the big man and started to hit him hard on his back with the sides of her fists. “Let him go! You’re gonna kill him!” she shouted.

Just then, a loud whistle sounded throughout the bar and everything stopped. Tom looked up seeing Captain Pike standing in the doorway. ‘Cupcake’ dropped Jim and stood up straight with respect for his commanding officer. “Outside. All of you.” Nobody moved. “Now!” Pike shouted. All of the cadets started to move themselves out of the bar. Tom looked over Jim and grabbed his arm to sit him up. He sat on the table, looking at her, trying to steady himself, as she dabbed at his face with a napkin.

Pike called to Jim. “You alright, son?” he asked. Tom took the napkin away from Jim’s face so that he could answer.

“You can whistle really loud, you know that?” Jim said, obviously a little out of his mind at the moment. Tom sighed and turned to the bartender.

“Sal, can we close this side up?” She asked. Sal nodded, agreeing, and then moved everybody who wasn’t in Star Fleet to the other side of the bar. Tom turned back to Jim. “I’ll go get you some ice, okay?” Jim nodded, feeling an ache in the side of his head as he did so. Pike just looked at him and shook his head. Tom came back a minute later with a bar rag full of ice. Jim was sitting in a chair and had bits of napkin stuck up his nose to hold off the bleeding. Tom shook her head and laughed, setting the ice on his head. “So,” she started, “You still wanna buy me those drinks?” Tom smiled. Jim faked a laugh, and grabbed ahold of the ice himself. Tom stood in front of Captain Pike. “Evening, sir.”

“Good evening, Ms. Parker. Or should I say Cadet Parker.” He said with a grin. Jim looked up at her, confused when he heard what the older man called her.

“Not until tomorrow morning, sir.” Tom corrected. “But I should thank you. My sister is very certain that it was on your recommendation that I was accepted into The Academy. While she believes in me, they find it hard to believe that I would have made it in on my own merit.”

“Why not?” The Captain asked, confused. “You’re good at what you do.”

“That may be so, all of my sisters have degrees. I only have the hands-on training from my father.”

Pike nodded, and then gestured to Jim. “Do you know this man?”

Tom shrugged. “Other than the fact that his name is Jim Kirk, not really, sir.” She said. Pike gave a curious glance at the young man.

“Interesting.” He said, moving to sit down next to Jim.

“Can I order you anything, sir? I’m sure that Jim wouldn’t mind paying.”

“No, thank you.” Pike turned to Jim. “You know, I couldn’t believe it when she told me who you were.”

“And who am I, Captain Pike.” Jim asked, sarcastically.

“Your father’s son.” Pike said, simply. Then it all clicked for Tom. Jim Kirk. James Kirk was the son of the late George Kirk, captain of the USS Kelvin when it was destroyed twenty-something years ago.

“Oh, gosh.” Tom gasped. “You’re…” she trailed off.

“Guilty.” Jim said. He raised his glass towards her. “Can I get another one?” Tom nodded, taking his glass and going to refill it. She stood at the bar, watching the two men carry on a conversation. Jim was probably throwing sarcastic remarks as Pike talked to him. Sal came behind her on the bar.

Tom sighed. “Why didn’t you tell me who he was?” Sal shrugged, with a smile on his face. Tom groaned. “You’re a dick.” She told the bartender as she grabbed a new clean bar rag and wet it. Once Captain Pike stood, Tom rejoined Jim at the table.

“Riverside Shipyard. The shuttle for new recruits leaves tomorrow oh-eight hundred.” Pike informed Jim, who only nodded, not really caring. Tom took a seat next to Jim, sliding him his refill. “You know, your father was Captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved eight hundred lives, including your mother’s. And yours. I dare you to do better.” Pike said. Tom watched as Jim just looked away from the elder man. “Parker.” He said, earning the blond’s attention. “I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

“Yes, sir. Thanks again.” Pike nodded and made his exit. The two sat in silence for a couple minutes, not really paying any attention to the other. Tom sighed. “Let’s get you cleaned up, huh?” she said, turning in her chair to face him. Jim nodded, and turned to face her and she began to wipe the blood from his face with the wet rag. He only watched her as she worked diligently.

“Thanks.” He said, finally. Tom met his eyes, briefly.

“For what?” she asked.

“Throwing punches for some random guy you met in a bar.” He said, with a grin. Tom rolled her eyes and shrugged her shoulder, before turning back to washing the blood.

“Those jackasses had it coming.” She said, “So did you, but I had to stop it. Even though, I think that you did that on purpose.”

“Yeah?”

Tom nodded. “That way…you could buy me drinks all night.” Tom smiled.

“I don’t even know your name, Parker.” Jim said. “Or are you not going to tell me your first name either?”

Tom sighed, dropping the rag on the table. “It’s Tom.”

“Tom?” he questioned, raising an eyebrow. “You’re not secretly a guy, are you? ‘Cause I won’t be okay with that.”

“No.” Tom laughed. “I’m a girl.” She assured. “Thomas is my middle name, after my father.” She got the feeling that Jim still didn’t believe her. “My father thought that I was going to be a boy. He really wanted a boy. But he got me and my sisters instead. My name is Reagan Thomas Parker, but everybody calls me Tom.”

“You promise?”

Tom nodded. “Scout’s honor.”

Jim sighed in relief. “Thank God.”

Tom nodded, turning her attention back to Jim’s face. “How do you feel?”

“I can’t really feel anything, so I guess that’s good.”

“Nothing’s broken?”

Jim shook his head, looking like he didn’t want to talk about him. “You’re joining the Fleet.” Tom nodded, slowly.

“As of five hours ago, I have been accepted.”

Jim smirked. “Are you gonna wear those short dresses, too? I’d love to see that. Might actually be some sort of incentive for me to come.”

Tom rolled her eyes. “Is sex really all that you think about?”

“Pretty much, yeah.”

Tom laughed, quietly. “Good.” She smirked. Jim leaned back in his chair, finishing off his drink.

“I’ve lived here my entire life, same as you.” This surprised Tom. “I don’t know how I’ve never see you before. I mean, if I had, I would definitely remember you.”

“Well, I’ve never see you. I have a pretty good memory for faces.” Tom said. Jim shrugged it off. “Maybe you should join the Fleet anyway. Even if I don’t wear the skirts.” She said slyly. “Maybe Captain Pike thinks it’ll do you some good.”

“I’m doing plenty good here on Earth.” Jim joked. “Besides you don’t know much about me. I could be some dunce who can’t do anything right.”

“You are a dunce who can’t do anything right.” Tom told him. “But I think you could be more than that. I think that you could follow in your father’s footsteps.”

“Just because my dad was some sort of hero, doesn’t make me one.” He countered.

Tom scoffed. “You are completely missing what I’m saying. I’m not asking you to go to Star Fleet to be a hero. I think you’ve got great instincts, Kirk. You handled yourself really well with ‘Cupcake’. I think that, alone, would make you a great captain.” Tom paused. “And it would be nice to have a friend out there, other than my sister.” Jim gave her a look.

“I don’t know. I think it’s a load of crap if you ask me.”

“I’m not, but maybe you should take the night to think about it.” Tom insisted.

“I’d rather take the night to think about you.” Jim said, huskily, leaning towards her.

“You still think that you get to take me back to your place even though I won the bet?” Tom asked, narrowing her eyes at him. Jim shrugged.

“You wouldn’t have helped me out, if you didn’t want to in the first place.” She looked up into his eyes to see the seductive look in them.

She sighed. “Sal!” she turned to find the man at the bar. “Call us a cab?”

Sal nodded, “Sure thing, gorgeous.” He winked, and disappeared into the back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter two!! Tell me what you guys think, por favor. I love feedback, now matter what kind, so please!

Enjoy! :)<3