An Unexpected Twist

Month 1 (Tarin)

Month 1

Tarin

My morning sickness sucked. My stomach killed for hours and, to top it all off, I puked my guts out. I felt more like I was dying than creating life. It usually subsided after my shift at work. I guess it was more like all day sickness.

Mathieu usually came to my apartment after work. Amy was used to it. She would stay sometimes, but she would usually go “run errands”. She went to John’s. Everyone knew it.

I got home from work and went up to my apartment. I stopped when I saw Mrs. Murphy. The sweet blonde mother of five children, three in or graduated from college, an eleven year old, and a four year old. “Hi, Mrs. Murphy!” I said. She was the absolute sweetest person in the world and had become Amy’s and I’s second mothers. She would give advice on anything.

“Hello Tarin!” She said. “How’s everything going with the boyfriend?” I laughed. She didn’t know I was pregnant, but she did know about Mathieu.

“Great.” I said. Just then the elevator doors opened and Mathieu walked out.

“Speaking of the boyfriend.” She said. He heard that as he walked over.

“I hope only good things.” He said.

“Hello Mathieu.” Said Mrs. Murphy. “It’s good seeing both of you. I’ll leave you alone now though. I have some work to do before the kids get home from school.”

“Bye Mrs. Murphy.” I said. Mathieu and I walked into my apartment.

“You were only saying good things right?” Asked Mathieu.

“Of course!” I said. “I haven’t told her I’m pregnant yet. She wouldn’t be mad. She’d want to help me.” Mathieu and I continued to talk about what was going to happen over the next few months. Mostly who would and wouldn’t be angry or unsupportive. Later, we moved from standing in the kitchen to sitting together on the couch.

“I still can’t believe that there is a tiny human being growing inside of you.” He said.

“Trust me.” I said. “I can’t either.” I giggled. “But the doctor told me that my baby is the size of a grain of rice now.”