An Unexpected Twist

Month 5 (Tarin)

Month 5
Tarin

Today was my baby shower. Amy, Mathieu, John, and I were driving up together. I looked in the mirror. I was wearing a pink skater dress with yellow trim. I had clipped some of my hair in a gold monogrammed barrette, the rest of my hair tumbled down to my waist. I finished it off with some yellow heels. I knew it was January and that I was dressed for summer, but I decided to go all out with the shower theme.

Mathieu and I had been talking about having two children that would look exactly the same. I know that people say that a mother can tell the twins apart, but we were still a little concerned about confusing them. Mat and I decided to dress one in mostly pink, and the other in mostly yellow. I told my mother our plan so she decided to make our theme pink and yellow and to tell the guests to limit their gift color choices to pink and yellow.

All four of us piled into the car for the hour drive to my mother’s. John drove, while Amy co-piloted, which meant tell John everything she thought he was doing wrong. Mathieu and I sat in the back. He went with the theme too. He wore a normal suit, with a pink and yellow tie. John had on the same thing, just with a different tie, and Amy wore a yellow sweater dress with a pink scarf and matching shoes.

The hour went by quickly, I knew the road and could tell when we were getting close, but everyone knew we were in the right place when I saw the pink and yellow balloons and streamers at the door to the house.

The shower was supposed to be “A Pink and Yellow Midday Tea Shower”. We got out of the car and walked into the house. The usual living room pillows had been replaced by pink and yellow ones, the dining room had a display of pink and yellow treats, but the sun room was where my mother had really gone all out.

The furniture had been replaced by lots of round tables with white tablecloths that had either a pink or yellow square tablecloth as accent in the middle. On the tables with the yellow accents there was a vase with every flower you could think of all in different shades of pink, and the exact same thing with yellow flowers on the pink tables. She had also hung pink and yellow paper lanterns from the ceiling. Finally there was a pink chair with yellow pillows by a rectangle table with a white tablecloth and a sign that said “Gifts For the Mommy to Be!” She had outdone herself.

Most of the other guests had already arrived. My aunts and grandmother were all staying with my mother, and my cousins had helped set up. I loved my family, but they all looked like they could be the stars of “Real Housewives of Dallas”. And they all had southern belle accents, and blonde hair. Some of my other friends had made it too. People I knew from school and some of the girls who worked at the boutique with me.

“Honey I’m so glad you’re here!” Called my mother across the room. She was surrounded by my aunts. She motioned me over it see them.

“Oh Hun!” Said my Aunt Ava. “Look at that tummy!” She out her hand on my stomach.

“And you look so darling.” Said my other Aunt Patty Mae. “Especially for five months with twins!” I stood while my aunts touched my stomach and marvelled over me. Finally my mom announced that we were going to sit down for tea now.

I sat at a table with Mathieu, my mother, my mother’s two sisters and two brothers. The rest of the family was spread around at various tables, but the table with all of my friends stuck out like a sore thumb. They were the only ones who didn’t look like your typical cast of “Big Rich Texas”. I could spend all day comparing my family to TV shows. My favorite was that they could be from a cancelled show called “Good Christian Bitches”.

I was forced to stop with the comparisons when my mother said that it was time for me to open my gifts. I had never seen more pink and yellow tissue paper in my life. I started unwrapping. For every pink onesie, there was a matching yellow one. There were both pink and yellow bottles, and toys. Someone gave me an orange diaper bag, bottle dryer, and diaper dispenser. That was very clever, orange because I would use it for both kids.

When the shower was over we had to pack up the car and leave right away, because Mat and John had to be at Kettler for practice tomorrow. I said all of my goodbyes and we finally left.

“You have some family.” Said Mat as we left.

“Oh you have no idea.” I answered as I rested my head on his shoulder.