An Unexpected Twist

Month 5 (Mathieu)

Month 5

Mathieu

Tarin and I decided to move most of the stuff from her shower into my apartment. I had never seen that much pink or yellow in my life. I grabbed my keys and headed out the door on my way to practice.

“When do we get to meet the lady?” Asked Brooks as I walked into the locker room. I had been greeted with that question every morning for the last few weeks.

“You know what?” I said. “Come over on Sunday. You can meet her then.” Sunday was our day off and I was pretty sure Tarin would be okay with them coming over.

“Having a party, Mat?” Asked Mike. I groaned.

“I’m not having a party. I am having people over.” I said. “It is going to be quiet and civilized and you’re going to be on your best behaviors.” I was one of the younger players, but I felt like I was one of the more mature ones.
.........................................................................

“Matty?” Called Tarin. “When is everyone getting here?” She walked into the kitchen. She looked amazing. She had on a white boyfriend shirt with black leggings and a pair of black leather boots. It reminded me of the night I first saw her.

“Not for another half an hour.” I said. Then I gave her a quick kiss, and she turned around so I could hug her from behind. It was much easier that trying to hug from the front. Our baby girls got in the way when we did.

I hugged Tarin a little tighter and kissed her neck. Then there was a knock on the door. “Mat-tay!” Called someone from outside. I sighed, let go of Tarin, and opened the door.

“Hey Brooks.” I said “Hey Mike” They walked in. Brooks walked up to Tarin.

“Its so good to meet you.” He said. He shook Tarin’s hand.

“I know!” She replied. “I’ve been hearing about you for about five months.” she touched her belly.

“Mat has been telling us about your girls as well.” Stated Mike as he crossed the room to Tarin. “I’m thinking Michelle and Brook for names.” Tarin laughed.

“I don’t know. We haven’t really talked about names yet.” She laughed. “But we can consider those.”
...........................................................................

John and Amy came by later too, along with some other team members. Tarin and Amy got to meet some of the other player wives and girlfriends. They were even invited to sit with the wives at the next home game. Tarin really seemed to like Brandi Bodnar and Rachel Fehr.

When everyone left, Tarin and I just sat on the couch. I had my arms around her and she dozed with her head on my shoulder. I finally helped her to bed with me around midnight. I was a shame to wake her, because she looked so beautiful in her sleep, not to mention that she really needed some sleep.
................................................................................

When I came back from practice, Tarin was right where I left her, asleep in my bed. She had only been working on Saturdays and Sundays. These last months had been crazy, but it helped me realize some things. The first thing was that your entire life can change in the blink of an eye. Second, my life changed for the better. Finally, I loved Tarin and wanted her to be mine forever. I wanted to marry her, and I already bought a ring.