An Unexpected Twist

Month 8 (Mathieu)

Month 8
Mathieu

I left Tarin asleep on the couch when I left for practice today. Her mother was staying with us to watch her, and Amy was coming over soon to stay with them just in case. Tarin had read that most twins are born prematurely so we needed to be on our toes this month.

It was April and the regular season was coming to an end. We had already clinched our spot in this years playoffs, which started tomorrow night! I pulled into my usual spot at Kettler and went in to suit up for practice. I talked to John like I did every other day and when we got on the ice did our usual drills like we did every other day.

I was skating to the back of the line after my turn in the drill, when I saw a commotion by the entrance to the viewing stands. Someone was running in with a huge sign and people were all clapping for her. She got to the glass and I realized that it was Amy. She put the sign against the glass so I could read it. It said "T @ hospital! Baby is coming! Congrats Daddy!!!"

I was so excited! John slapped me on the back and the whole team cheered. I looked over at Coach Oates. He gave me a nod, and I skated off the ice as quickly as I could. I took off all of my gear more quickly than I ever had before.

I met Amy right outside the building and followed her to the hospital. We ran straight in and got someone to tell us where Tarin was. We burst through the door and there she was standing with her mother next to her. I stood beside her and held her hand. From the look on her face, I could tell we were in for a long few hours of labor.