Killing Loneliness

Husband and Wife

Dita wasn’t a merciful woman, especially when it came to her husband, and when she had figured that Brian wasn’t in his study and neither in the garage, she had been rather ill-tempered. Their marriage had never been of the average kind, so they had both known, and Dita had settled with the fact that her husband didn’t share his bed with her, and she was also alright with him being away most of the time and even his senseless partying. It had been okay because she had, after all, loved him, but more like a friend than anything else. It had been entirely based upon the flood of money that surrounded Mr. Warner, a truth that had been well hid behind closed doors. That was until now.

“We have located your husband, Mrs. Warner,” Officer Scott confirmed to her through the phone, and even through her fury, Dita felt relieved to know that he was alright. “Thanks God,” she sighed and then felt anger boil up in her again. “And where is he at?” The Officer went silent for a few seconds, perhaps a little surprised at her sudden change in spirits. “Mr. Warner is currently staying at the Central City Hotel downtown,” Officer Scott said and seemed quite serious as he spoke. “But Mrs. Warner,” he said and paused for a second. “Your husband really isn’t trying to hide, he’s using his credit card and his car is even parked outside of the hotel, clearly this is something between the two of you, not the police.”

Dita cleared her throat. “I apologize,” she muttered and glared into the air, hating to apologize to anyone less worthy than she herself was. “I didn’t mean to interrupt the police in their duties; I was simply worried about my husband.” The police Officer stilled. “We are however happy to have located him for you, Mrs. Warner. I hope you and your husband will be okay soon.”

“Thank you, Officer. Goodbye,” Dita said and hung up on the phone, feeling rather embarrassed about the situation her husband had put her in. It wouldn’t be proper of her to simply walk down there and yell at him without knowing what for, and somehow she felt as if she should know what was going on in Brian’s head, but she had never been able to figure him out. Now she felt guilty about all she might have done to chase him away in such a manner, and what would happen next? She obviously needed to get to the hotel, but other than that she had no idea what to do.

“Perhaps…”