Solo Tu

chapter 10

So I fall a little more
And I let myself fall anyway~ Teddy Geiger


The whistle had blown. Spain had lost. Everybody that was a Spaniard was in shock. The team had been playing the entire game. Trying. Lorena didn’t know why everybody was shocked when Sergio Ramos had missed the penalty. Cheers had erupted from the Brazilians. Eloá was ecstatic as she jumped up in the air; proud of her team. Who wouldn’t be? Brazil had been playing exceedingly well. The box was quiet as they had seen Brazil score on their team three times. Three to zero ended up being the score. What an end to a tournament.
“Well. That was something.” David had said.
“Tell me about it.” Ema piped up.

Nobody was really talking, people were quiet. It was their mourning period. Spain was so close to getting all the titles. Lorena didn’t know what to think, she had never before cared about a sport, nor cared who had won or lost. She bit her lip as the wives and girlfriends looked sad towards each other. There was a girlfriend that Lorena hadn’t seen before. Ema didn’t even get a chance to introduce them because she had started talking to her right away, not even bothering to look at the game. Except when Fernando tried to get the ball.

That’s when it clicked.

That was Fernando’s girlfriend. That was Olalla. Lorena looked at the brunette and wondered how everything had gone wrong for the couple. Surely, they must act differently towards one another when they’re together. She looked so… bored. Lorena didn’t want to judge too quickly, not knowing what kind of person she was, she caught her smiling. Olalla had a pretty smile. Lorena had looked away for the remainder of the game trying to figure out what was failing in such a relationship. Surely they were perfect together.

The ceremony was taking forever to take place and Lorena saw that the Spanish National Team was sitting down on the grass, with Piqué missing. He had gotten a red card for tackling Neymar. They had shown Shakira on the big screen television with a very serious stare on her face. Disapointment perhaps. The boots were being passed out, Fred, Neymar and Fernando had received one. Lorena felt something bubble at the pit of her stomach; happiness. She was so happy for Fernando, that he had won the golden boot, she guessed for most goals throughout the tournament. That would be a boost for him.

Everything was happening in a blur that it seemed the next time she blinked, they were giving the second place medals. None of the Spanish players seemed sad, nor did they seem happy. Indifferent, she thought. She wanted to hug her cousin, he must be feeling terrible. If he had scored the goal they would at least be on the scoreboard. They were not expecting this, none of them were. The word around the stadium was that this was the dream final of many people. Lorena had a discussion of this with Eloá before the final. She had said that Spain lucked out in the World Cup because Brazil had been disqualified by the Netherlands, so Spain and Brazil never got to play each other—until now. You can’t call yourself the best until you play the best, Lorena thought. Although she had to support her National team no matter what. It’s just the way that it goes: you support your country to the death, even if you lose.

Finally, the award ceremony was over and it seemed like everybody wanted to get the hell out because they all scurried away without saying a word to each other.
“This is the awkward part..” Ema stated as she walked slower so she could talk with Eloá and Lorena.
“What is?” Lorena asked as Eloá had linked arms with her.
“Whenever the team loses, or anybody for that matter, they never want to talk you know?”
“Yeah, I guess. But I mean. You win some you lose some right?” Lorena smiled apprehensively.
“Don’t tell that to the Spaniards right after they lose. They play like each game is their last.” Ema said.
“So what happens now?” Lorena asked as they made their way out.
“Well, if we would have won, we would have been able to go out to the field and celebrated, but. I think they want to stay low. I think we might go to dinner with the team since the tournament is over. We might be able to do that. How about I let you know?” Ema said smiling.
“That sounds great. I’m famished. So, so hungry, you have no idea.” Lorena laughed.
“I should be able to let you know in an hour or so, let the team get back to their hotel rooms and stuff.” Her friend replied.
“Sounds good,” Lorena said as she kissed her on each cheek.
“Eloá a pleasure to meet you!” Ema said as she also kissed her on the cheek.
“Likewise. Good luck with everything.”
“Que Dios te bendiga niña linda. (God bless you pretty girl.)”
“Obrigado.” Eloá replied.

They parted ways as Lorena and Eloá started heading back to the hotel. Lorena didn’t know what was going to happen next, did the team leave right after the game? Was she heading home soon? Who knew? She was new to the whole following football players around so she didn’t know how these things worked. Were the next few hours, the last few hours with Eloá? She was so happy and Brazil was going to be in a big party tonight. Latin America was always big on parties and nothing ever stopped them for having the best time of their lives—especially when they won things like trophies.
“I’m so glad I met you,” Eloá said as her Brazilian accent was heard in every word.
“Me too. I don’t think I could have done all of that by myself.” Lorena said as she waved a hand behind her.
“You would have done just fine.”
“Don’t be so sure amiga.” Lorena smile.
“So what happens now?” Eloá asked.
They were almost to the hotel and she didn’t want to see her friend go. Not now, if she had to go to dinner she probably wouldn’t be able to handle being by herself. Talk about being self-conscious, but how could you not be with the Wags of La roja?
“I have no idea. I think we’re probably going to be leaving soon.” Lorena said.
“So does that mean that we are done? Done with vacation?” Eloá said as they walked through the double doors to the hotel.

The Spanish team was probably giving interviews and taking pictures. Lorena noticed that whenever Fernando had received the boot, he was indifferent too. Maybe he was tired, or maybe he was disappointed in himself. She could never tell what the footballer was thinking, not that she should, but she wanted to see that irresistible smile that she had seen those days ago: Where he was smiling because he wanted to, because he felt happy.
“Hmm. I think so. I mean. You should probably go party right? You have a reason to celebrate. Besides, I don’t think you’d want to go to dinner with a bunch of angry or disappointment Spaniards.” Lorena noted as they went to the elevator.
“So true, well. I guess I can just pack my stuff and then head out?” The Brazilian asked.
“No!” Lorena said like a child.
She didn’t want her to leave. What would happen? The Spaniard couldn’t believe that she had gotten attached to this wonderful woman. Here she was asking her not to leave.
“I kind of have to now.. Alvar is picking me up. I’m kind of disappointment we didn’t get to race each other, but hey. There’s always next time. Maybe I’ll come visit you in Spain yeah?”
“Really?” Lorena said as she linked arms with the girl.
Eloá nodded.
“That would be awesome.” Lorena said as she linked arms with her friend.
“I’ve always dreamed of going to Europe.”
“Hmm. It’s not that great. Well. The architecture rocks, but we’re falling apart. The economy is terrible.” Lorena explained as she put the key in so they could go inside and pack.
“Well. The economy sucks here too. I think it sucks everywhere. This world. The world is in debt.” Eloá laughed.
“So true. Well, you are welcome at my place anytime you want. You have my number… well. There are those apps that are free and we can send messages through there. Something. We’ll figure it out.” Lorena encouraged as she got her bag and began packing.
“Hmm. I didn’t even pack that much.” Eloá said as she went to grab her ps3 and her speakers along with all her toiletries.
“Says you,” Lorena mused as she neatly folded her clothes and put them all in the bag. It seemed that everything had fit easily and without a problem.

Her phone was buzzing; Sergio was going to pay for the international bill.
“¿Hola?” She asked.
“Ema, si vamos a ir a comer. ¿Queres venir? (Ema, we are going to eat. Want to come?”
Lorena bit her lip, “who all is going?” She responded in English.
“Some girlfriends with their respective others… Iker will be there.” Ema piped.
“Do I really have to go?” Lorena questioned.
“It would mean a lot if you did… I mean. You’re pretty cool and it’d be a shame if you chickened out.”
“Fine., although I have nowhere to put my bag, since I’m guessing we’re leaving tonight for Spain yeah?”
“Yes. I think the flight that we leave on is earlier though which is nice. You can just take your bag with you. “ Ema replied.
“D-oh. Soy una bobita. No mas tengo una. Claro que la puedo llevar. (D-oh. I’m a dummy. I only have one. Of course I can take it with me.)”
“See you in twenty? We can go pick you.”
“We?” Lorena said nervously.
“Olalla is joining us along with Krista. Iker, Juan, Fernando and Sergio are meeting us there.” Ema explained.
“Interesante. (Interesting.)” Lorena replied, she didn’t know what else to say.
“We’ll be there in twenty minutes.” Ema said and then hung up.

“They’ll be here in twenty minutes.. Olalla and Krista are going.” Lorena said as she put her phone in her bag.
“She looked so mad during the entire match.”
“Who?”
“Olalla. I mean, she probably wasn’t, but she has the stare of someone who’s really angry. All the time.”
“Maybe she’s just serious, you know, I have that too. I’m kind of glad that the paparazzi doesn’t know who I am or else people would be bitching all the time that I’m too serious and don’t smile.” Lorena giggled.
“Yes, I did notice that, but you are not as bad as her.” Eloá stated.
“Shall we head down?”
The Brazilian nodded as they grabbed their bag and left the hotel room. They had to check out since they wouldn’t be staying until the next day. It was something that was standing procedure and they didn’t want to get in debt with the hotel.
“I can’t believe it’s already over.” Eloá commented as they were in the elevator.
“Don’t tournaments usually last this long? I mean, look at the Olympics. That’s two and a half weeks of a bunch sports thrown in together.”
“True. It was a good tournament. Especially for Brazil since they are a young squad and they seemed to be getting the feel of each other.” The Brazilian responded.
“Yeah. It was a good tournament.” Lorena said.
Everything seemed to be happening in a blur. Time was speeding up, or maybe she was thinking so much about everything that had happened that she didn’t notice when they gave their hotel room keys back, or when they hugged each other goodbye.
“So. I guess I’ll see you later? Sooner though yeah?” Eloá asked.
“Oh definitely. I’ll show you how we race in Madrid. I’ll let you drive this time though,” Lorena winked.
“That sounds really fun… well amiga. I have to go. Alvar is here, but promise to stay in touch! I don’t think I’ve met someone like you before.” Eloá said.
“Likewise.” Lorena said as she enveloped her new friend in a hug.
Eloá left and now Lorena was sitting in the lobby waiting for Ema to pick her up. She hoped that

Olalla wasn’t in the car with them; the girlfriend of her new friend Fernando seemed very intimidating. She was afraid that she would say something that wasn’t right and she would get angry with her. Maybe she was jumping to conclusions… she should really stop assuming things that are probably false.

When did Lorena become self-conscious? When she remembered that this wasn’t her world and her every move was being scrutinized by the people that she socialized with. The Spaniard missed her co-workers back at the mechanic shop. They didn’t judge her. They respected her for who she was and what she did. She couldn’t wait to go back and be working at the shop. Lorena missed her work; she missed not being able to think about other things because she was so focused on what she was doing. She fiddled with her hair as she heard her phone buzz again.
“Estamos aqui. (We’re here.)” Ema said.
“Listo. (All right.)” Lorena said as she hung up.

She got up from the seat and made her way out of the hotel. She softly smiled as she remembered what had happened throughout the three weeks that she had been here. Some would say not a lot, others would say a lot. She was thinking quite a bit has happened, made a few friends, got to spend time with her beautiful ocean. It didn’t matter which ocean it was, as long as it was an ocean. The beach was just wonderful in so many different ways. It helped her relax and be soothed; it helped her clear her thoughts. Lorena couldn’t think why she was in Madrid. Oh yeah. Because of her cousin, he meant a lot to her and she was willing to not be near the beach to be near him, even if it did mean that they didn’t see each other much.
“Hola,” Lorena said as she climbed in the car.
It was just Krista and Ema. Lorena let out a sigh of relief, as she tried to understand why some woman that she had not met was making her feel this way. It was strange.
“Hola guapa. (Hello lovely.)” Krista said as she smiled towards her.
“Hola, we don’t have a lot of time to go each since Del Bosque wants the team to head back as soon as possible. After all, vacation awaits them.” Ema said as the driver was going to the restaurant that they would be dining at.
“How long of a vacation do they get?” Lorena asked.
“Usually a month, but seeing as they had to play this tournament I reckon… two to three weeks before the pre-season begins.”
“You know so much.” Lorena said smiling.
“Well, I am married to a futbolista.” Ema replied.
“Ah, yes. I forget. Tengo mucha hambre. (I’m so hungry.)” Lorena said as she rubbed her stomach.
“Si. We all are.” Krista piped in.

The girls began discussing what their favorite Spanish dishes were as they waited to get to the restaurant. Lorena was definitely a seafood person and loved anything with seafood in it. Paella was particularly one that had shrimp, calamari and oysters among many things. Her stomach growled as she continued to talk to the two ladies that she seemed to be getting fond of. Krista wasn’t a drama queen… or so Lorena thought. She seemed fine; she was speaking normally and wasn’t recounting something that had happened with her and Juan.
“So, do you have a boyfriend Lorena?” Krista asked in English.
They got out of the car seeing as they had arrived at their destination, bags in tow.
“Claro que no. (Of course not.)” Lorena said.
“Oh.. ¿por qué? (Why?)” Krista asked as they went inside the restaurant.
“Buena pregunta. No lo sé, no tengo tiempo. (Good question. I don’t know, I don’t have time.)” Lorena shrugged as they went up to the host.
“Table for 8 please.” Ema said in perfect English. She didn’t even have an accent.
“It will be a fifteen minute wait.” The hostess said.
“That’s fine. Thank you.” Ema said.
“How is it that your English is so perfect?” Lorena asked in English with an accent.
“I was born in the United States. Although my parents are Argentinian. So, I pretty much grew up learning both languages.”
“Wow. That’s so neat.” Lorena responded.
“Olalla is here.” Krista said with a small smile.

Great.

“Hola Ola,” Ema said.
“Hola, ¿cómo vas? (How are you going?)” Olalla responded giving a smile.
“Bien. Esta pateando mucho, pero bien. (Good. He’s kicking a lot, but good.)” Ema responded.
Then Lorena felt her stare, “¿quien eres? (Who are you?)” She asked.
“Lorena, soy la prima de Sergio. (Lorena, I’m Sergio’s cousin.)” Lorena said extending her hand out.
“Oh, encantanda. Sergio habla mucho de ti. (Oh, please to meet you. Sergio talks a lot about you.)” Olalla said as she gave Lorena a small smile.
“El necesita parar de hacer eso. (He needs to stop doing that.)” Lorena laughed.
“Te quiere mucho. (He loves you a lot.)” Olalla noted.
“Ola, ¿cómo estas querida? (Ola, how are you my dear?)” Krista asked as she gave her a hug.
Olalla and Krista began to talk amongst themselves, Lorena wasn’t paying attention because Ema had started talking to her, “she’s nice when she wants to be. Other times she’s very quiet.” Ema told her.
“She seems extremely nice. She’s very pretty.” Lorena said.
“She is very pretty yes,” Ema said, “but then again, who isn’t pretty on the outside?”
“… do you honestly want me to answer that for you?”
“What I meant to say is that people may fool you. Yes, Olalla is very pretty, but if you get on her bad side things don’t always go as nice. Olalla is a complicated person.” Ema responded as they sat while they waited.

Lorena looked over to Olalla and Krista, they were smiling and chatting.
“She doesn’t look so complicated to me.” Lorena said yet somehow she still felt uneasy.
“You just met her. Everybody is uncomplicated when you first meet someone, but then when you spend more and more time with them if that, you start to see who they really are.”
“You and Fernando are like fortune cookies I swear.” Lorena laughed.
Ema scoffed, “you are friends with Fernando yes?”
“Well.. I think so. I mean. Him and Sergio are pretty much attached to the hip.” Lorena said.
“Sernando is talked a lot among the girlfriends. They have a wonderful friendship. Even though they play for different clubs, it’s like when they get together to defend their mother land they talk as if nothing has happened. It’s great.”
“Hmm,” Lorena mused and couldn’t help but smile.

Just as Ema was about to say something, the hostess came up to them and told them that their table was ready.
“And you’re sure this is okay? Do the players usually have dinner with their wives and girlfriends after a big match like that?” Lorena asked Ema.
“Well, no but Del Bosque was being nice. We usually have to wait until we get home. So, take advantage.” Ema winked.
“Advantage?”
“Of spending time with Sergio.” Ema said.
“Of course. Always.” Lorena smiled.
“What are you two talking about over there?” Krista said as all four of them made their way to the table.
“Taking advantage.” Ema said smiling.
“Definitely.” Krista nodded as she winked.
“I’ll never understand how you two understand each other,” Olalla said.
“That’s okay, a lot of people don’t. Don’t hurt yourself over it.” Ema said.
“So Lorena, how did you become to get here?” Olalla asked.
“Sergio invited me. He pretty much dragged me here.” Lorena said laughing.
“He tends to do that, but I mean. How come we have never seen you before?” Olalla inquired.
“I have been busy with work and never really paid attention to football before..” Lorena replied shrugging her shoulders.

A waiter came by, “o que as senhoras gostam de beber? (what would you ladies like to drink?)”
All of them looked at the waiter, “habla español? (do you speak Spanish?)” Lorena asked.
“Un poquito. ( A little bit.)” The waiter replied smiling.
“Agua por favor. (Water please.)” Lorena said.
Ema, Krista and Olalla said the same. The waiter smiled as he strolled away.
“He likes you,” Ema said.
“What are you talking about?” Lorena said laughing.
“He was giving you the eyes cariño. (dear)”
“Please.” Lorena said rolling her eyes.

She noticed that someone was coming their way, or rather some people. Realization came upon her as it was the people that they were waiting for. Sergio Ramos, Juan Mata, Iker Casillas and Fernando Torres walked towards the table that the girls were currently sitting at, freshly showered and in their sweats. Lorena was envious that they got to wear super comfortable clothing, while she was stuck wearing a pair of jean shorts and a white t-shirt. It wasn’t that bad, but the material of jean was so rough. Each player made their way to their respective other and she felt lonely. Then Sergio sat next to her, gave her a kiss on the cheek and smiled.
“¿Estas bien? (Are you okay?)” Lorena asked quietly towards her cousin.
She knew how much that penalty would have meant to him, and people might have been talking about it afterwards, but she was there for her cousin. Lorena needed to be there for him, just like he had been there for her.
“Hmm. No teníamos chance. Jugaron muy diferente de lo que pensabamos. (We didn’t have a chance. They played differently than what we thought.)” Sergio said nodded.
Lorena kissed his cheek, “los sorprendieron, pero está bien, no mas es un juego…(they caught you off guard, but it’s okay, it’s only a game…)” Lorena said as she hugged him.
“Si, lo es. No más tenemos que hacerlo mejor la próxima vez. (Yes, I know. We just have to play better next time.)” Sergio smiled.
“That’s my Sergio.” Lorena said as she turned to look at her menu.

It was almost nine at night and she couldn’t believe that they were here sitting about have dinner. Her eyes didn’t dare look at Fernando and Olalla’s direction seeing as every couple were having intimate moments to themselves: Moments that they could cherish. Seeing as Olalla was in a good mood, Lorena didn’t want to intervene in whatever she was doing with Fernando even if it was just them being friends.
“What are you getting Sergio?” Lorena asked her cousin as he seemed to be going over the menu himself.
“I want a big fat juicy burger. Let me see… hambúrguer, would perhaps be the Portuguese version of that? I think so.”
“I’m getting that too then. I don’t really particularly feel like trying to decide what to eat. I’m starving. That game seemed forever.”
“Ah, por la ceremonia. (because of the ceremony.)”
“Yeah. That.” Lorena said.

Then out of the corner of her eye she saw Olalla stand up out of her chair and walk away. The waiter had come back. He had stopped right next to Lorena and asked her if she was ready to order. Feeling a hint of red tint creep into her cheeks, she picked up the menu and pointed at the word hamburger. The waiter nodded and went on to Sergio, going around to everybody.
“So you are the famous Lorena no?” She heard a voice next to her.

The table was round, so she was able to face everybody, it was Iker that had spoken to her, he was sitting next to her. “Si. That’s me.” She said extending her hand out.
“Oh come on. Any family of Sergio is family of mine.” He said and he hugged her.
“Gracias,” Lorena responded.
“I’ve heard a lot about you,” Iker said, “from Sergio, but now from Ema.”
“I’ve heard that a lot…” Lorena said giving Sergio a look, “he really needs to stop talking about me. I’m really not that interesting.”
“Of course you are. Muy bonita no? (Very pretty no?)” Iker said smiling.
“Thanks...sorry about the game.” She stated.
“Ah, it’s okay. Brazil played better.” He said calmly.
“I bet you are excited to go back and take a break huh?” Lorena said finally looking around the table.
Fernando was talking to Sergio.

So around the table it was, Lorena with Sergio to her right, then Fernando, then Olalla, then Juan, then Krista, then Ema and finally Iker. Interesting arrangement Lorena thought, “oh yes. I am in need of a break. We went out to the beach a couple of times here, but it wasn’t enough.”
“Ah, si. The beach. So wonderful.” Lorena smiled that smile that she had for joy.
Ema tapped Iker on the shoulder making him turn his head and talk to his wife. Lorena looked at Fernando again and noticed that he was looking at her as well. He seemed tired she thought. Probably exhausted from what he had just played and everything that had just happened. His eyes locked on hers as he nodded towards her. She had a feeling at the pit of her stomach again: The very same one that she felt whenever he had been telling her all about the football leagues and different clubs. Her teeth bit down on her lower lip as she looked at her glass of water that had appeared there out of thin air.

Olalla came back. She looked over at Fernando and started talking to him. Lorena didn’t want to hear, the feeling in her stomach growing as she saw the pair exchange their words. She kissed his cheek as he softly smiled.
How did that look like they weren’t in love?
Lorena looked away not wanting to see anymore. She saw Krista and Juan talking to each other in hushed voices. Their expressions were not happy. Krista seemed to be saying something that was making Juan stop and think what he was going to say. Then he saw Lorena look at him and smile. What the heck? Oy. She felt so out of place, “prima. (Cousin.)” Sergio chuckled.
“Hmm?” Lorena said dumbfounded as she looked over at him.
“They do that all the time. They’re always fighting and things. It’s just how they communicate with each other,” her cousin explained.
“Odd.”
“What would you know? You’ve never been in a relationship,” Sergio lightly pushed her jokingly.
“While that may be true, I wouldn’t want to fight with my boyfriend all of the time.” Lorena said laughing.
“While what’s true?” Fernando piped in.
“Uh. We’re just talking about relationships,” Sergio chuckled.
It seemed to have gotten Olalla’s attention, “what about them?” She said.
Sergio looked at Lorena for her to give an answer, “um. That I wouldn’t be wanting to fight with my counterpart all the time is all.” She stated.
“Fighting is fun though.” Olalla said.
“Is it?” Fernando encountered.
“Si. It is. Every once in a while at least. You should know that…” Olalla said looking at her boyfriend.
Lorena looked at Sergio and wanted to whisper something to him that was not so nice. Why did some couples look like they were siblings?
“I don’t think anybody likes to fight,” Lorena stated as she looked at Krista and Juan, who all of the sudden were kissing each other’s cheek.
“Some people do. It keeps the spark alive.” Olalla retorted.
Lorena was trying to pinpoint what her tone was being, “but doesn’t it come to desperation if you’re fighting? You’ve already tried everything to keep the feelings alive, but fighting? Nobody likes to be yelled at.”
Olalla could only look at her. It seemed that she had no words to say.

Thankfully the waiter came by with the drinks for the futbolistas and another person trailed behind him with their food. Lorena’s stomach growled once again, she rubbed it, “it’s okay. Food’s here.” She said.
“Did you just rub your stomach?” Sergio asked her.
“Duh,” she said laughing.
“Ah. This is my Lolita.” Sergio smiled.
The waiter was now next to Lorena as he put her food down in front of her, “obrigado.” She said.
He smiled at her and nodded, “someone has the hots for you.” Sergio stated.
“That’s what Ema said.” Lorena replied looking at Ema who was pretending to pay attention to her food.
“What’s not to like though. You are my cousin; of course we share a resemblance somehow.” Sergio said as he took a bite from his hamburger.
“You’re hopeless primo. Simply hopeless.” Lorena said as she dug into her own food, taking smaller bites than her cousin.

Everybody ate in silence as they digested the delicious food that was put in front of them. Her taste buds were pretty much happy at the moment and the blue eyed woman didn’t dare look in Fernando’s direction, she hoped that she didn’t cause any turmoil. When someone asked Lorena a question, she wasn’t afraid to say what she thought about the subject. Just because she hasn’t been in a relationship it doesn’t mean that she didn’t know about them. There are these things called chick flicks that actually had valuable reasons and morals for relationships.
“Is the food so good that everybody is so quiet?” Juan asked while taking a sip of his water.
“I think so,” Ema said.
“Indeed.” Iker’s answer.
“I could eat here forever,” Krista said as she put another mouthful in.
“Iker are you ready for the pre-season? USA tour should be interesting no?” Sergio asked.
“I always get excited to go to the United States. Fernando, isn’t Chelsea also in the Guinness International Championship?”
“Yes. Hopefully we will see each other at the final.” He mused smiling.
“I don’t know how you guys do so much traveling. Don’t you get tired of being in planes?” Lorena asked.
“It’s part of the job, but sometimes it’s nice. The planes that we fly on are really luxurious so they are really nice. Helps us keep our rest when we need it right before a big match.” Iker explained.
“Ah, que interesante. (how interesting.)” Lorena said while eating a fry.
“I envy you.” Krista said.
“For what?” Lorena asked surprised.
“The fact that you can eat that burger and those fries and not care.” Krista replied.
“Oh. Sundays are my cheat days and no way! I work out like a banana. After the next two weeks I have to get back to training.” Lorena said.
“Oh? Training for what?” Krista asked again as she took a bite of her food while everybody paid attention.
“There’s a marathon in November that I want to do.” Lorena explained.
“That is so neat,” Krista nodded, “much of luck to you. Maybe if I’m down in Spain I can come and watch?”
“That would be lovely.” Lorena said.
“If she gets to go, I want to go.” Ema said.
“Anybody can come.” Lorena laughed, “you can even make me a poster.”
“Ooo,” Krista and Ema said, “with glitter!” Krista laughed.
“Whatever you want,” Lorena softly smiled.
“This is going to be so great!” Ema said clapping, “oh. The baby just kicked here.” She said grabbing Iker’s hand and putting it on her belly.
Lorena saw the couple as Iker’s face lit up, the corner of his lips turning into a smile.
“Do you have a name for him yet?” Lorena asked as she finished her burger.
“We are thinking Mateo.” Ema said as Iker rubbed his wife’s stomach.
“I love that name,” Lorena nodded.
“Si. Us too.” Ema giggled as she took another bite of her food.

It seemed like everybody had finished their food as the waiter came by with separate checks. Lorena smiled at him as he handed her the check for her dinner. She didn’t know how many euros, Brazilian money was, nor did she honestly care.
“Give me that,” Sergio said sternly.
“Sergio… I can pay for dinner. It was my treat.” Lola replied as she snagged his check.
“He left his number on the receipt..” Sergio said chuckling.
“Oh my gosh.” Lorena laughed as she looked down at the series of numbers.
“Are you going to call him?” He chuckled as she felt someone’s eyes on her.
“Should I?” Lorena asked as she locked eyes with Fernando again. He didn’t seem to be paying attention as Olalla was blabbering away in his ear.
“That’s up to you prima.” Sergio said, “I’m so proud of you. Picking up guys without even doing anything. You really are related to me.” He laughed.
“Yeah ,yeah don’t flatter yourself so much Ramos.” Lorena lightly pushed him.
Everybody got up and made their way out to the cashier. Lorena guessed that you paid on your way out.
“Lorena?” She turned to see who was talking to her, the group ahead of them.
Juan Mata, “er. Juan?” She asked.
“Yes. Juan. How nice to finally meet you.” He said as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders.
“Nice to meet you too.” Lorena said blushing.
“So listen, don’t say anything, but. Fernando, you know him?” He asked chuckling.
“Somewhat.” Lorena said.
“Don’t tell anybody but he’s played better because you’ve been great support.” Juan said whispering in her ear while looking at Fernando who was talking to Sergio.
“Me? What did I ever do?” Lorena asked laughing, “that’s all him.”
“You believe in him. With believe comes hope. With hope comes faith. With faith, you can do anything.” Juan responded.
“You’re kidding me right? You , Fernando and Ema are like fortune cookies mixed with Yoda. I can’t take it. Stop being so wise.”
“We speak truth.” Juan chuckled.
“Whatever Juan, all I’m doing is being a friend. That’s what people need these days. This world is falling apart because people don’t trust each other.” Lorena complied.
“Hey! Lola! We have to go.” Sergio said, making Juan and Lorena break away from each other, “what are you doing to my cousin Mata?” Sergio asked.
“We were just chatting a bit. No te enojes. (Don’t get angry.)” Juan said as he lightly tapped Sergio’s cheek.
“I’m not. Come along prima. Del Bosque wants us at the airport… but seeing as we’re all scattered out, we are just going to meet there.” Sergio said as he grabbed her cousin’s wrist.
“Bye Juan. I hope to see you again sometime.” Lorena said as she was being whisked away.
“Adios Lola.” Juan winked.

Her expression was curious, how did he know to call her that? Never mind that, they were all outside now and Ema had the same car that had taken them to the restaurant. She was hugging Iker while kissing him. Krista and Juan were smiling at each other, but then Krista lightly slapped his boyfriend on the cheek. Juan had only smiled cheekily as he stole a kiss from her then went over to Iker who was standing around waiting for all the footballers. Sergio gave Lorena a bone crushing hug as he whispered to his cousin, “I’ll see you soon prima. Thanks for coming, it meant so much to me, you have no idea.”
“Of course…” Lorena said as she laid her chin on his shoulder. Then her eyes saw something that she wished she had never seen.
Fernando and Olalla were hugging, but then she pecked him on the lips as she smiled. He smiled back and kissed her on the cheek.

Lorena’s body turned cold; there was a feeling that was unpleasant at the pit of her stomach. Her mind flashed the last events that she had shared with Fernando and Fernando alone. His hand on her stomach rubbing lazy circles to make the pain go away. The way his head leaned in to her touch as she touched his short brown hair. Lola blinked as she tried to suppress the images playing in her head. Her lips brushed against his cousin’s cheek, “see you next week. Maybe in three days yeah?” She playfully nudged him.
“Something like that.” Sergio chuckled as he kissed her cheek back.
Lorena went over to Iker, “bye Iker… sorry we didn’t get to talk as much. Maybe next time we meet we can talk more?”
“Claro que si bonita. (Of course pretty.)” He said as he hugged her.
She laughed as she saw that Olalla had gotten inside the car as well as the other girls. Iker had flagged down a cab as most of the players got in, leaving her and Fernando alone. Lorena didn’t know what to say. The feeling hadn’t left her body and she wasn’t sure what it was. She didn’t like it, like a sadness had washed over her and she couldn’t do anything about it.
“So…” Lorena said as she glanced at the car behind Fernando.
“Sorry about Olalla.” He stated as he stepped closer to Lorena.
“That’s fine. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions.” Lorena shrugged as she looked at his face. Again with the freckles, he looked like a kid in a man’s body.
“Si, but she just butted in,” Fernando said.
“Like you?” Lorena shot him a smile.
His cheeks turned pink: How adorable. She mentally slapped herself.
“Si. But I wasn’t rude…” Fernando concluded as he smiled back at her.
“Verdad. Que tengas buen viaje.” Lorena said as she began to walk away.
“Espera..(wait)” Fernando said as he too started walking to the taxi.
“Hmm?” She turned her face, they were next to each other but facing the opposite direction.
“Gracias por todo. (Thanks for everything.)” He said.
“No Fernando, thank you.” Lorena nudged him playfully as she walked away.

“Finally. Aeroporto.” Ema said as soon as Lorena got in the car. The uneasy feeling still bubbled inside her. She couldn’t pinpoint what it was, but she didn’t like it. Everything else seemed to be happening in a blur. Before she knew it she was at the airport, passed security, and in the plane. The girlfriends were in the same airplane, but they were all scattered about. Ema was two rows in front of her, Krista three rows back and Olalla was way up in the front of first class. It wasn’t until she saw out the window into the dark sky that she felt it.

A single tear rolled down her lonely rosy cheek, as she remembered when Fernando had kissed her there and how hot his lips felt even though it was only a second. Lorena wiped it away as soon as it rolled, she couldn’t be. There was no way. It couldn’t happen. Lorena Ramos could definitely not like Fernando Torres. It was impossible. He had his teenage love. That was all he needed. They have been together for a long time that much she knew. Surely that had to mean something. She couldn't be feeling anything for this man that he had just met. Her lips let out a long sigh as she turned the light off.

He needs Olalla. He can’t live without her. She lied to herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it took long to update.. it's just that i always have trouble beginning a chapter. x) but there you go. hope you liked it.