Solo Tu

chapter 3

Hay corazones que van despacio
locos y ciegos buscando su espacio
hay corazones y corazones
y cada cual latirá sus pasiones~
Ana Torroja y Miguel Bose


There was something about the air in the morning. It was clearer, easier to breathe, cold, musky. Lorena had woken up around five in the morning with the jet lag, and couldn't even go back to bed that Monday morning, so she decided to do her daily run along the beach. It felt serene and calm. On that Saturday afternoon when all four boys and Lorena had gone to the beach to just walk around and take in the view when they had achieved a decision only to have to come back early because Del Bosque had called each and every one of them telling them that they had to attend the Heat Vs. the Spurs game in Miami. Unfortunately, Lorena couldn't go, nor did she want to. All she wanted was to stay at the beach in Brazil with nobody around her. She was sad that Sergio had to leave, but she understood that the National image for the team was important, so, on that lazy Sunday morning, she said goodbye to her cousin.

What had she done while they were away? Gotten to know the streets of Rio and see where the cops where in every corner and get to know the city. If she was going to pull a race, she had to know where they were. That was when her friend Daniela had come in handy, she had given her a few contacts to call so she knew where to go. That Monday night, Lorena was in her hotel room, flipping channels when she decided that it was best to call the guy. Might as well do something worthwhile, especially that Sergio was off her back. Not that he knew what she did.

Her hands found her phone and she dialed the number that Daniela had given her, "Olá?" The other person said. Their voice was deep.
"Hello?" Lorena spoke in English, she figured that it was the international language... seeing as everybody seemed to know it.
"Yes?"
"This is Lorena Ramos, I'm sure Daniela has spoken to you about me being in Rio?" She said as she continued to flip the channels. There was nothing on, so she decided to move to the balcony to see the ocean and feel the breeze.
"Oh yes. I am Thiago. Would you like to come out tonight? See the cars, feel the races?" He asked.
"Of course. That would be great!" She said excitedly, going over to her suitcase and seeing what she could wear. The fashion of the underground street racers was something out of this world. These people were not intimidated and always let go. Especially in Rio. Finding a simple tank top that she would easily tie up to show her belly, and some simple capri pants with some flats, she decided to put her hair in a simple braid.
"Okay, I'll pick you up around... eleven or so." Thiago had said.
Lorena gave him her address to the hotel and they hung up the phone. She had a few hours to kill; what to do, what to do? Her eyes looked at the beach again and she had to go down there and take a walk. At least a mile. Lorena never had this in Madrid. Never. There was just something so different about a beach, than the stony streets or her beloved Spain. Never had she experienced going to the beaches on the islands in Spain either. The beach here was beautiful, so blue and clear, and the sand as white as snow. Lorena was in love and she never wanted to leave. Her nose smelled the salty air as the wind whipped at her face, making her braid go wild. Her eyelids closed over her eyes as she spread her arms out in pure glory. Once she opened them again she began walking down the beach with water clearing her feet of sand every few seconds.

As she walked down the beach, her thoughts drifted to the few people that she had so far met from the National team. Gerard was rather funny, along with that Cesc Fábregas. Fernando was quiet though, she noticed. He barely said anything, unless he was talking to Sergio. Lorena could tell that Sergio and Fernando were really close because of the way that they spoke to each other. Sergio spoke to Lorena the way that he spoke to Fernando. Fernando, with his deep brown eyes that were so... she couldn't even risk thinking anything about that. He was a taken man, she was not supposed to look at other boys who already had a girlfriend. Lorena just... she couldn't even do anything. Her mind didn't know what to think about him. She had barely spoken to him at all, but something... there was something about him. Lorena shook her head; there were more important things to be thinking about than footballers and how good they looked. She didn't dare look below his face though, she felt that that would be an invasion of privacy of some sort. It was supposed to be winter here in Brazil, but the temperatures proved differently--probably because Brazil was closer to the equator. Lorena continued to stroll down the beach when she felt her phone buzz. Taking it out with one hand while catching her braid in the other, she didn't recognize the number.
"Hello?"
"Lorena?" The other voice said.
"Yes?"
"It's Sergio. I left my phone in the hotel room and had to borrow Fernando's."
"Oh." Lorena responded as a wave washed over her feet.
"Why haven't you called me?" The footballer asked sternly.
"Been busy. Didn't know you were my babysitter." Lorena laughed.
"Ay. You know what I mean." Sergio said.
"Si. I lost track of time. Been watching the news; a lot of riots around here and whatnot. How's the game?"
"It is actually quite fun. The basketball players are really tall." Her cousin chuckled, "riots? They did say that Brazil was very dangerous right now, since you know, the government decided to spend millions and millions of dollars on the stadiums to get ready for the cup instead of using it for like healthcare and stuff. Not to worry though, when we get back you'll have a handful of bodyguard. Everybody is excited to meet you."
"Sergio... why do you even bother mentioning my name?" The Spaniard groaned.
"Everybody brags about their family Lola."
"Brag about tia or tio."
"What's the fun in that?"
"Blegh.." Lorena responded.
"Someone's calling me..." Sergio said.
"Sergio?" Lorena asked.
"Fernando." He said.
Well this should be awkward. Lorena stiffled a laugh, eventhough she didn't know what to do. His voice was like a deep grumble.
"Sorry about Sergio." She finally told him. The brunette woman started making her way back, she was surprised that nobody had tried to kidnap her or something.
"Happens all the time," he said gently.
"Hmm. ¿Cómo estas?" Lorena bit her lip.
"Exhausted. And we have two friendlies. One tomorrow morning, and one on Wednesday. Miami then New York "
"Better get some rest then.." She said.
"Lorena."
"Si?" she squeaked, somehow her voice had become a higher pitch. She wasn't expecting that. Her walking picked up pace as she saw her hotel in sight.
"I can hear the ocean. I'm jealous." He said.
"Don't be..you'll be here in no time. Buena suerte en tus juegos. (Good luck in your games.)"
"Gracias."
"Well, it was nice talking to you and all... but I have to go." Lorena said. Yes, it was awkward.
"Adios." Fernando said.
"And Fernando? Me llaman Lolita. (They call me Lolita.)" She said before she hung up. She didn't like it when he called her by her full name--it sounded like she was in trouble. When Sergio called her that, it usually meant that a speech was followed after that.

Could that have been anymore awkward--Lorena thought, and yes. It probably could have been more awkward, but she was glad that he had somewhat talked to her. It was better than him just looking at her and not even say anything. She had only gotten one word out of him when they met and didn't even bother to talk to him since he was occupied catching up with his teammates. Not that she minded. They all missed each other whenever they weren't together, and it was natural to want to be attached at the hip, especially for La roja. Lorena had reached the hotel and went up to her room. Had she really been gone that long at the beach? It was almost time for her to get picked up, so the brunette Spaniard quickly changed to the clothes that she had picked out and put on a cardigan. You never know when it would get cold and she sure knew that she didn't want some stranger's coat.

She re-braided her hair again and made her way down to the lobby so when Thiago would call, she would be already waiting. Easier for Thiago and her. Her eyes saw a chair, but just as she was about to go sit down on it, her phone buzzed again. It was Thiago. Immediately receiving the call, she told him she was walking out and when she walked out, her eyes looked at the car that he had picked her up in. It was a 2013 Aston Martin, top of the line, the fast kind. The sporty kind. She squealed as she let her hand run through the door handle, feeling the artwork and being envious.
"Nice car." She smiled.
"Oh, thanks. This is the car that you'll actually be using... Daniela told me you were one of the best in Spain."
"I've heard something or other...but are you sure? I don't know the streets that well.. I mean, I know them, but I don't know them... if that makes any sense." Lorena said as there were two nos tanks in between her and Thiago.
All Brazilians were extremely handsome-- Thiago had dark tan skin, with green eyes and a gorgeous smile. He had curly brown hair that was everywhere in curls. She liked it.
"I'm just kidding... we can't really race here in Rio. There are so many riots going on right now that it's making it difficult to drive around people. Besides, the police is everywhere and it would really defeat the purpose of doing this in the down low." He said his portuguese accent being thick.
"Ah. So then what are we doing?"
"We're going to go see where everybody is at, maybe you can drive this car around for a bit, see how you like it. I'll take you to the shop sometime this week so you can see how we do our work and everything."
"I work at a car shop in Madrid, if you need help let me know." Lorena said--she didn't know why she was offering her skills, but shrug her shoulders nonetheless. She loved cars.
"All right. Besides, the parties that always happen with so many cars, the best." Thiago said as he smiled at Lorena.
Her eyes looked at him and smiled as he was wearing a football jersey, representing his country. Thiago was wearing simple blue jeans and some sneakers, something that Lorena found extremely appealing.
"Can't wait." Lorena mumbled; she wasn't all that for parties, but this was vacation, so might as well yeah?

They had reached their destination as Lorena saw how easy Thiago wheezes in and our of the streets, the riots were kind of scaring her, not that she had seen any so far, Thiago told her that he was taking all the back roads to avoid anything, and that made her feel slightly better, but she wished that she hadn't gone out now. The woman bit her lip as Thiago parked the car. She needed to drive somewhere fast... it had been a while. A little too long, but nevertheless she got out of the car and followed the Brazilian since she didn't know what else to do. Everybody that was present was showing off their assets from their cars, some had sound systems in the trunks, others had high definition televisions, many had the nos tanks and a lot of people were rarely wearing anything. Lorena didn't feel self conscious, simply because these girls were probably girls that went everywhere if you know what I mean. Music was blasting through the speakers and the bass was insane, Lorena felt her ears drum. She silently laughed at her thoughts but was shaken from them when Thiago had introduced her to some of the people that he knew.
"Lorena, this is my friend Alvar, and this is my friend Eloá. They work for me in the shop and are also racers." He said as he translated to his friends in Portuguese.
Lorena smiled and shook their hands, " I'm Lorena, but people call me Lola. I also work at an automotive shop in Madrid and also race cars."
"Nice to meet you." Eloá said sweetly.
Apparently everybody knew English, "nice to meet you." Lorena replied. Alvar smiled at Lorena while he began to talk to Thiago about something to do with the gears in the oil leak.
"So, what brings you to Brazil?" Eloá asked.
"The confederations cup. My cousin is playing..." Lorena responded.
"Ah. I love football, of course I have to root for my home team, but Spain is very good no?" She asked.
"I guess... I don't really watch it. I was kind of forced to come here... If you want I can get tickets for the game..." Would Sergio really give her tickets? Probably.
"That would be great," The Brazilian beauty said. Eloá had light brown hair, with light brown eyes and light skin. Nevertheless she was really pretty.
Lorena was happy that she had made a friend so quickly, but of course kept her guard up seeing as she didn't know her that well. Most people became her 'best' friend once they knew who her cousin was and it drove her insane that people only liked to be with her for that reason. So like any other good person, she never mentioned Sergio, never mentioned other family members to see who were the real friends and who was not. Although, Eloá seemed like a good person and seemed like she would keep her cool.
"All right. Before I leave make sure to give me your number so I can call you so we can figure everything else out." Lorena smiled.
Might as well have someone to share the football games with, seeing as Lorena felt like an outsider when it came to the other player's famillies and whatnot.

That's how the rest of the night went, Lorena just talked to Eloá and saw how the procedure of the races where around in Brazil. They didn't do any racing, but she figured out that they liked to race around two in the morning, and each major city had their own set of races. Each group of people had their own sets of cars and they were all so eclectic. Skylines, Aston Martins, Lexus, Maseratis, you name it. She didn't understand how these people easily managed to get these cars, then someone slipped that most of these racers were sons and daughters of the wealthy. Oh. Well that made sense, although Eloá, Alvar and Thiago definitely weren't. They built their cars, and they started from the ground up which is something that Lorena really valued. She also valued the fact that they let her in the group with so much as a hello. She felt appreciated.
"I'm going to be here for the next two weeks and a half... as long as the tournament is going on and Spain doesn't lose. We'll see.. but whenever there is a race, or if there is anything going on, please let me know. I'd love to watch you guys race or something." Lorena said smiling.
The Brazilians nodded and gave her a hug. She looked at her phone: two thirty in the morning.
"Thiago, you want to take me back?" She said yawning.
This is what these type of people did, they hung out and showed off their cars with that kind of engines they had and what kind of cars they had with each other, usually bet money for the race, but then since they couldn't race, at least not right now with everything that was going on. She didn't mind the atmosphere since she was really there for the races. Lorena loved the speed, and sometimes she conviced her father to take her to one of the racetracks so she could go as fast as she wanted. The brunette had decided that when she went back to Madrid, that she would ask her father again to take her.

Thiago had nodded and as soon as he drover her back to the hotel, she decided to call Sergio, all of the sudden not feeling safe. Maybe she shouldn't have come at all, with everything that was going on in Brazil. The Spaniard was nervous, she was scared, she had never experienced something like this, especially in Spain. It was weird, she was alone for the first time in her life--really alone. She frowned at herself, as she changed into her pajamas while Sergio's line was ringing. It rung three times before going to voice mail. Lorena knew that he was probably asleep, like the good footballer that he is, but she needed to make sure that everything would be okay: that he would be here soon. All of the sudden, she didn't feel like going out for the next two days, she didn't feel like seeing people scramble around in the street while rioting. Her stomach gave a drop as she dialed again: afraid. Just before Lorena was about to hang up, the phone picked up.
"Sergio?" She asked her voice a pitch higher again.
"No... Fernando." It sounded like he hadn't been sleeping.
"Oh. Sorry." Lorena said biting her lip again.
"¿Qué paso? (What happened?)" Fernando asked.
What's happening with you? She wanted to ask her himself, he should be asleep. "I could ask you the same question.."
"Can't sleep. Thinking." Was all he said.
"Oh." She was really starting to get tongue tied when talking to this guy and she didn't understand why, "just let Sergio know I called him okay?" She asked.
"You're not gonna tell me what happened?"
"Nothing happened... I just... I." Lorena sighed. How could she tell him? Oh hey, I'm really scared of everything that's going on all of the sudden? She mentally slapped herself.
"Lola.."
"Tengo miedo. (I'm scared.)"
"Of what?" He asked.
"This place... hay muchos disturbios... (there are a lot of riots)" She said.
"Lo se. Don't worry. We'll be there soon."
"Two days is not soon enough," she whispered against the phone.
"Mira Lola, These two days are gonna go by real fast. You'll see." Fernando said.
"Gracias.." Lorena said as she got in bed and wrapped the covers around herself, "um. Thanks for talking to me..."
"De nada." Fernando responded.

That girlfriend of his is extremely lucky. Lorena thought, although as quickly as the thought came she dismissed it. "Nos vemos en dos dias entonces...(We'll see each other in two days then...)" Lorena said.
"Si. Que duermas bien. (I hope you sleep well.)"
"Lo mismo. Adios." Lorena said.

She fell asleep that night thinking about a particular set of brown eyes that were so deep, the worst thing is that she didn't want to forget them.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry the chapters are short... for story purposes i had to bump up the friendlies dates and all that stuff.. they'll get longer i assure you. :)