Solo Tu

chapter 5

Todo cambio Cuando te vi
De blanco y negro a color me converti~ Camila

Image


Rain was coming down as the halftime whistle blew with Spain up 2-0 against Uruguay. Lorena didn't know what the heck was going on, but she knew that they were winning. She only knew that when the person score the goal that they would get a point. It fascinated her how the players moved with each other to try and get the ball in the goal and from what it seemed, Spain was the favorite to win.
"Well I feel dumb." Lorena stated dumbly.
"¿Qué?" Someone next to her asked.

Lorena turned to see who was talking to her and it was a guy that looked younger than her, "hm. No entiendo el juego para nada. (I don't understand this game at all.)"
"Ah. Bueno, primero que todo me llamo David y esta es mi novia Diana. (First of all, my name is David and this is my girlfriend Diana.)"
"Ah. Lorena Ramos." The brunette extended her hand out.

Eloá said that she wasn't going to be able to make the game until after half time. Lorena had mailed the ticket as soon as Sergio had given it to her. She would give the rest to her in person. The brunette looked at the man and noticed that he was also wearing a Spain jersey.
"Spain fan?" Lorena asked as she smiled.
"Si claro. I was going to play for the national team, but unfortunately I didn't make the cut." David replied, "Pepe Reina invited me."
"Ah ya. I'm Sergio Ramos' cousin." Lorena said instantly.
"Oh! Mucho placer. Bueno pues, las reglas del juego...(What a pleasure. All right, the rules of the game...)" David said.

David then began to explain the rules of the game to Lorena hoping that she will at least grasp the basics. Lorena noticed that Diana was sitting looking amused at her boyfriend. Her eyes showed adoration for her boyfriend making the Spaniard smile. She enjoyed seeing people in love-- especially the old couples that took strolls down the street while holding hands. The thing was, love wasn't for her. The Spaniard brunette has never been in love, she hasn't had to deal with all the drama that comes with it and she wasn't about to start now. Besides, finding a guy would take her ages-- they usually showed up when nobody was looking anyway.
"Lorena?"
"Eloá! I'm so happy you could make it." She said to her friend who was wearing a Brazilian jersey proudly.
"Me too." Eloá said as she sat down next to her.
"This is David and Diana." Lorena gestured towards her two new friends.
"Nice to meet you."
"Same," David and Diana said.
"Are all three of you from Spain?"
They all nodded, "I hope you don't mind when Brazil beats Spain in the final."
"Have to wait and see don't we?" David asked her.

Eloá just smiled and began talking to Lorena about more important matters. Racing. Apparently there was going to be some racing on the 6th of June. Lorena felt a bit giddy since she hasn't raced in a bit, but it should definitely fun.
"It's a good thing their next game was back in Rio." Lorena told Eloá as the players walked back out on the field.
Fernando Torres was not playing and she wondered what he must be thinking right now, she just hoped that he wouldn't over think it. The whistle blew and second half began with Spain still in the lead.

***

It seemed as if the rain has stopped. "Viva España."" David said.
"Hmm." Eloá mused.

Both, Eloá and David had begun bickering over the game with Eloá rooting for Uruguay while Diana and Lorena began to talk about things. Mostly Spain and the architecture and how she was going to school to be a bilingual teacher of sorts. The final whistle blew as Spain gathered around and hugged each other while Lorena and Eloá stood up, "so will we see each other again?" Diana asked.
"If you're going to all the games then yeah." Lorena responded giving her a smile, "which reminds me. Here are all the tickets," she said while taking them out and giving them to Eloá. Eloá squealed to which then Lorena asked, " you don't care that it's not Brazil?"
"Nope! Do you know how much these tickets cost? Each? Plus I believe in the boys. We'll make it to the final." Eloá responded while puffing out her chest. Lorena laughed as she waved goobye to David and Diana.

Both of the girls made their way and of the stadium and tried to hail a cab.
"Well, I drove here, so I need to get going, would you like a ride?" Eloá offered.
"Duh. Let me see what kind of driving skills you got." Lorena replied coyly.

As both girls went to a parking garage a few blocks away, Eloá had gotten a call. The Brazilian picked up the phone and began talking in Portuguese. Lorena could only make out a few words as they reached her car. It was a 2013 infinity g35. Gosh, where did these people get these amazing cars?
"Nice car." Lorena complimented.
"Thanks, just redid the carburetor."
Lorena stepped inside and the seat instantly hugged her figure.
"You need to tell me where to go."
"We're staying at the Hilton hotel." Lorena said, "it's about twenty minutes away."
Eloá nodded and type something in the gps. They were off and Eloá could most definitely drive. The way that she wheezed in and out of the roads, especially since there was traffic right now. Lorena was impressed.
"Vroom, vroom. you can definitely drive." Lorena commented.
"Obrigado! We are here, I'll call you for more information about the upcoming race."
"Sounds grand. Can't wait." Lorena smiled as she stepped off the car.
"Drive back to Rio safely. See you soon!"

The Spaniard made her way back to her room and grunted. Is this what a footballer's life was? In and out of hotel rooms like a nomad? She didn't like that, but if it's what her cousin loved then who was she to stop him? Lorena walked into her room and flopped on the bed. Watching football had exhausted her. Her eyes closed for a second when her phone rang.
"Hola?"
"¡Mi vida!"
"Hey mom. Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?"
"Well, I'm just so excited that I couldn't wait!" Her mother exclaimed.
"...wait for what?"
"We are having a family reunion!"
"What?" Lorena's voice sounded like panic.
"Yes! Although, this time it's going to be in Galicia." Her mother responded.
"Mom, you know grandma is just going to ask why I'm not married yet and everybody's going to keep asking why I'm not married and even then, why I don't have a boyfriend." Lorena whined.
"Lola. Come on. You haven't seen them in years. The only person you see is Sergio. Marcela misses you and Daniela keeps asking for you. Two years is a long time for a five year old you know."
"I have no idea what you are talking about... I see them in all the important holidays."
"Lorena Mariela." Her mother told her.
Even though she was a thousand or more miles away from her mother, Lorena couldn't help but cringe when she used her full and second name. It was the worst--so grown up. So opposite of what Lorena was.
"But mamá-"
"No buts. You're coming. It's gonna be the second of week of July. Martha also invited the Torres'. Sergio's best friend from football..."
"I recently met him." Lorena exclaimed.
"So it's going to be one big reunion. Are you enjoying your time in Brazil?"
"You know it." Lorena chuckled.
"I'm glad mija. You needed the break. I can go to sleep now. Te quiero mucho."
"Me to mamá."

What the eff? Who would have thought that the parents would know one another. Then again, Fernando and Sergio did grow up together. Lorena's logic was that they just got to know each other throughout the years because of their sons, but if Lorena remembered correctly, her aunt Martha didn't really support Sergio's dream. Then again, Lorena couldn't say or think anything since she wasn't there when all of this took place. She opened the balcony walked out to sit on the chair and listen to the waves of the ocean. At least the reunion would be by the beach as well. Lorena never wanted to leave.

Sergio had made sure that she got back to the hotel room because he didn't want her to get attacked or kidnapped. He really was her big brother and he had mentioned that usually afterwards, they had to do press conferences so they would be held up for a bit. Right as she thought about that, her phone rang again.
"Hmm?" Lorena said.
"Hey! We are headed back to the hotel." Sergio's happy self told his cousin.
"Good, there's something I have to talk to you about."
"Uh-oh?"
"No. Just get here will you?"
"I'll go bother you when I get there."
Lorena hung up the phone while her stomach gave a growl. Since Sergio wasn't here this time, she grabbed her hotel key and made her way downstairs to get something to eat. The lobby had a deli and she was down for a sandwich. Once she got her sandwich and bottle of water, Lorena made her way back to the room. She really did love the ocean breeze, especially after the rain; it seemed to make it more wild.

She sat again on the chair and took one bite of her food. There was a bang on the door. Well that was fast. The blue-eyed beauty went to open the door to reveal a freshly showered Sergio Ramos.
"Nice free kick." Lorena said jokingly. He had missed it.
"What know what a free kick is?" Sergio asked as he came inside.
"I learned some football today... anyways." She rolled her eyes.

Lorena led him out to the balcony so she could finish her sandwich, "you know. The rain must have felt nice, since it's so freaking hot."
"Yeah, it was. I'm glad you're here."
"Me too. Mamá called."
"And?"
"We have a family reunion..."
"Oh, I know. I'm the one that help set it up."
"What the heck Sergio?! Did it just slip your mind to tell me?"
"Maybe? Everybody is pressuring us to do well... I have a lot on my mind."
"You are so lucky I'm not a violent person-oh! And how about the fact that Fernando's family is also going to be attending?"
"Ah yes. His family has a home down there too... so mom invited them. Olalla will most likely go."
"Does Fernando know?" Lorena asked as she took a bite.
"Yes. He doesn't talk about his family a lot though..."
Lorena didn't know what to think, "well this should be interesting. I've missed the reunions."
"Yeah, it's been a while. Daniela keeps asking where you are."
"I can't believe a five year old remembers me."
"You're an unforgettable person." Sergio stated.
"Aw shucks."
"Oh. So I had a question."
Lorena looked at him as she finished her sandwich implying him to go on.
"How come you never tell me about your friends? Introduced them to me?"

Lorena's mind went blank. Her friends... what friends? The only friend she technically had was Camila. They had met in university and continued their friendship.
"You know Camila." She stated.
"Yes, but don't you know anybody else?"
"Um... I like to keep my professional and personal life separate." Lorena repeated Sergio's words.
"Bullshit!"
"Do you know how hard it is to hide you from everyone I know?! THE GREAT SERGIO RAMOS IS MY COUSIN! Everybody wants something from me from you!" She ran her hand across her face.
"That shouldn't stop you from making friends!"
"What are you talking about?! I'm perfectly fine with two best friends!" She yelled at him.
"You're hiding something." Sergio finally said as he closed his mouth in a thin line.
"Huh?" Lorena played dumb.
"You heard me..."
"No Sergio, I'm not doing anything..." Lorena believed her own lie.
"Again. Bullshit." Him not yelling at her made her feel worse.
"Joder. (Fuck.)" Lorena said.
"Why are you being so... difficult?" Sergio asked.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing..."
"What the hell?! I'm your best friend!"
"I think you should leave..." She said as she blinked.
Without another word, Sergio got up and left. Sure, they had their bickerings before, but never like this. This was the first time in a really long time that Lorena had fought with Sergio. Her mind was clouded with what just happened. Which didn't even make any sense to her whatsoever. It was extremely random.

She let out a puff of air trying to think. What could she say to Sergio now? It's not her fault that he wanted to be famous. It's not her fault that he was good at what he did. Her mind was boggled. Lorena stood up from her seat and went into her room to get her exercising clothes out. She needed to go for a run. It would help clear her mind. Just as she took her shirt off there was a knock at the door. Surely it wasn't Sergio because when Sergio got mad-- he stayed mad for a couple of days.

Lorena made her way to the door while pulling her sports bra down and a shirt over it.
"Oh, hey." Lorena said as she stepped aside to let Fernando in.
"Sergio kicked me out. Something about cousins and best friends..."
"So your first instinct was to come here?" She questioned as she led him to the bedroom.
"Well everybody is passed out. It was so hot in that stadium and it is eleven you know." Fernando chuckled.
"¿Cansado? (Tired?)"
She grabbed her capris from the pile of clothes and went into the bathroom without closing the door so she could still hear him.
"Not really," he said.
"Well I'm going for a run..."
"I'll go with you." Fernando immediately said.
"Lucky you have your tennis shoes on." She stuck out her tongue at him as she fixed her ponytail.
Grabbing her hotel key and giving it to him, "I don't have pockets," she said while shrugging.
"Want to talk about it?" Fernando asked gently as he took the key.
"Ugh. I'm sure whatever Sergio the drama queen has told is true just magnified times ten."
"There are two sides to every story..." He said wisely.
Both of them were walking down the stairs, "maybe when I'm done. I can't think straight right now."
"Whatever you want." He said.
"So, I'm sorry you didn't get to play today." She quickly changed the subject.
"Oh, that's okay. I'm sure I'll play against Tahiti. Nigeria beat them 6-1."
"That's terrible." Lorena frowned.
"Such is life."
"Who are you? Yoda?"
"Nope. Just me." El niño smiled sheepishly.
"You don't have to jog with me... I don't run as fast as you." Lorena said while poking his arm. She felt the muscle all right.
"Jogging is fine."

Now they were outside and only had to cross the street again to reach the beach. The chilly air made her get goosebumps and noticed that Fernando didn't even flinch. He was wearing some shorts and an old Spain t-shirt that said campeones 2010. Lorena and Fernando walked in silence the rest of the way as she let the salty breeze fill her nostrils and ocean waves fill her ears. Her mouth turned upwards into a smile that was only saved for times when she truly felt joy.
"You should smile more often." The tall Spaniard blurted.
"Hmm." She mused as they reached the sand, the sky clear and the moonlight shinning down upon them.
Lorena began to do simple stretches as Fernando followed suit.
"So do you have a nickname besides el niño?" The woman asked as she held her calf.
"Nando. Nandito." He shrugged as he reached down to his toes.
"¿Qué tal pecoso? (What about freckles?)" Lorena pipped up.
"Lo que quieras. (Whatever you want.)" He laughed.
"Okay. Pecoso it is." Lorena said, "you ready?"
He nodded.

The pair began their jog as Lorena focused on her breathing, the Spaniard next to her did it with less difficulty. She groaned internally as they continued. Just a few more minutes and the endorphins would kick in to help her forget.

Olalla will most likely go.

What that his girlfriend? Pretty name. Must be a pretty woman. That should be interesting and awkward all at the same time. Maybe she should find a boy and bring him along to save her the awkwardness that she would surely have, but then if she brought a boy everybody would definitely jump to conclusions. There wasn't a need for that.

Beads of sweat started to form on her forehead as her feet hit the sand. She could feel it trickle down her face and drop on her neck. It hadn't even been five minutes, at least she thought. Who knows how long they're been running for? It wasn't helping her as she frowned again thinking of the worst.

You might be a distraction for Fernando.

The little voice said.

You couldn't think that he could be my distraction?

Another little voice replied.

What the hell do you need a distraction from?

The other voice retorted.

Life.

The other voice said.

Bullshit. Your life is perfectly fine. The voice retorted.

All of the sudden, Lorena took off in a sprint not wanting to think about anything, not wanting to think at all. She could feel Fernando close behind her-- futbolistas and their stupid stamina. She was frustrated. Frustrated with how one little thing could change everything. Frustrated that she let herself allow something so little change her perspective about everything. Stupid brown eyes surrounded by freckles.

Her legs gave out as she stumbled. Must have been all that tension. This wasn't what was supposed to happen. Lorena caught herself landing on her knees, "so much for runner's high." She mumbled.
Fernando caught up as he panted, looking at her in worry, "what was that?" Her asked in English.
She shrugged as she sat down and contemplated laying down on the cool sand. The temperature was nice.
"Oh no no. You have to stretch, here let me help you." Fernando said.
He grabbed her calf and brought it up, so she fell back on the sad as she closed her eyes. Fernando then proceeded to push as she pushed too. Lorena winced as she breathed in and out slowly to calm her beating heart. She wiped the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand.
"Just a few more seconds.." Fernando said gently.
He dropped her leg slowly and then grabbed the left one. Lorena had some trouble with her knee a long time ago. His hands on her calf made her skin sizzle. It also didn't help that his hands were already so warm. Feeling him push, she winced a little louder than usual scrunching up her face.
"Sorry..." He said. Lorena nodded.

The freckled Spaniard gently put her leg down and then Lorena stood up.
"Your turn." She stated as he complied, "could your legs be any longer?" She questioned.
His legs went up to the middle of her abdomen.
"Says you," Fernando chuckled.
Lorena literally had to use her whole body to push up against his calf as she felt him push back.
"You're pretty strong," he noted as he wiped his forehead.
"I'm not as delicate as I look." She retorted.
She let go of his calf slowly-- talk about a lot of muscle. Lorena grabbed the other and pushed again.
"Sergio doesn't make any sense..." She said as she looked at the moon.
"What?"
"He got angry over stupid things. He's lucky I have a lot of patience."
"He is a drama queen, like you said... but. Go on." Fernando said as he sat up and stretched his arms out.
"I mean, he was just asking me why I don't introduce him to any of my friends... when I have introduce him to the only real friend I have. I don't need any more friends... I'm content with two." Lorena said as she sat down next to him, taking her shoes and socks off.
"That's a lie. Everybody needs more than two friends." Fernando said.
"Ugh. But you see, the thing is. It's kind of hard to have friends when you're related to a star. Especially one that shines." She said as her face was turned to the ocean, watching the waves.
"Yes, but have you realized that maybe it's hard for him too?"
"Of course. I'm not dense. He's just also lucky that his other best friend is also a star." She smiled, "and he has a lot of friends. I know. He even said the most random thing yesterday..." Should she tell him what Sergio said about him?
"Lola. I'll be your friend." He said as Lorena turned to look at him.
Friend. She nodded, "kay."
"What was it that he said?"
"He said and I quote 'you might be a distraction for Fernando.' Do you know what that means?" She asked him looking at his big brown eyes.
Fernando sighed as he ran a hand through his short hair, " I have a girlfriend. Olalla. We're becoming distant... it's complicated. This is so strange Lola." He said quietly.
"What is?" She raised her eyebrows.
"I met Olalla when we were teenagers. She's great, everything was great, beautiful. Perfect even, but then. Then we moved to London. Things changed, she didn't like it, she still doesn't like it," he said.
"Maybe she's doing it because she loves you? I mean, that's a long time to be in a relationship..."
"No. She doesn't love me anymore, she wants to try and go back to the way things were, but that's just the thing. They can't. Especially now." Fernando said.
"What do you mean?"
"Well... I wouldn't say you're a distraction... I'd say you're more like. The solution."
"To what?" She asked dumbly.
"The pain." He said calmly.

Lorena could only stare at this man. He must really love Olalla in order to go through all these different emotions for one person. She didn't know what to say nor what to do besides stare at him.
"I'm guessing in the sense that it's hard for you?" She inquired, she couldn't see the pain in his eyes.
"Si lo es. I don't know what to do to fix it anymore. I try so hard, but she just doesn't think anything I do was the 'old' Fernando."
"Well, maybe she needs to accept the new one. I didn't know the old one, but I'm sure you're still the same person if anything." She shrugged.
"I can tell she's changed a lot. The move was bad for her. Olalla used to be so bright and calm."
"She did it because she loves you." Lorena stated bluntly.

"How do you know so much about relationships?" Fernando asked her as he stood up.
"I have no clue. I'm just telling you how it is when two people care about each other... I guess." She wanted to change the subject as she also stood up, grabbing her shoes and socks, then started heading back.
"Thank you." Fernando said as he smiled at her.
"I guess I can be your friend too Torres." She said poking his arm again.

They made their way back to the hotel, talking about random things, fatigue was settling over her but she had to take a shower first. Lorena asked him random questions, what his favorite color was, what his favorite food was, what his favorite everything was. It was nice to be able to get to know one of Sergio's friends, especially his best friend. She couldn't help it, he was handsome and he was human. Lorena had never expected that this would happen, all she wanted was to have a vacation with her cousin. Her mind didn't know what to think about this all, it hadn't been that long that she had known him and yet. Lorena felt like she didn't have to know everything about him right off the bat. She would be his friend.
"You have a lot of tattoos." She commented as they had reached her room.
"I like them... do you have any?" He asked.
"No.. I can't pull them off." She snorted as she went to grab some clean clothes, "so uh, Sergio left some shorts here the other day if you want to use them to sleep in... do you need to take a shower?" She asked him as she looked at him.
"I would like to yes." He smiled.
"Well... you can go first then."
He grabbed the pair of shorts that Lorena had given him and went into the bathroom. Lorena then had to do something that wasn't usual, she usually let Sergio cool down, but she couldn't not let him know. Quickly dialing his number, it went straight to voicemail, "Sergio... lo siento..." Then she hung up.

Lorena sprawled herself on the bed and put a pillow over her head groaning. The stupid reunion that she had to go to. Great. Everybody and their mom was going to be there.
"You okay?" Fernando asked as she took the pillow off her head.
"I found out about my family reunion today." She said.
"Oh yeah. Should be fun, don't you think?" He asked.
"I guess..." Lorena replied.
"I'll sleep on the couch, Sergio is a light sleeper and I don't want to wake him up..." Fernando said.
"It's a pull out, I'll help you."
They both pulled the couch and it turned into a bed, Lorena walking back into her room and giving him two pillows and a blanket, it was hot in this hotel room and she wasn't sure why. Most were freezing.
"Gracias," Fernando said.
She then noticed that he was shirtless again, but didn't stare. Her eyes could only look at his mud ones. Who gives if the color brown was the most common color for eyes? He made them look amazing.
"De nada. Dulce sueños. (Sweet dreams.)" She said as she started to walk away.
"Lola?" She heard him whisper.
"Hmm?" She said as she turned around.

Her cheek felt a pair of lips. "What was that for?" She questioned as she felt her cheek flush.
"Many things." He gave her a smile as he laid down on the bed.

Lola turned around and began to take her shirt off as she walked into the bedroom, not sure what to think of what just happened even though it was very common to kiss people on the cheek. The brunette made her way to the bathroom as she turned on the shower while thinking about her cousin. She couldn't tell him she actually did something illegal, and it's not like she really did lie to him... he was just better not knowing. She sighed as she got ready for bed making her way to the covers.

Her eyes drooped as she slipped away into sleep, dreaming of freckles amongst many things.
♠ ♠ ♠
nom noms. there you go... sorry it took a while, i got busy for a bit. x)