Solo Tu

chapter 9

Image
x
I wanna thank you for the things you've done I wanna thank you for your generosity~ Ziggy Marley

“You brought me breakfast?” Sergio said groggily.
“Yes! Breakfast in bed. After the game from hell yesterday, I thought you deserved to get pampered.” Lorena said smiling.
“You bought the whole menu.”
“Of course, I forget which one is your favorite, waffles or pancakes.” Lorena smiled.
“Thank you so much.” Sergio said as he held the door open for her to join.
“Don’t thank me. Thank your credit card.” His cousin laughed.
Spain had ended up winning against Italy during penalties which made everybody insane. The whole team was cheering and the box that was filled with the wives and girlfriends were jumping up and down. Lorena was so happy that they were going to the finals! Spain was in the final; everybody was very happy. She had met another girlfriend, Valentina Benitez. She was Jordi Alba’s girlfriend, but she didn’t get to interact much because Ema was in deep conversation with her and Krista. Of course, David and Eloá had been in deep conversation about the match, so Lorena and Diana were left to fend for themselves.

After the game, Lorena and Eloá had gone back to their room to chill out—that was the game from hell, especially for the footballers. They didn’t want a night out and Sergio had texted and told her that he’d see her tomorrow because he was exhausted. Lorena completely understood as she was tired herself. Now here she was in Sergio’s room bringing him breakfast in bed, Eloá needed to go out shopping for her mom’s birthday so it was just Lorena and her cousin.
“Come in. Come in.” Sergio said as Lorena walked in with the bags.
“So, I figured that we should spend the day together. The last time we hung out just us was when we got here, and not even then. A bunch of your buddies were here.”
“Sounds like a plan. What happened to your face?” Sergio questioned as he took out some pancakes.
“I fell at the party,” Lorena shrugged. It had faded, but the bruise was faintly there still.
What she had mentioned was partly true; she had forgotten that she hadn’t seen him in a bit. His coach was being strict and making the team have quality time.
“You klutz. You always fall, thank goodness you don’t wear nut crushing heels or else… you’d have a lot of bruises.” Sergio said as he stuffed his mouth.
“Thanks.” Lorena made a face, “ I can’t wait until this tournament is over with so we can have actual quality time.”
“Me too. Believe me, but. We get to spend the day together. No Fernando, No Eloá, just you and me. Fernando is bothering Juan Mata.” Sergio said.
“Finally, what do you want to do?” Lorena laughed as she watched her cousin scarf down another pancake.
“Can we just stay in? I’m so tired. Need to get my rest for the final. Good thing we leave tomorrow morning. I’d die if we had to leave today. I can’t believe we made the final!”
“I know.. everybody went insane!” Lorena said giggling, “do you think penalties is a lame way to decide a game though?”
“No. It’s necessary or else we’d play forever.” Sergio frowned.
“What do I know though? I just started liking the sport.” Lorena responded.
“So Iker has mentioned that Ema really likes you. But, I mean, why wouldn’t she? You’re pretty much the definition of awesome, plus you’re my cousin. It kind of comes with the territory.”
“Likewise. Is she someone I can trust?”
“She’s like the mom of the group. Always says nice things about everybody and watches out for her friends. There’s a reason why Iker is married to her..” Sergio shivered as he took a gulp of his milk.
“I forget that marriage is a taboo for you.”
“It’s not taboo…just… I’m only twenty-seven!”
“I know. Probably want to get married when you’re forty right?”
Sergio grinned, “something like that.”
He continued to eat while Lorena told him what she had been doing the past days that they hadn’t seen each other. She hadn’t really hadn’t done much except think. Think how Fernando’s hand felt on her body. Think how Fernando’s voice sounded so deep and silky—like a low grumble from a lion. Think how his scent was masculine mixed with what made him, him. It was delicious, and she hadn’t realized any of this until she had spoken to Camila. After her talk with her, everything had replayed that happened the night before magnified times a thousand. She didn’t know what it was about him, but she knew that she wanted to see him, to be with him again. Eloá had returned later that day, apologizing like crazy.
“I’m so sorry! Alvar told me what happened… I’m so stupid to leave you alone at a party where you didn’t know anybody.”
“It could have been worse,” Lorena said shrugging, “just don’t tell Sergio. He has no idea.” Lorena said.

Lorena didn’t understand why all of the sudden Fernando had clouded her mind. It was a bomb that went off in her mind and she couldn’t shake her thoughts from him. It was slowly driving her to the brink because she had only met the guy a couple of weeks ago. Lorena didn’t know what to do, she couldn’t tell Sergio, he would just ask her questions, she couldn’t tell Camila, she would tell her to talk to him, and she couldn’t talk to Fernando about this. At least not yet, it was just surprising: Usually it took her months to find someone that was at least in her range. She knew she was a lost cause with Fernando; he was so out of her league. Should she even try? Even hope? Lorena groaned inwardly as she had a smile plastered on her face while Sergio told her all the things that the team was doing. Things as in, joking around and having fun during practice.

“You guys seem to live the life. I just don’t know how you guys do it…going from hotel to hotel. Living out of a suitcase.”
“It comes with the deal, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s just that I get to do what I love every day and just happen to get paid millions per year. “
“Si, you always look so happy playing out there anyway.” Lorena said.
“Verdad. I just love it.”
“Are you excited for the family reunion?”
“¡O si! Very excited. It should be like old times no? I’m just happy it’s not in the usual Granada. Galicia…well more like Estorde, but same thing really.”
“Oh, I’m so excited about that. The beach Sergio! The beach!” Lorena giggled.
“Ah si, you and your beloved beach. Can’t wait until abuelo brings his guitar and makes you dance for him.”
“Oh shush. “ Lorena blushed.
“I still remember you being ten years old and dancing for abuelo during the fogatas (bonfires) when we went on vacation. You are his princesita. What happened with that Lorena?” Sergio asked as he finished scarfing down food.
“She grew up I guess… other things became important.” She said softly.
“I remember you used to be so carefree, so liberated. You didn’t used to care what people thought about you. You didn’t used to worry about so many things.”
“Sergio… I was ten. I was little, when you’re little you don’t need to worry about anything. You can do what you want and still get away with it because you’re innocent.”
“That doesn’t mean you can’t carry it on. I mean, you used to be so…how do I put it? Joyful. Yes. Joyful. All of the sudden, when you started going to school things changed. You became shy, silent, focused on your work.” Sergio noted.
“How the hell were you able to notice that when you were off playing your precious football?” Lorena asked in surprised.
“I’m just good like that, and it’s not like we didn’t see each other…”
“Usually when we saw each other was when you had a little break, and even then it was with the entire family.” Lorena remarked.
“I can’t help it if everybody misses me. Besides. I mainly went because my best friend needed me. Lola, what happened during school?”
What had happened during her school years before university? Before everything magically dissolved and got better, “you know I don’t like to talk about that…” Lorena said as she stood up and moved to the balcony.
“Why not though? Was it that bad?” Sergio continued to question her.
“You don’t even know the half of it.”
“Then help me understand. Help me. I want to know. Where did the joyful, happy Lorena vanish too? What happened to her?”
“Why do you want to know so bad?” She huffed.
“Because I care about you? I wish you could go back to the way you were.” Sergio said.
“Why? I’m still fun now aren’t I?”
“Yes, but now you hold yourself back. You didn’t care about the consequences before.”
“I stopped caring about myself a long time ago Sergio. Besides, it’s better this way. Trust me.”
“Why are you so difficult?” Sergio asked.
“Sergio, you really don’t want hear this. You already have enough on your plate, don’t you think?” Lorena raised an eyebrow.
“That’s why I have a whole team behind me ready for action whenever I do the wrong thing.” Sergio replied sternly.
“Aren’t you a lucky bastard?” She smiled.
“Yes. But. Seriously. “
“Why bring all this up now? Why, when everything is going so… smoothly for you?”
“I don’t know, I just started thinking about everything and I realized that you aren’t the same anymore. You aren’t the same Lola that I remember.” Sergio said frowning.
“Sergio…I’m still there, just more. Reserved. I’m twenty-five for God’s sake. It can’t be all play. There has to be work somewhere in there too.”
“I understand that, but you aren’t working now and you’re not playing.” He said.

If there was a word to describe Sergio right now, it would be annoying. Lorena huffed and looked to the ocean as her cousin stubbornly kept his eyes on her. She really hoped that, this wasn’t what they were going to do all day; him interrogate her about her school life, because she really didn’t want to share her past with her cousin. It’s not like it would make her feel any different, what happens in the past, stays in the past. Her eyes narrowed as she felt Sergio’s eyes burn at the side of her head. This is what happened when your best friend turned out to be family. Sometimes that always drove her insane was that when Sergio wanted to hear something from her, he wouldn’t stop until he got it, and he always did. Except this time.
“Why can’t you just leave it alone?” Lorena asked as she turned her head.
“I want to know where everything went wrong. Maybe I can fix it.” Sergio replied.
“Please Sergio. It already happened, it shouldn’t even matter now, I mean. The past is in the past you know. Nothing we can do to change it now..”
“But maybe you can change how you are?”
“I’m sorry I can’t be happy all the time like I used to. Things happen.”
“Like what?”
“You’re really not going to let this go are you?” Lorena groaned as she tilted her head back.
“You know me oh so well. Do I need to get the ice cream out?”
“That’s a low blow. Even for you.” Lorena giggled. Whenever Lorena received ice cream in the past from Sergio, he’d used that as something to get what he wanted out of her.
“Well it seems like there is no other way you’d tell me.” Sergio pouted.
Lorena sighed, what should she tell him? How could she tell him? His chocolate brown eyes had such intensity that she thought better of her instincts and decided to tell him what she had hidden for so many years.
“Okay fine. I’ll tell you. But you better promise not to tell anybody. Or I swear you’ll never call yourself my best friend again.” Lorena said closing her eyes, trying to find the words.
She didn’t want to re-live her past. Sergio was getting on her case, and the only way he would back off would be by telling him. She could lie, but then she’d feel really bad, after all, Sergio has been there for her quite a bit when nobody else was. He didn’t even know it, but the simplest gestures that he did when she was in trouble made her remember that there were people in this world that really did care. Lorena had just become a good actress at hiding what had happened during her years before university.

“When I started the upper years of preparatory school before university they weren’t as fun as everybody made them out to be. Sure, everybody went to parties, and everybody slept with each other, but it wasn’t my type of scene. At least, parties weren’t my scene yet. One day I show up at school and people start calling me a dyke and lesbian. For some uncanny reason, I couldn’t understand why. All the name calling went to the next level, when people began to vandalize my things. Steal my notebooks, steal my lunch, that type of stuff. I mean, I didn’t really care about anything that they did, sure it was terrible. I asked one of my so called ‘friends’ one day how all of this began, and they replied that because I didn’t involve myself in sexual activity, and because I didn’t go to parties like everybody that I was automatically a prude or a lesbian. You see the way I dress. T-shirts and pants all the time, converse and combat boots. Does that automatically make me a dyke? Well excuse me for dressing comfortably. Anyway. Point is, people just didn’t like how I didn’t go out because I’d rather do something with my time than go to stupid parties where there was underage promiscuity and drinking. Ever since that happened to me, I just became more reserved. It might not seem like a big deal, but a girl going through puberty at the time it was a blow to the whole confidence deal. And then people calling me a lesbian…you know that’s not true. Just because I’ve never actually had a relationship in my life doesn’t mean that I like girls. Just because I keep my heart guarded, doesn’t make me a lesbian.” Lorena finished looking at Sergio.
“People can be so cruel. I had no idea…why wouldn’t you share this? How could you think this wasn’t important?”
“Sergio. That’s a minimal problem. It really wasn’t a big deal. I just made it a big deal.” Her shoulders gave a shrug.
“Not a big deal? People threatening you and calling you names?”
“People call you names all the time and you don’t go around getting mad.” Lorena pointed.
“That’s different. Most of the time I don’t even pay attention because they’re people that don’t know what’s going on.”
“What makes you think that the people that called me names knew what was going on with me? Why do you think I don’t really try to make friends? People judge so quickly that it rarely gives me time to show who I am. It’s just better this way. Besides, I have you and I have Camila.” Lorena narrowed her eyes.
“When will you get it through your thick head that two people aren’t enough?”
“Okay, technically it’s three people now. Fernando offered to become my friend.” Lorena couldn’t help the tint of scarlet creeping up her cheeks.
“He would.” Sergio smiled.
“Now can you please get off my case? Joyful Lorena wouldn’t have survived in this world. She tried, but she wouldn’t have. She’s in here somewhere,” she said while tapping her heart, “but she only comes out to play when she knows that there are good people around. Who knows, maybe she’ll come out at the reunion.”
“That’s what I like to hear. See? That wasn’t so bad.”
“Sergio. You think you can always protect me, when sometimes you don’t even know what’s going on under your own nose. It is okay. I’m a big girl. I mean. I’m still here aren’t I?”
“Ay mi Lolita. It’s just that I still see you as the little girl that wanted to shout to the world that you were here and it better be prepared for you.” Sergio chuckled.
“Si, things change, circumstances change. Now. Let’s talk about you.” Lorena nodded towards her cousin.

She forgot that when she spent time with him it didn’t exist. They talked and forgot that the clock was ticking. This was what she needed.

“What about me?” Sergio asked.
“How have you been? What’s been going on?” Lorena questioned as she got her phone out.
“Tired. Oh you know, trying to win the only tournament that we haven’t won. “ Sergio said.
“Well that’s not fun. You need to chill out… I don’t think we can go to the beach. Movie day and night? What do you think? I’m sure we can find something on pay per view?” Lorena continued asking questions, it seemed like it was about to rain any second.
“That sounds wonderful actually. Oh, I do have something interesting. Do you remember Pilar?” Sergio asked as they went inside the hotel room.
“The redhead that is like eight years older than you?” Lorena scrunched up her nose.
“Yes her. Anyway. She just contacted me out of nowhere, and there’s a gala that she’s invited me to the week after the final. I’m thinking of going.” He stated.
“What about Camila?” Lorena said as she plopped down on a bed.
“What about her?” Sergio asked.
“You know. Don’t you have feelings for her?”
“Feelings? I know not what you speak of.” He shrugged as he plaid down on what she guessed was his bed. It was unmade and his side was messy, while the side that Lorena was on was neat and organized.
“Oh please. I won’t push it further, but come the reunion… you will speak.” Lorena said in a haunting voice.
“Until then.” Sergio smiled smugly.
Lorena wasn’t going to share her news that she had invited Camila because then Sergio would definitely freak out. He’ll definitely freak out when he sees her there, but won’t be able to do anything about the fact that she’s there because when a Ramos family reunion was in call, it was mandatory.
“Speaking of that. Fernando’s parents and siblings will be there as well.”
“Oh?” Lorena asked absentmindedly.
“Yeah, he has an older brother and sister… and they’ll be bringing their kids too.”
“Great. I’m just happy Dani will be there. She’s the only one that understands me.” Lorena giggled as she felt a pillow hit her stomach.
“Oh, shut up.” Sergio laughed as he turned the television on.
“Yeah, yeah. Just. You know. Try and relax. You can fall back asleep if you want. I’m sorry I woke you up, I really wanted to spoil you. Well. You actually spoiled yourself, but you know, I was nice enough to get it for you.” Lorena said.
“Hmm.” Sergio said as he was scanning through the pay per view channels.

Oh great. Her cousin was probably going to go to sleep. Not that she minded, maybe she could fall asleep too. Nah. She actually had slept the night before, so what was she to do? The brunette gave out a low sigh as she realized, that she hadn’t had seen Fernando in a couple of days either. Not that minded, she was actually grateful because maybe. Just maybe she could figure out what had sprung to life inside her when she had spoken to him that night not too long ago.
“Lola?” Sergio asked.
“Si?” She said as she sat up to look at the tv.
“Thank you.”
“For what?”
“Coming. You know how most of the time the family can’t make it down and it takes groveling and begging from Rene take Daniela traveling, but you know how she is. Miriam is always busy doing stuff too. They never have time to come watch me play.” Sergio sighed.
“Isn’t Rene your agent though? I mean. Shouldn’t he come with you?” Lorena asked.
“He’d rather have vacation time. Although, I know that he’s very happy for me.”
“Well… it’s the least I could do Sergio. You’re my favorite out of all of my cousins..” Lorena smiled, “besides. You spoil me too much, I have to return the favor somehow!” She giggled.
“You’re the best.” Sergio said.
“I try cousin. I try.”
“So what are we watching?” Sergio asked.
“Um.. I don’t know. Pick any movie.”
“How about… this one?” Sergio asked as he scrolled through the movies.
“Sure. I don’t care, you’re going to fall asleep anyway.” Lorena mused.
“Don’t judge me.”
“I’m not.”
“Good.” Sergio replied.

She forgot that Sergio was a different version of her. Simple and uncomplicated, she forgot that he could also feel lonely. This is why Sergio was her best friend. Or one of them, he understood her in more ways than one. They complemented each other a lot, and she was able to trust him. This is the Sergio that she loved so much. The Sergio that always wanted to just talk and be there for her. The Sergio that wasn’t overprotective of her, but was next to her walking the path of life. Lorena had missed him, and she wasn’t sure if it was because she hadn’t spent any time with him. Swiftly, she got up from Fernando’s bed and went over to Sergio’s. He was watching the movie that was currently playing. She smiled at her cousin as he opened up his arm to let her lay down with him. He enveloped her in a hug as she snuggled to her cousin. Smiling that familiar smile where things with joy fill her heart as she felt the rhythmic breathing of her cousin signaling that he had immediately fallen asleep.

Lorena made a mental note to remember that her best friend really had the best intentions. She could tell him anything and everything: Something that a lot of people didn’t have in their life and she suddenly felt honored and privileged to have such a great person in her life.
♠ ♠ ♠
i personally hate this chapter. it's random and full of crap. but it's something and had to be written.