Status: in progress

Beauty Killed the Beast

You're the only one that wore your seat belt

Gwen had known Ronnie for a few months now. She knew what he was like and how he could be sometimes. He was the type of guy who would show up at your house at one o'clock in the morning just because he wanted to. And that's exactly what he did.

Even though she had school in about 6 hours, Gwen was still awake. She had an awful case of insomnia. She couldn't ever fall asleep so she usually spent her nights laying awake in bed or reading a book. It helped pass the time. She was in the middle of a sentence when she heard a slight tapping on her window. Even though her room was on the first floor, the window was pretty high off the ground.

She pushed the blankets on her bed aside and walked cautiously over to the window. Her biggest fear was that something or someone would pop up out of nowhere and scare her half to death. But when she looked through the window panes, she saw Ronnie standing there holding a flashlight over his head and a pebble in his other hand. He dropped the pebble and used his hand to motion to her to open the window.

She sighed and unlocked the window, sliding it open. "Ronnie, it's almost one-thirty in the morning. What are you doing outside my window?"

"Come on. We're going on an adventure." He waved her outside.

She hesitated. She knew Ronnie. This could very well end badly. "Fuck it." She decided. "Let me grab my bag and I'll meet you in the front."

She knew that it probably wasn't the best idea. Decision making at early hours of the morning was always unhealthy. But decision making at early hours of the morning was meant for teenagers like Gwen and Ronnie. They just simply didn't give a fuck.

She grabbed her bag, slipped on her flip flops, grabbed her black cardigan off her bean bag chair in the corner and snuck out of the house to meet Ronnie at the front. He greeted her with a hug but she pulled away quickly.

"Ronnie, you smell like alcohol and weed. Are you sure driving is the best idea? Maybe I should drive." Gwen suggested.

"Don't be silly, Gwen." Ronnie tapped the side of her arm. "You don't even have your driver's license yet. You can't drive. Besides, it'll be fine." He pulled her closer to him and left a kiss on her cheek.

He had her so distracted that she just willingly got in the car with him. He was hypnotizing. She would do anything to spend more time with him. She thought maybe she loved him.

She got into the back seat with Ronnie and there were already three other people inside. She recognized the other girl, Whisper, in the passenger's side up front next to her boyfriend, Mark. Next to Ronnie on the other side was someone she didn't recognize. Apparently his name was Max and he was in Ronnie's band. The entire car reeked of drugs and alcohol.

Mark backed out of Gwen's driveway slowly and she got slightly reassured that maybe he wasn't as smashed as everyone else. But then he put the car into drive and floored the gas pedal, speeding off down the empty street. Her heart fell into her stomach.

The music was loud, all the windows were open and they were flying down the street at close to ninety miles per hour.

"Hey, Mark? Could you maybe slow down a little bit?" Gwen tried shouting over the music and the wind. It was no use. He couldn't hear her. She shook her head and looked out the window, watching the scenery go by much too fast.

"Hey, Gwen." Ronnie nudged her arm and handed her a bottle.

"No, thanks." She shook her head and handed him the bottle back.

He was so wasted he couldn't care less about her rejecting his offer. She knew normally he would have tried to pressure her into having some. At this point in Ronnie's mind set, all he cared about was having more himself.

They passed the alcohol around and even Mark was drinking while he was driving, as if he hadn't already had enough. Gwen looked around and noticed that she was the only one wearing her seat belt. Suddenly, she heard an angry car horn and looked up to see a bright set of headlights coming straight towards them. The next thing she knew, there was shattered glass, and her body was violently thrown about in the seat, the seat belt restraining her from going anywhere. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same for everyone else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I do like this chapter a lot actually. I think I just needed to experiment a bit with the whole flash back, non-flashback thing first before I really got into it. Obviously it's not something I do often. In fact, I've never done a story this way before. Thanks for bearing with me, you guys.

Comment recognition:

-PoeticMess.

Thank you again. You're really great and thanks for your thoughts. I definitely take them into consideration while writing. :)

Any other comments are welcome! I know this hasn't been the best but I'm really trying. It's definitely not easy writing a story this way.