To France With Love

Cornering and Mixed Doubles

Maria and I finished practicing and went straight over to watch Rafa play. We came in just in time.
The match was just about to start.

Rafa lost the first set, and the second was tie, but he was able to pull through and win that set. He won the next two sets to take the match. I stood up and cheered with the rest of the crowd.

I looked down at Rafa as he shook hands with his opponent, Daniel Brands and the line judge. He looked up into the crowd, for a split second he saw me and met my eyes. He turned away immediately to address the other side of the stadium.
.............................................................................

I approached Rafa at dinner that night, and cornered him at his table. “I have to talk to you.” I said. I looked up into his eyes. He shrugged and sighed.

“What?” He asked defensively. “You wanna tell me that winning my first match isn't a big deal?” I sighed.

“Of course not. I’m so sorry.” I pleaded “I didn't mean anything I said. I was in a bad mood, but that’s not an excuse. I’m just so so sorry.” He looked down at me and put his hand on my shoulder and lead me out of the ballroom and into the lobby.

"Thank you." He said when we had stopped walking. He opened his mouth like he was going to say something, but I started talking first.

"I don't know what happened." I said. "I really do care about how you're doing. I really do want you to want to come tell me. I really screwed up and I feel so awful." I felt my eyes well up with tears, but I tired to keep talking. "I....I.....I - "

He wrapped his arms around around me. "Shhhh." He said. "Everything is okay." He rested his head on my head and rubbed my back.

I took a few deep breaths, and looked up at him. "Do you want to go back to dinner?" He asked.

I mumbled, "No.", into his chest and hugged him tighter. He laughed, and let go of me.

"Well," he said, "you cornered my on my way to get something to eat. So its your fault I didn't eat. So you can come back to dinner with me." He took my hand and I followed him back into the ballroom.
................................................................................

Rafa and I sat at the bar in the hotel. We shared a bottle of red wine. It was my first time drinking publicly I mean, we were in Europe, so it was legal.

“How ‘bout you and me play mixed doubles one year before I get too old.” Said Rafa. “We be the best team out there.” He and I would probably make a good team.

“Definitely!” I giggled. “We would win everything!” We both laughed.

When it was time to leave, Rafa and I stood hand in hand in the elevator. When it got to his floor he started walking out of the elevator, but he didn’t let go of my hand. I followed him out. He unlocked his room, and thats where it happened.

He kissed me. Not like the other times he had, this time he was more passionate. I was mesmerized. I closed my eyes and sighed as he unzipped my dress. I stood there kissing him until he slowly pushed me onto the bed. I unbuttoned his dress shirt, revealing more of his chiseled body.

Everything else was a blur. All I remember was that the rest of our clothes were taken off and him kissing my neck, and it feeling like nothing I had ever felt before.

Finally, before I fell asleep, I remember rolling onto my side. Rafa and I stared at each other. My eyelids drooped, but he looked right into my eyes.

“I love you.” He whispered. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

“I love you too.”