No One Called the Devil a Liar

Comes to an End

I pick up the journal. I untie the string wrapped around it and flip through the pages. The earlier entries are mostly about his life, his view on life and the things he’s going through. Flipping through pages they change, they become about drug experiences and his view on the people who surround him; his friends. He’s a detailed writer.

August 19th, 2012

Today. Today. What is today? It is a Tuesday. It’s warm outside, but cloudy. It rained last night. I like the mornings after a long night of rain. The rain washes away all of the bad, at least for the day. I’m sitting on the porch today. Enjoying a cup of coffee and smoking a cig. There’s a slight breeze coming from the west and it gives the air a slight salt taste. I’m pondering what I should do today, or at least I’m telling you that because I already know what I am doing. I will be doing what I do every day. I will be going to the skate park and skating around on my crappy board. I don’t know why I like to skate, it really isn’t that fun. But it is something to do. It wastes time. And time is something I have too much of. Way too much time. Alex will be there of course. Maybe he will have weed. I could use some.


I hear footsteps on the hard wood floor outside my door. I stare at my door expecting someone to knock or walk in. The footsteps travel down the hallway then disappear. I let out the breath I didn’t realize I was holding and continue reading. He writes more about what he is going to do that day. I skim over the pages until what he’s going to do become what he did.

Skating was no different than usual. There weren’t many guys at the park. I imagine the clouds scared them off. Alex eventually showed up. He brought some people with him, but that was expected. He’s always hanging out with the strangest people. I hadn’t met these people before. They were fine people, I suppose, but one person stood out to me. She probably had to be one of the most beautiful beings I have ever seen. I didn’t catch her name. I wish I had. She was so lovely. She had long brown hair and hazel eyes that matched it. Her skin was pale and soft. I wanted so bad to stroke her cheek, feel the smoothness under my fingertips. She was quiet. She didn’t say many words but when she did, her voice was soft. She would smile at others, but she wouldn’t laugh. I knew that smile. It is a smile I, too, possess. It’s not a real smile, but it’s not a fake smile either. It’s an understanding smile, but a smile that possesses no real meaning. I know it way too well. It was a beautiful smile, nonetheless.

“Hey, Dyllan?” Alex calls from the hall.
I tie up the journal and put it under my pillow. “Uh, yeah?”
“Dinner is being cooked, we would like it if you came downstairs and joined us.”
“Yeah, I’ll be down in a sec!” I listen as the footsteps walk away and pull the journal back out. I begin to untie it once again but decide against it. Once I start reading again, I know I won’t be able to stop.
I set back down and stand up. I stretch and head downstairs.
I walk into the kitchen. Jaksin is sitting at the dining table talking to Charlotte who is cutting something up. Through the sliding glass door I can see Alex outside grilling something and a person, I’m guessing Brandon, is standing next to him. They both have their backs facing us.
“Oh, hi!” Charlotte says from behind t counter. I smile at her. “Would you like something to drink?” She asks.
“No thanks, I’m fine.” I reply. I sit in a chair opposite of Jaksin. A few moments later, Alex is carrying a tray full of steaks into the house. He smiles at me when he enters.
“Oh! Dyllan, this is our son Brandon. Brandon, this is Dyllan.” Alex says.
“Hello, Dyllan.” He says coolly. He, too, shares the dark hair and dark eyes of his father and brother. He has an edgy attitude.
“Hi.” I reply.
They begin setting the table around me. I watch as they bring in plates, silverware, and food then sit. They begin passing around the food; bread, salad, and steak. I fill my plate with salad and take a slice of bread, but skip the steak.
“Do you not like steak?” Brandon asks. I feel irritated by his attitude already.
“I don’t eat meat.” I state plainly and pour some raspberry vinaigrette on my salad.
“Like a vegetarian?” He pesters.
“Yes, like a vegetarian.” I start eating. He chuckles.
“So how was school?” Charlotte asks him.
“It was fine.”
“How about you Jaksin, did you have a good day?” Alex asks. He nods.
“Yeah, I guess.”

After dinner I sneak back up to my room. I get comfortable in bed and pull out the journal. I begin reading, but soon find myself dozing off before I can finish a page.