Status: True story, read it & be jealous.

The Last Minute

Begging Pays Off

Procrastination is our enemy, and music concerts are every teenagers' weakness. It's no surprise I procrastinate on playing tests for my band class. I mean, I was 15. Being a typical Sunday night, I was busy as a bee with my test due the next day. The sound of my instrument blared as my lips gently touched my mouthpiece and air was blown through the horn. 14 scales were required and I was only done with two. After recording the third scale for my teacher, my complaint was answered by my best friend, Alyssa.

The six members of Paradise Fears were first to perform at the Firebird, but only three members would be going on stage. I later found out there was a problem with their equipment and they needed to play an acoustic show. How much better could this concert get? Oh yeah, if only I was able to go.

I wanted more than anything to go to this concert! I begged my mom to let me go for months! She was convinced I would not be going, and I complained to my friends about my situation nearly every day. That Sunday, I persuaded my mom and changed her mind. With two sweet words of "That's fine...", my heart raced, A last minute concert on a Sunday night, with the hopes of meeting the band members after the show.

I got dressed up, smelling of fruity perfume and sweat pea deodorant. Anticipation got the better of me when I nearly ran to the car. I slipped on my headphones to prepare myself for the songs Paradise Fears could potentially sing at the concert.

The drive to the venue was painful as hell. To get inside, we needed to buy a ticket at the door. Paradise Fears isn't too popular in my city of St. Louis, so I had a good feeling there would be a few extra tickets. Those tickets would give me a chance to stand in a crowded audience and listen to a boy band with a good taste in music. All I needed, all I wanted a ticket. My luck happened to be heavy that night as we stepped through the venue doors.

Nervous for the response, I swallowed my spit and said "One ticket, please."

I handed my money to the lady behind the counter and stepped aside with my best friend. A muscled man marked a black "X" on the backs of our hands. We slid our way into the crowd like snakes. Vibration tingled my body, chattering filled the room, and the music started blasting.