Status: coming this summer!

Rebound

never thought I'd catch

“So, do you want red or white?” Jon asked, looking between the two groupings of bottles. Amerie walked up beside him, tapping her chin as she pretended to think and causing Jon’s nerves to vanish. Finally she reached up, grabbing a bottle of pinot noir and bringing it down.

“Am I okay to drink this or?”

“Of course.” Jon said, said, smiling. “Here, I’ll take a glass too.” He then quickly pulled out two wine glasses, smiling softly at the small French Canadian. He almost never drank alcohol during the season, but figured he could make an exception for Amerie. He took the glasses and the bottle into the living room, turning on the electric fireplace as they both plopped down on the couch.

He had to admit he was a nervous wreck. He didn’t remember anything about flirting or being on dates with beautiful women. He didn’t know if he should try to kiss her since it could escalate to them sleeping together and driving her away. And if there was one thing Jon was determined to do, it was keep Amerie with him. But he also had to flirt just enough to let her know he was interested… He pressed his lips together, trying to calm down his racing mind and think of something else. And that’s when he remembered the nightgown.

His face turned bright red as he pictured Amerie in it again, her chestnut hair rolling over the sheer blue fabric as she walked towards him. He couldn’t stop himself from the vision as she straddled him, sliding off his shirt and covering his chest with kisses before she-

“Jon?” Jon’s head snapped up as Amerie simply looked at him, her head cocked to one side as a soft smile stayed on her lips.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“I said do you want some wine?” She held up the bottle and Jon felt himself nod, hoping the alcohol would take the edge off, even if only a little. He watched as she slowly poured it, handing him the other glass with a small smile.

“I’m sorry.” He finally spat out.

“Sorry for what?” He sighed, running his free hand through his hair as he took a drink.

“Sorry I’m being so fu…” He paused, clearing his throat. “So awkward. I’m just really nervous around you.” She blushed at the compliment before reaching over, setting on of her hands on his shoulder. He looked over and she gave him a small kiss on the cheek, a beaming smile on her face.

“You don’t have to be nervous. I don’t bite.” She gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze before retracting her hand and taking another sip of wine. Jon wanted to lunge, he wanted to pin her down on the couch like he would have done back before Maddi and Jacklyn, but he couldn’t. He couldn’t wake Maddi up and have to explain the birds and the bees to a four year old. Jacklyn would kill him. So he just let out a small sigh, taking a sip of wine and turning to her.

“So, I have to ask, what’s um…” He pressed his lips together, trying to remember the name of her hometown. “Disham…decharm…” Amerie finally got what he was trying to say and giggled, showing off those perfect lopsided dimples that Jon was falling in love with.

“Deschambault.” She said.

“Right, what’s Deschambault like?” She sighed, leaning back and studying the ceiling as she tapped her wine glass softly.

“It’s one of the most beautiful little villages you’ll ever see.” She said, smiling. “It looks like something right off of a postcard. You walk down Main Street and feel just like you’re in a little village in France. It’s perfect.”

“So… why did you leave then?” She sighed again, looking into her wine glass as she swirled it softly.

“I had bigger plans then taking over the bakery. I wanted to come here, to America, and go to college, get a degree, help people you know?” Jon nodded, watching her eyes as the bright blue turned sad. “But my parents didn’t want me to go. They said since I was the oldest, the bakery was my responsibility after they left. They told me I was being selfish.”

“What degree were you getting?” Amerie looked over, as if she’d just remembered Jon was there, and blushed.

“Psychology.” She chuckled sadly, taking another small sip of her wine. “They said I should at least get a degree in something that could help them, like business.” There was a short pause before Jon scooted closer to her, their legs only a breath apart.

“I didn’t know you had a degree in psychology.”

“I have two. They’re just bachelors though. I want to go back and get a masters in at least one.”

“Are the both just general psychology or…?”

“One is, the other is family psychology. I wanted to help families going through divorces and trauma become, well, families again.” Jon simply nodded, looking at her. This couldn’t be a coincidence. She wanted to help families going through divorce, he was going through a separation which would no doubt lead to divorce. She was only three years younger than him, was great with Maddi, she was everything he had ever wanted. It seemed almost too good to be true.

“So, what do you do now?”

“Right now I’m paying off my school loans.” She chuckled. “I want to make sure my debts aren’t too ridiculous before I go back for my masters.”

“So, what do you do?” Amerie’s flat had seemed pretty nice for someone paying off college loans, and it made him curious as to what she did. She sighed, leaning back on the couch.

“I um… I actually am between jobs right now.” She admitted. “I got fired from my last one because…” She turned to him, her cheeks red. “Remember that ex I told you about?”

“Yeah?”

“He was my supervisor. Told me he was done with me and to hit the road.” She let out a small sigh again, taking a much larger sip of her wine before topping off her glass. “He was a pig.”

“So, you don’t have a job?” She shook her head, shame coloring her cheeks pink.

“I was actually on my way to an interview when I saw Maddi on the swings all by herself. I asked her where her parents where and she said she didn’t know. I knew I couldn’t leave her to get kidnapped, so I stayed.” She then looked up, smiling softly. “That’s when you showed up.”

Jon simply sighed, leaning back and watching her as she took another sip of wine. He knew he couldn’t let her live from paycheck to paycheck, struggling to pay back loans. Especially since he and Maddi had made her miss an interview. He knew how hard it was to get a decent job in LA. And it was even harder to find decent people to do them. He had gone through dozens of nannies for Madison.

He then shot up, smiling broadly as he turned to her. She looked up, cocking her head to one side at his beaming smile. “What?”

“Amerie, I’ve been looking for a nanny for Maddi. Would you like to do it? You can live here, free room and board. And I know Madison would love it.” Amerie just shook her head slowly, a look of shock on her face.

“Jon, you hardly know me.”

“Look I just…” He stopped, pressing his lips together again. “She needs a good female role model right now. And I’ve never seen her take to anyone so fast. Please.” She just looked at him for a long time, those bright blue stunners locked on him and making his heart race. “And Madison’s not the only one who’s taken to you.” He whispered. He reached out, taking her hand in his and causing her to flush. But finally she smiled.

“Okay.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” She murmured. “I would love to.” Jon’s body shot forward on its own as he hugged her tightly, but not realizing his own strength he accidently knocked her onto her back, both of them stunned as they laid on the couch. He couldn’t see anything but her eyes, and could feel the way her body just seemed to melt into his. But finally he cleared his throat, shooting up as Amerie followed.

“I’m so sorry.”

“It’s fine. I just up, Let me wipe this up.” She nodded to her fallen glass, which had spilled on the hardwood floors. Jon simply nodded as she scurried out of the room. He waited until she was sure she was gone before he ran his fingers through his hair, wanting to kick himself. She probably thought he was a total creep and was going to run away in the middle of the night. He plopped back down on the couch, feeling like an idiot as she came back in with paper towels.

“Here, I’ve got it.” Jon said, taking them and wiping up her wine before she could object. She simply sat back on the couch, watching him before he took the spot by her side once again, filling her glass back up.

“So…” She murmured. “How do you think the team is looking for this season?” He wanted to hug her again for being so good at changing the subject as he smiled, starting to discuss the inner workings of the team as she simply smiled.

They talked about sports for hours, the Kings, The threat of last year’s champs the Blackhawks, even the Bruins came up a few times, but Amerie quickly steered Jon away from having to talk about Tuukka. Finally after a few hours and a few more glasses of wine, Jon watched as Amerie’s eyes slowly slipped shut. Jon smiled at her, just looking at her for a moment before scooping her up in his arms.

He made his way up the stairs to the guest bedroom, being careful not to wake her. He then gently shifted her in his arms to pull the blankets back, tucking her in like he had done for Maddi just a few hours earlier. But as he turned to leave he felt a hand weakly tug on his own. He turned back to see Amerie, her eyes blurry with sleep as she smiled softly.

“Will you stay?” She murmured. He turned bright red as her eyes slipped closed again, but now he wasn’t so sure if she was asleep. He knew they both might regret it come morning, but right now he didn’t care. He tugged off his shoes before sliding in beside her, smiling as she wrapped her arm lazily around his stomach. He couldn’t stop grinning as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, letting his hand linger for a moment before pulling back.

“Goodnight Amerie.” She smiled softly, nuzzling even closer into his chest.

“Goodnight.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww.
So I'm going to try really, REALLY hard
to finish this before I start school.
Which means 2 updates a day.
So it might not happen
but I'll try!

oxoxoxoxoxox
LS