Status: coming this summer!

Rebound

maybe if you stay

Jon let out a long yawn the next morning, his head slightly blurry from drinking so much wine last night. He looked around, wondering why he was in the guestroom when he felt a warm breath roll over his shirt, sneaking through the fabric to touch his skin. His eyes moved down to Amerie, who was still snuggled up against his chest. He blushed, just looking at her for a long time and wondering what he had done to have such a beautiful woman want him around. He slowly reached over, running his fingers through her silky, chestnut hair.

She let out a small, adorable groan before her eyes fluttered open, the bright blue reminding Jon of the dazzling ocean just outside. She blushed as she realized how close together they were, their legs interweaved and he face nuzzled so comfortably against his chest. He knew she had to think he was a total creep as they both pulled away, blushing madly.

“Sorry, I just, I didn’t want to wake you-” He started, his face feeling like it was on fire.

“I was half asleep when I asked you to stay and-” She said simultaneously. They both then stopped, chuckling nervously.

“So um… how about some breakfast? I called the rest of the guys so we can get your stuff moved in afterwards, they’ll be here in like an hour.” He then bit his lip. “That is, if you still want to be Maddi’s nanny.” She looked at him for a moment before that perfect, dazzling smile lit up the whole room.

“Of course, if you’ll still have me.” She answered. He beamed before she cleared her throat, looking at the floor. “We should probably change, I feel like Maddi’s smart enough to realize we didn’t.”

“Right.” He said quickly. “I’ll um… I’ll meet you in the kitchen.” But as he turned to leave he heard that angelic voice again, stopping him in his tracks.

“Jon.” As he turned around, Amerie gripped him tightly, nuzzling her face into his chest. He was stunned for only a split second before hugging her back, loving the feeling of having her in his arms. “Thank you.” She whispered after a moment.

“For what?” She looked up at him, beaming.

“For everything.” They both blushed, either one letting go until Jon’s phone buzzed in his pocket. He turned back to Amerie, who simply smiled. “Go.” He nodded, unable to wipe the smile off his face as he stepped outside, closing the door behind him and making his way to the deck.

“This is Quick.”

“That was fast.” He froze at the sound of Jaclyn’s voice on the other end of the phone, seizing up in the doorway.

“I don’t really think you can lecture me on this.” He said calmly, never having been one for yelling unless he was on the ice. “How did you even-”

“You’re a huge celebrity Jon, you think no one would notice that you took home the same girl who was sitting with our daughter at the game? There are pictures everywhere of your little French Canadian skank. Just at least tell me you waited until Maddi was asleep to-”

“It’s not like that.” He said simply, looking out into the waves and being reminded of Amerie’s bright eyes. “Unlike you and your fuck buddy Tuukka.”

“Jealousy isn’t a good look for you Jon.” She said bitterly. “And don’t talk about your little rebound like she’s some saint.”

“She’s not a rebound.” Jon growled, beginning to become agitated as his grip on the balcony tightened. “She’s so much more than that. She’s smart and she’s funny and beautiful…” He stopped, blushing slightly. “Besides, rebounds are someone you can throw away without giving a damn.”

“Oh, so you’re in love with her then? Have you ever considered she’s just a huge gold digger?”

“Don’t you dare talk about Amerie like that.” She snapped. “She didn’t even know who I was when we first met.”

“She’s Canadian, lives in LA, and doesn’t know who you are? I think I smell major bullshit.”

“Is there anything you wanted besides reminding me why I’m so glad I’m over you?” He asked. She huffed.

“Tuukka is taking me to meet his parents back in Finland, so I was going to ask if you and your little… girlfriend” She spat the word at him like it left a bad taste on her tongue. “Would be willing to watch Maddi for another week.”

“Of course we would. Goodbye.” With that he hung up, wanting nothing more than to chuck his phone over the balcony, but a soft hand on his shoulder caused him to turn. Amerie was just looking at him, her eyes betraying her concern.

“I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I heard you raise your voice and wanted to make sure everything was alright.” He blushed, his eyes moving to the deck.

“How much did you hear?” When she didn’t answer he turned only for her to softly press her lips to his cheek. His face lit up like a wildfire as she just looked at him, smiling with tears in her eyes.

“When you said I wasn’t a rebound.” She whispered. “Jon, those have to be the kindest words anyone has ever said about me.”

“They’re all true.” He murmured. He let his hands move down to hers, loving the way they fit together as he looked into those dazzling blue eyes. Both their cheeks were flushed as he slowly started to lean towards her, both of them letting their eyes slip shut. Jon felt his heart hammering painfully against his ribs as he finally pressed his lips to hers in a soft, chaste kiss. He didn’t have much time to enjoy it however before he heard a round of applause and hollering.

They both looked over to see the entire roster of the LA Kings. Amerie quickly dropped Jon’s hands, muttering something about letting them in before she said she needed to go get her clothes from her flat. Jon just stood there, waiting until he heard the front door close before he exploded.

WHAT THE FUCK YOU GUYS?!?” He roared.

“Don’t look at us, your little girlfriend let us in.” Dustin chuckled.

“She’s not my girlfriend.” Jon said flatly. “Dammit guys I fucking had her and you have to come in here and-”

“Daddy?” Jon stopped as Madison walked out, rubbing her eyes. Jon walked over, scooping her up and resting her on his hip. “Where’s Miss Amerie?”

“She went back to get her things.” He said, unable to keep back his smile at the surprise he had for her. Her head fell to one side as she looked at him.

“Why?”

“Because she’s going to be your new nanny, so she’s moving in with us-” Madison’s eyes shot open as the rest of the guys started cheering again, causing Jon to flush.

“Got her bunking with you already Quickie?” Jeff asked. “Even I don’t move that fast.”

“It’s completely professional.” Jon insisted.

“So was your little sleepover.” Matt winked.

“Not in front of Maddi you animals.” Jon grumbled. “Here Jon, I’ve got her.” Penner said as he and Jeff led her off to her room. Once she was gone, Dustin pounced.

“So how did last night go? You nail her yet?” Jon rubbed his face with his hand, pressing his lips together tightly.

“No. Like I told Jaclyn there is absolutely nothing-”

“Jaclyn knows about her?” Dustin asked. Jon stopped, pressing his lips together.

“She called this morning.” Dustin sighed, steering Jon away from the rest of the team as they began to raid his kitchen.

“You deserve to be happy Jon. And we’ve all seen the way you fucking glow around this girl, so what’s holding you back?” Jon sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“I don’t know.” He admitted. “I just, I feel like I should try to work things out with Jaclyn-”

“Jaclyn left you.” Dustin said bluntly. “She abandoned you and Maddi to be with that idiot Rask. She moved on, and it’s time for you to do the same.” Jon nodded, pressing his lips together again as he looked at his friend.

“What do I do?”

“Well.” Dustin said simply. “It’s kind of hard to date someone you’ve never gone on a date with.”

“What if she says no?”

“Jon, have you seen the way that girl looks at you?” He shook his head, chuckling. “Trust me, she won’t say no.” At Dustin’s words the front door opened again, the team cheering as Amerie stepped back inside with a duffel bag and Jean Claude. He meowed loudly, and at the sound Madison shot out of her room

“KITTY!” She squealed, scooping up the cat the second he touched the ground. Amerie busted out laughing, scooping up the two of them and making her way into the kitchen.

“Look at her Jon.” Dustin whispered. “I have never seen Maddi take to someone that quick. She beautiful, she’s somehow into your ugly ass.” Jon chuckled, turning to Dustin. “She’s fucking gift wrapped for you.” Jon just nodded, and as Amerie let Madison run off with Jean Claude, he walked over to her.

“Amerie?” She turned to him, smiling. “The uh, the beach is stunning this time of the morning, want to take a walk with me?” She blushed, but nodded, the two of them walking off to cat calls from the other players. Jon simply flipped them off as he walked away, Amerie chuckling nervously.

They quickly made their way down the stairs and onto the sand, and Jon could have sworn her eyes were actually sapphires as they glittered in the morning light. They both kicked off their shoes, letting their feet sink into the warm sand as they looked at the sun rise over the water.

“Wow.” She whispered. “It’s beautiful.” He beamed, looking at her.

“Absolutely breathtaking.” He murmured. She slowly turned, and when she saw him looking at her, realizing he wasn’t talking about the sunrise, she blushed. Jon took a deep breath, summoning all of his courage as he stopped, taking her hands in his. “Amerie…” He said, his cheeks burning.

“Yes?” She whispered. He could hardly even remember his name as he looked into those magnificent eyes, her heart pounding and his palms beginning to sweat.

“Will you go on a date with me?” He asked. “I mean like a real date? Just you and me and I get to kiss you at the end of it?” She turned so red he thought she might pass out and was about to retract his offer when she beamed. She leaned forward, pressing her lips softly to his before pulling away.

“I would love to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
God I would apologize again
But I feel like I do that on every single chapter
So I'll tell you what
I'll update super quick (ha) instead
Thanks for reading lovelies!

oxoxoxoxox
Ashlee