Status: coming this summer!

Rebound

I've been losing sleep, dreaming

Jon was a bundle of nerves as he sat in the restaurant, fiddling with his hands. Amerie had insisted on meeting him there after one of his games, saying she wanted to surprise him. It had been the surprise part that had him nervous, wondering what exactly she was going to do as he looked at the front door, his knee jiggling anxiously.

They had won again today, Jon getting his second shutout, but winning somehow seemed so much easier because now he had someone to win for. He had someone who had his back and cheered for him through thick and thin. He knew he’d had the team and the fans, but seeing her face in the crowd, knowing that, no matter what, all she wanted him to do was his best, made him feel like he had to win.

The door opened and caught his attention, his jaw dropping as he watched Amerie come through it. Her hair was styled perfectly, the chestnut curls bouncing softly as she moved. She had on the most perfect little black dress Jon had ever seen, it was just short enough to catch his interest, but long enough that she looked completely respectable. Her lips were pink and looked so soft Jon wanted to kiss her again and again until neither one could breathe. And as she saw him and those perfect lips pulled into a smile, he felt like a warm breeze had just washed over him.

The waiter escorted her over and Jon shot up, pulling out her chair for her and just looking at her in awe as she sat. Finally, he managed to let out a small gasp of, “Wow.”

“Is it too much?” She asked, chuckling nervously. “Nicole let me borrow this and did my makeup and it’s not really my kind of thing but-” He kissed the top of her head before taking his seat again, beaming at her.

“You look absolutely breathtaking.” He murmured. She turned bright red, looking at her napkin.

“Thank you.” She glanced up, smiling. “You look very dashing yourself.” He chuckled, fixing his tie.

“Thanks. Dustin told me this was a nice, fancy place so…” He chuckled, running a hand through his hair. “I did my best.” She giggled at that, looking back over at him and setting her hand on the table. He wasn’t even nervous anymore as he reached over, taking her hand in his and gently rubbing he fingers with his thumb. “So, how was Maddi today? She wasn’t too much of a handful right?”

“Oh not at all.” Amerie chuckled. “We just dressed Jean Claude up and played another game of Princess Tea Party.” He chuckled at that, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand.

“You didn’t get any ideas in her head about more princes, did you?” She laughed at that, her head falling back and exposing her perfect, soft neck to Jon. He couldn’t help but wonder what it would feel like to press his lips to the soft skin until he found her weak spot. He then blushed, knowing he needed to be a gentleman as she looked back at him.

“No, she’s a bit young to be thinking about marriage.” She giggled. Jon just nodded, smiling.

“Good.”

Conversation was flowing so easily between them that neither one could really believe how awkward they’d been what seemed like years ago when they first met. And as they made their way through dinner and dessert, Jon never let his hand leave Amerie’s. He felt better than he had in a long time, like when he’d first met Jaclyn, or when he’d held Maddi in his arms for the first time. He was so high up on cloud nine that nothing could bring him down.

Or at least that’s what he thought until the press swarmed them on the way out. He threw his jacket over Amerie, trying to hide her head in his chest as the lights blinded them. He made sure to flash them all a warning glare, trying to get them to back off, but they were relentless. They shoved microphone after microphone into their faces, hollering questions anyone in their right mind would know Jon would never answer.

“Jon! Who is this mystery love of yours?”

“Is this your revenge on your wife for leaving your for Tuukka Rask?”

“How does Madison feel about your new girlfriend?”

“Come on Jon, give her a kiss!”

But when one reporter grabbed Jon’s coat, ripping it off Amerie before the lights flashed, Jon completely lost it. He ripped his coat back from the one exceptionally sleazy reporter, his eyes black with rage. He grabbed the man by the front of his shirt, getting in his face.

“If you ever even think about touching her again I will break every bone in your goddamn body.” With that he dropped the man, covering Amerie’s head one again as he hurried her to the car. And this time, nobody stopped them.

As he drove them home Amerie could practically see the steam coming out of his ears. His entire face was flushed and he was gripping the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles were white. “Jon.” She whispered, but it was like he was deaf until she reached over, setting her hand on his arm. She watched the tension melt away as he relaxed, pulling the car over and looking at her.

“I’m sorry.” He said quietly.

“You had every right to be upset-”

“No, I mean I’m sorry that you’re going to get painted in all the wring light because of what happened in my life that has nothing to do with you. I’m sorry you were exposed to those miserable excuses for human beings, and…” He stopped, pressing his lips together. “And I’m sorry I lost my temper. I never wanted you to see me like that. I just…” He looked over to her again. “I have this need to protect you Amerie. I can’t explain it.”

She turned bright red as he sighed, about to pull back onto the road when her hand on his arm stopped him. He turned to her just in time for her to softly press her lips to hers. As she pulled back, his heart was racing, his head was spinning, and he never wanted it to end. She opened her mouth to say something, but Jon cut her off by shooting forward for another kiss, cradling the back of her head and loving how her hair felt as it glided over his skin. When he pulled away he could see the starry look in her eyes and beamed.

“Well.” She murmured, smiling at him. “That was unexpected.” He smiled, pulling back into traffic without another word as they made their way home. As they pulled up to the house he got out first, all but running over to her side to open the door for her. She blushed, but smiled as he helped her out, keeping her hand in his as they made their way back down to the beach.

They kicked off their shoes and Jon rolled up his pants so they could wade in the water, looking up at the brilliant stars as they walked down the abandoned beach. She slowly, hesitantly, made her way closer and closer to him until they were walking hip to hip, but as she went to wrap her arm around Jon’s waist, he stopped. She turned to him, her eyes sad.

“Jon, is something wrong?” He bit his lip for a moment, keeping his eyes on his feet.

“Amerie I…” He sighed. “You have to understand here that I really like you. I want to date you and kiss you and take you out to dinner but…” He shook his head and Amerie, grabbed him, leading him over to a beached log where they both sat down. She took his hands in hers, trying to look into his eyes.

“Jon, you can talk to me.” She promised. “Whatever it is you can always talk to me.” Jon let out another shaky breath, knowing he was going to ruin everything if he said what was on his mind. But the thought of everyone forever knowing Amerie as his gold digger rebound was so much worse it made him sick. He had to protect her, even if it killed him on the inside.

“I think it’d be best if we just stayed friends.” He choked out. She looked at him like he’d just told her he’d killed her mother as she slowly blinked.

“What?”

“Look, Amerie, it’s not you I just… I can’t do this. I’m married.”

“You’re separated.” She corrected, looking at him.

“I don’t want to mess things up for Maddi.” He tried.

“Your daughter loves me.” He bit his lip, looking at her. Finally he took a deep breath.

“I don’t want you to leave me too.” He whispered. She smiled softly before wrapping her arms around him.

“I never will.” She whispered. As he smiled, gripping her tightly, Amerie wished that she could really mean it. She knew that, just like all the clients before him, once Jon was completely over Jaclyn and had found someone else, she was going to have to leave. She was going to have to pack her things and walk away from the single greatest man she’d ever met because that was her job. She came in, helped them heal, and then ran off. But as she looked into his warm eyes as he held her so perfectly, Amerie didn’t care. She had no idea how much time she had left, but she was going to cherish all of it.

As Amerie relaxed into Jon’s arms he smiled, kissing the top of her head. “Well um, now that that’s taken care of, there’s something I want to ask you.” She sat up, looking at him and Jon felt his heart thudding painfully against his ribs. “Amerie, will you be my girlfriend? Officially?” She turned scarlet before finally beaming.

“Yes. I will.” Jon couldn’t stop grinning as he leaned down, pressing his lips to hers ever so gently as the ocean sat before them. And in that one moment, Jon felt like he and Amerie were invincible.
♠ ♠ ♠
DOH.
So this is on a list of four stories I'm trying to finish ASAP
so updates should be pretty fast!
Thanks for reading

oxoxoxoxox
Ashlee