Status: A story I've been writing for a long time, still in the writing process.

Born Too Late

How it Began

Fast forward, throughout the day, I couldn't stop thinking about that voice in my head. “This is not your reality!” I had no idea where it was coming from, but I managed to make it to fourth period. Everyone was standing by the door waiting for the teacher to show up.

“Sorry I'm late I had to drop something off at the guidance office.” Miss Moore explained.

We all piled in and sat down. I sat at the back with Benji again.

“Do you want to get together after school?” I quietly asked Benji while the teacher was starting her lecture.

Benji looked over and replied, “Sure.”

I was unsure I should tell him what was going on. But, I was never good at keeping things bottled up. Maybe Benji could help me figure this all out. There has to be an explanation why I'm here and not in the year 2010. If one word got out in school, I would be shunted probably, made fun of, called the weird kid etcetera.

An announcement came on the intercom stating there was going to be a rooftop picture taken of the entire school down by the football field next Monday.

“Oh great.” I mumbled.

“Hopefully better than last years 1992!” The principal joked.

“I wonder what happened last year.” Benji responded.

Shit shit shit I thought to myself. There's no going back, its official I'm stuck here for who knows how long. This is going to be interesting. I continuously thought to myself.

“Are you okay?” Benji asked me while I was trying to keep my freak out on the DL.

“I'll tell you after class...” I trailed off.

I let out a big sigh, and accidentally said, “ahhhh fuck I'm doomed.” I quickly covered my mouth with embarrassment. But, I covered it up with saying, “ha those rooftop pictures...” The class laughed and gave me a minute of bold attention.

After the last bell had rung, Beni and I walked out together and made our way to the library where Joel was sitting.

“Hey Joel.” I greeted.

“Hey whats up?” He asked.

“Not too much just got out of class.” I answered.

“Long day.” Benji added.

The three of us walked out of the school library and outside along the sidewalk. I didn't know where to begin to start explaining my situation.

But, luckily, Benji asked. “So what's been bugging you?”

“I...I don't know if i should tell you this... as it might change the future, or the past.” I stammered.

Joel and Benji both looked at me with confusion.

“I know its confusing, but I can't just keep it in.” I continued trying to explain myself.

“Go on...” Joel said.

“This is all going to sound really weird, and please give me a chance to explain my reasoning’s.” I explained hoping for their full attention.

“My birth date is July 17th 1993.”

“That's the year now, when were you really born?” Joel asked starting to sound frustrated.

“I was born in Canada in the year 1993." I was being honest.

“Look, we're outta here, come on Joel we have better things to do.” Benji spat.

“Wait!” I asked.

As they both started to walk off. I yelled.

“Benji Levi Combs and Joel Reuben Combs!”

I also added, “March 11th 1979.” I knew I was starting to sound ridiculous.

Benji yelled back. “Stop being such a creep! Go home!”

My face fell. I was this close of giving up. I felt bad, but, I brought out the family issues. I was hesitant.

“It'll get better at home with your dad I promise!” I knew I was stepping into uncharted territory.

Benji and Joel both stopped, and sighed, then looked back around at me standing there alone on the sidewalk. Benji came stomping back.

“What did you say about our dad?”

“Look, I'm not trying to cause trouble, but you have to believe me, how else would I have known about you. I don't think the school records in the beginning of the school year would reveal any family problems." I stated trying to earn some respect.

“Josh, and Sarah are never going to leave your side.” I quietly added.

Joel noticed Benji listening to me, and decided to join the conversation again. I looked over at Joel and continued explaining.

“I can't tell you what you guys are going to become, but never give up, because thousands of people out there right now are by your side with everything you both do.” I stated proudly.

The twins both looked at each other, with what looked to me, was a little confidence in this situation. There was hope. I could see it. But, they were still skeptical.

“Prove it.” They both said.

“Prove you're from the future, there must be something.” Benji added.

“Okay fine." I bent down and put my back pack on the ground and unzipped it.

I pulled out my Ipod Touch. The only thing that had traveled with me back to the year 1993. I can't explain why, but I'm glad one thing has a connection. And maybe it has answers.

“Have you ever seen one of these?” I held up my IPod.

Benji and Joel scan their eyes down at the Ipod.

“Its got your music, camera, videos, pictures and internet all in one.” I press the menu button and it turns on and shows the date. “2010”

"But, where's the film...?" Joel asks with confusion.

“Does that clear it up for you guys?” I asked with hope.

Benji and Joel are starting to believe me.

“There must be some explanation; are you the only one?" Benji asked in thought.

"I can't answer that Benj, I think so. I woke up here alone. No one else has noticed. Everyone has been acting the same like nothing has happened. I really can't make this stuff up." I shared.

Benji and Joel are no longer angry or frustrated at me. They take a step back and relax.

“We haven't told anyone about what is going on at home, and its not always a good place to be. Its hard all the time. But, our mom, she understands.” Joel added.

Without thinking I hug Joel.

“Trust me when I say this, things are going to get better." I promised Joel. I took a step back and looked into Joel's eyes. I thought I noticed a tear. He covered it up pretty quickly.

It was a beginning of a lifetime friendship. I was doing something right and maybe my purpose in life was too make things better for people. And that's what I was going to do.

To make things right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Should I keep going with this? Thanks for reading!