Status: work in progress, comments appreciated!

My Guardian Angel

I'll save you

"So what's your guys' story?" The thin woman named Lori asked around the camp fire.

Merle and his brother Daryl exchanged a glance.

"We are on our way to Atlanta." Daryl replied. "We're uh.. trying to see if someone we know is still alive."

"Atlanta's overrun." Shane replied, putting another fork full of fish into his mouth. "Has been for weeks now."

"We know." Merle chuckled. "My baby brother is too damn stubborn fer his own good."
He slapped me hard on the back.

"Ain't'cha, Daryl?"

"..." His brother glared at him and continued to eat his meal.

"Who is it you're trying to save?" A blonde woman named Andrea asked.

"Daryl's little friend." Merle said smugly. "A little damsel in distress. It's quite adorable."

Daryl stood, setting his plate down on the ground and grabbing his crossbow.

"Thanks for the meal." He muttered, walking away towards the tent the brothers were sharing.
'Dumb ass didn't even have the smarts to bring two.' Daryl thought bitterly.

Merle followed behind him.

"C'mon Daryl. Stop acting like a PMSing bitch. I'm just foolin' around." Merle said, punching him lightly in the arm.
Daryl glared at him.

"Shut up Merle." He growled, getting into his sleeping bag and rolling over so he was facing the side of the tent instead of his brother.

Merle chuckled and sat down on his own sleeping bag.

"What are you goin' ta do if she is alive? Bring her with us?"
Daryl faced him.

"What else would I do?"

"You kiddin'?" Merle scoffed. "She's retarded!"

Daryl sat up and glared venomously at his older brother.

"She ain't retarded! She's got some issues is all." Daryl growled.

"She can't even tell you what color the sky is!" Merle laughed.

"Shut UP Merle. Or i'll leave ya here. I don't need ya to help me find her." He spit through clinched teeth. "Let the walkers have ya."

The older Dixon held his hands up in defense.

"woah woah little brother." Merle chuckled. "C'mon, you know I didn' mean nothin' by it."

"Whatever." Daryl muttered and fell into a fitful sleep.
~~~~~~~
"Daryl....." a voice moaned. "Daryl help me..."
Daryl tried to follow the voice but couldn't find where it was coming from.
"Elodie?" Daryl called. "Elodie where are you?"
He raced through the halls of the abandoned hospital.
"Daryl please.... help me..." Elodie called.
Daryl followed her soft voice to a padded cell. He opened the heavy door.
"Elod-" He was cut off at the sight before him.
Red. Red everywhere. Walkers; crowded the room. Silenced ones lay strewn in pieces all over the room. Unsilenced ones surrounded Elodie's small form. She was in a blood stained straight jacket on her knees. Walkers were just taking bites out of her pale white skin. Her bright grey-blue eyes were filled with agony. Her face was covered in blood, it dripped from her mouth as she moaned his name.
"Daryl....... please.... help..." she whimpered.
He fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face.
"Elodie... No..." he sobbed. He ran to her, shoving the walkers off her, crushing their skulls under his foot one by one.
She swayed slightly and started to fall. He caught her and cradled her small frame in his arms, sobbing.
"Elodie no please."
Her eyes met his.
"Daryl.... You could've....saved me....." she whispered, blood pouring from her mouth. "Why.... did you leave me...?"
Daryl watched as the life left her eyes, sobbing.
"No Elodie please! I'm sorry!" he cried, clutching her lifeless form.
~~~~~~~~
Daryl woke with a start, cold sweat dripping down his neck and back, making his tshirt cling to his chest. He was panting.

"Bout time you woke up little brother." Merle said, peaking into the tent. "You were scarin' the rest of the camp with yer screamin'. Thought walkers were attackin'"
He closed the tent and walked off.
Daryl flopped back onto his pillow, staring at the ceiling of the tent.
When he regained control of his composure, he changed and stepped outside the tent.
According to the sun, it was a little past noon. He made his way over to where breakfast/lunch was being served. He was greeted by carol's kind smile.

"Morning Daryl." she said.
"Mornin'" He mumbled back, taking the plate of left over fish from last night from her. "Thanks."

She smiled again and he walked over to sit by Merle.

"What were ya dreamin' 'bout?" Merle asked, taking a bite of what looked like a squirrel. "Musta been bad for you to be howlin' the way you were."

"It don't matter. We need to get goin'" the younger Dixon replied. "I want to get back on the road."

"ohhhhh. So it was about her wasn't it?" Merle chuckled. "You havin' a wet dream baby brother? eh?"

Daryl sent his brother a piercing glare before going back to the tent and grabbing the map from his pack. He examined it, trying to find the quickest route to her. About an hour later, Merle stepped into the tent.

"Alright, When we leavin'?" he asked, sitting on his sleeping bag.

"If we leave tomorrow mornin' we should get to Peachford by late afternoon." Daryl replied, folding the map back up.

"Alright sounds good." Merle nodded, laying back on his sleeping bag.

Daryl did the same, closing his eyes and thinking about her. How she was the last time he visited her.

~~~~~~~

"Daryl, you're so silly." Elodie giggled, earning a grin from the redneck sitting across from her in the cafeteria.

"nah." Daryl said. "Just a smart ass."

"Excuse me, sir. Please watch your language." a nurse scolded.

"Yes ma'am." Daryl replied.

Elodie giggled.

"Ooooohh. Daryl got in trouble." She teased.

He smirked in return.

"S'not some big surprise." he said, finishing up his green beans.

He watched her play with her mashed potatoes absently, starting out the window. He had lost her once again. He didn't mind though. Soon enough she'd come back to him. He sipped his water and waited. Sure enough she blinked and turned back to him, eyes searching, comprehending. She smiled her cute little smile and he knew she had just remember he was there. He smiled back and stood.

"You done?" He asked, reaching for her plate.

She nodded and got up with him, following him to the trash cans and then down the hallway to the recreation area where they sat at a table with stacks of paper and all sorts of colorful writing utensils. She grabbed a piece of paper and her favorite colored marker: purple. She started to draw, losing herself once again in her world. Daryl just sat near by, watching her. She was so beautiful. Her red her was short, just below her shoulders. The hospital required it, saying some patients had harmed themselves with their own hair in the past. Her slim shoulders were bare, Showing the splatter paint of freckles she had. She was wearing a tank top that he had brought from her house, paired with some white pj pants. She wore no shoes, as usual. He thought she was perfect. Sure she was a little spacey and was more of a 13 year old then an 18 year old but he didn't mind. It was cute.

"Look!" she said, holding up her drawing.

It was of two stick figures; one tall with short hair and one short and longer hair. They were holding hands and smiling. Toward the bottom in child-like hand writing read: Together we can do anything. I love you Daryl. -Elodie. He smiled and took it.

"wow, El. Looks great." he replied.

"It's for you." she stated, grinning from ear to ear.

"awww, thanks El." he said, folding it up and slipping it in his wallet. "I'll keep it in here, always."

She grinned, her cheeks turning a light red. He ruffled her hair.

"Excuse me, Daryl. I'm sorry but visiting hours are over." Elodie's nurse, Tori stated.

He nodded.
"Alright. Hey, I'll come visit again soon okay?" he said to the small girl.

She smiled and nodded, hugging him tightly.

"Okay! Bye Daryl." she replied, waving as she was escorted by her nurse to her room.

He waved back and walked out of the clinic.
~~~~~

Daryl woke up early that next morning and stepped out of the tent. He ate breakfast with the group, deciding to tell them they were leaving.

"Daryl, we talked last night as a group and decided that we will accompany you on your journey. We took a vote and Shane, T-Dog, Andrea and I will go with you and Merle." Rick said, before Daryl could open his mouth

Daryl was taken aback.

"U-uh... Thanks.... That'd be great." he repllied, finishing his food.

Rick nodded. "when were you planning on leaving?"

"'bout now's good." he said, looking at the sun. They'd have at least 8 hours of sunlight if they left soon.

"Alright. We'll get packed and leave when you're ready." Rick stated, standing.

Daryl nodded and went back to his tent to wake Merle and get packed up.

About twenty minutes later everyone who was going was packed up and ready to go.

Daryl looked at his group and nodded to Rick before starting out on the path he had chosen.
'Don't worry El. I'm comin' for ya.' He thought, a heavy knot of worry tight in his chest.

END
♠ ♠ ♠
First TWD fan fiction! Hope everyone likes! Comments greatly appreciated!