On My Own

A nice day with a friend

It has been a week since the Irene phone incident and now I was at the supermarket getting all the food I need for the week, and as I was there I bumped into John;
“Well hello stranger”
“Hello Beth, you doing your weekly shop two?”
“I am, how have you been I haven’t really spoken to you lately?”
“I have been good, very busy with cases to solve, what about you?”
“Me, not much, just sitting at home watching TV, no one seems to have a job for me”
“Oh that’s a shame, have you heard from your brother at all?”
“No I haven’t, he does this sometimes when he gets really busy and doesn’t need my help he just disappears and then I hear from him months later, he tells me what kept him away and all is normally fine”
“So it’s not the first time he’s done this?”
“Unfortunately not, but I’m used to it now, how’s Sherlock?”
“He’s the same old Sherlock you know, can I ask you something?”
“Of course”
“Do you love him?”
“What.....no”
“Come on Beth, I’m not stupid, I see the way you look at him”
“Oh John am I really that obvious?”
“Afraid so, it’s a good job that he cannot see it or what happened to Molly might happen to you, I know this is gonna sound harsh, but I’m only saying this as a friend and to help you, but you know he won’t feel the same way as he loves his work too much”
“Yeah I know John, I have tried to get over him, but I cannot and every time he talks to me it’s like that Every word that he says is a dagger in me, in my life there has been no one like him anywhere, well anywhere where he is, and if he asked I’d be his.”
“I’m so sorry Beth”
“It’s fine John I know that he is never mine to have or loose, so why regret what could not be, and loving words he’ll never say to me, and if he does they’ll never be for me, my heart is full of love and he will never fill this way.”
“Well how about once we’ve finished here, we go back, unpack, and then I’ll take you out for dinner and we can forget about everything and just have a nice, evening with no dramas?”
“That sounds lovely, let’s do it”
And we had finished shopping, unpacked, got ready, and went out for dinner and had a great time chatting about stupid things and I have come to love John so much, he is like another brother to me, I’m so glad we are best friends.