Status: Alive and kicking.

Without Warning

What fangs you have.

It wasn't going to be that hard for Everly to win over John. In fact, she was confident in her ability to do so. She had known him for so long she lost count of the years so the trust was already in place. Sure, they weren't 'tell all your secrets' friends, but that was a good thing otherwise she would feel bad about the ordeal. Then again, he had hurt Pat willingly and that didn't settle well with her. If anything she was very protective of people she loved and Pat she loved. Who couldn't? He was a good hearted person and there were so few of those now they needed to be protected.

"John Oh." She spoke falling beside the boy onto the black couch stuck in the back lounge as the bus started to move.

"Everly." The boy spoke in his rugged voice as he looked up from his cell phone.

A grin hit her lips which he quickly returned along with a small laugh, "What?"

"Nothing. Excited to spend 3 months with me?" She asked propping her feet up on the coffee table causing him to scoff, "Are you excited to spend 3 months with me?"

"Ecstatic."

"Something makes me think you're lying."

"Ah well, guess you'll never know."

John chuckled, "Oh I love how you never change."

"Yeah, wish I could say the same to you."

His green eyes met hers and she almost questioned if she had hurt him just by his demeanor, but he quickly recovered, "Why do you say that?"

She shrugged and he waited for a real response which he shouldn't have been surprise of not receiving. He did know her pretty well.

"It really isn't like that..."

"I didn't say anything."

John sighed and ran his hands through his messy hair, "I know, you know. I'm not stupid."

"Then you know, I don't care."

John rolled his eyes, "Yeah, well everyone else does."

"Have you apologized?"

"I have nothing to apologize for."

"Really John?" She questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"I was drunk. It wasn't like I intentionally went after her!"

"You sound like a tool."

John groaned, "I don't expect you to understand. I don't expect anyone to understand. If she wanted Pat though she would have been with him. If anything I helped him out."

"Sadly, I believe you really look at it that way, but John, he's one of your best friends and you hurt him whether you meant to or not. You need to apologize. He would never hurt you."

John ran his hand down his face as her words resignated in his head. He knew she was right, it was just easier said than done.

"He doesn't want to hear it, so why bother?"

"So at least you could say you tried."

His eyes met hers and the pair seemed to stare at each other for several seconds before he spoke softly, "I'm not doing it, Everly. I appreciate your insight and the fact that you didn't attack me over it, but it isn't going to happen. It's just not me."

"It use to be."

John sighed and relaxed his head on the couch, "I don't know what version of me you have in your head still, but it isn't the right one."

"You're right. Maybe I'll forever have that 18 year old, sarcastic, sweet kid in my head."

"People grow up." He grumbled and she shook her head, causing her dark hair to fall into her face, "We only change what we want to change."

"Maybe I wanted to change. Maybe I was sick of being ran over all the time." John said seriously, his green eyes losing their playful exterior.

"No one has ever ran over you."

"There's a lot about me you don't know, Evie." He whispered, using the nick name that he chose for her years ago that really wasn't even a part of her name.

She immediately sighed as the blonde boy left the room. Maybe this wouldn't be as easy as she first assumed. There had to be a way to get him to open up. Then again, maybe she didn't know him as well as she thought.

The road trip to the first destination was only about 5 hours which was not as long as Everly assumed some of them were bound to be. That's one thing she dreaded. As she stepped off the bus the bright sunlight made her squint and she slid her shades on as she sprinted over to Kennedy who was on his phone like usual.

"Where's Patrick?" She asked, the boy had fled from the bus as soon as the door had opened. If she was ready to get off she knew he was!

"Probably running around just for the hell of it." Garrett chuckled as he looked around at the building they would be playing in.

"Ugh! I have got to keep up with him better! He's the fun one!"

Garrett glared at her from what she called his hipster glasses and she flashed him a sweet smile, "I love you?"

"It's been 1 day and you've managed to insult me more times than should be allowed."

"Let's hang out Gar bear!" She said loudly, throwing her arm around his shoulders as John walked over slowly from the bus. He clearly did not care for the hot weather by the face he was making.

Garrett groaned, "Someone find Pat for her please!"

John chuckled sliding a cigarette in between his lips and lighting it up.

"Come on." John mumbled through his pierced lips before grabbing up her hand.

Garrett thanked John and John nodded before pulling the girl towards the venue.

"All of you suck." She grumbled and John let out a laugh as he released her hand and pulled the cigarette from his mouth, "Garrett's boring."

"And you're not?"

"Nope, which is why I'm labeled the asshole." He stated stepping into the air conditioned venue, making Everly shiver.

"Man whore." She corrected and he shot her a look, "Oh come on Evie, you know that isn't true."

A grin hit her lips and he chuckled as he focused back on the long hallway before him. He felt comfortable with her. He didn't know if it was because she didn't judge him or because she listened. Either way, he enjoyed it.

"Where have you been lately?" He asked and she glanced over at him, "What do you mean?"

"It's been weeks since I've seen you."

It was now Everly's turn to feel uncomfortable. She fiddled with her hands as she focused on walking, "Just busy."

"Just busy, huh?"

She chuckled, "I guess we all have our secrets, O'Callaghan."

John's eyes met hers, "Yeah, I guess we do..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, an update full of secrets! Updates will be more frequent once I finish my Vic Fuentes story which will be this week. :)

Thanks for everyone who has subscribed!