Status: Alive and kicking.

Without Warning

Now all you see is red.

Everly really was a bit on edge after her and John's innocent kiss Even if the pair hadn't kissed again and days (two to be exact) had passed since it took place, she couldn't help but feel uneasy around him. Then again, she assumed that could be the guilt eating away at her.

"Evie." John spoke, his rugged voice making her shiver. The dark haired girl spun around on her heels to see him walking slowly towards her.

"Yes, O'Callaghan?"

The blonde boy smiled as he shoved his hands in his pockets. He didn't think things were weird between them, but she had spent more time with everyone besides him the past 2 days and he would be lying if he said it didn't bother him.

"Can we talk?"

"We can."

He chuckled and she stared at him nervously. She never knew what was going to come out of his mouth and that always nerved her.

"Are you avoiding me?"

"What? Does it seem like I am?" She questioned and he shrugged, "I really don't know. Ever since the night at the hotel you've been attached to Garrett."

She grinned, her inner wit finding it's way back, "So? Jealous?"

John scoffed, "You wish. Just making sure you weren't mad at me or something. You know how often that happens around here and yet I'm the last to find out."

"If I was mad at you. Trust me, I'd let you know."

"Mhm. I'm sure."

She grinned and grabbed his hand, "Come on, let's find everyone so we can get lunch."

John didn't bother to reply, just allowed her to take him into the venue they would be playing at in a few hours. He wasn't certain why he was the way he was with her, it just happened and yet he didn't find himself fighting it.

"Did you sleep last night?" She asked as John yawned covering his mouth with his free hand.

"Not much. I just always have a lot on my mind. Hard to sleep."

"Maybe it's the bunks, you slept fine at the hotel." She stated and John glanced over at her as she stared absentmindingly down the hall they were occupying.

"Maybe..." He mumbled as they entered the dressing room where all the guys lounged about.

"Can we get food now?!" Pat shouted throwing up his hands and Everly chuckled, "Let's feed the monster before it gets ugly."

Pat nodded with a stern look and the guys laughed as they filed out of the room. Kennedy pulled Everly back as they walked outside and a groan immediately left her lips.

"What now?"

"Nothing, just seeing how it's going. You don't tell me things."

Everly crossed her arms uncomfortably. She didn't tell him about their kiss and she wasn't planning on doing so.

"It's fine."

"And John?"

"He's fine I assume."

"Maybe you should spend less time with Garrett..."

"Maybe, Kennedy, you need to shut up and let me do what I need to do." She warned glaring at him as they headed down the sidewalk.

Kennedy rolled his eyes, "I'm just saying..."

"And I'm just saying, I don't tell you how to play guitar, you don't tell me how to do this, got it?"

"Ok, ok. I got it. Damn."

Everly rolled her eyes and picked up the pace of her walking in order to in fact get by Garrett.

"Everly." Garrett spoke, a grin hitting his lips and she laughed as she elbowed him, "Garrett."

Garrett laughed and threw his arm around her shoulders, "Sibling fight?"

"Hardly. He just annoys me sometimes."

"Ah yes. Sibling fight indeed."

She glared at him and he chuckled, "Kidding. Jeez. Lighten up. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just have a lot on my mind."

"Mhm. John Oh. I see."

"Garrett, notice how close we are..." She warned and he shrugged, "Just calling it like I see."

"Yeah? Well Kennedy said the same thing, but that I hang out with you too much, so..."

"What? No you don't. Well, more then them, but come on, what else are you suppose to do?!"

Everly giggled, "Whoa, settle down. I think he's just saying I'm suppose to be spending time with John more. You know..."

"Oh yes. The mission."

"Yeah..."

Garrett glanced at her before speaking, "You know, you can talk to me right? Like, I won't go back and say anything to anyone..."

"I know..." She whispered and he pulled her into his side, "Do you like him?"

"No, I just, maybe I'm not as..."

"Heartless? Vendictive? As we all think?" Garrett cut her off and she chuckled, "Yeah..."

"I know you aren't, Ev. Truly. If you weren't feeling guilty about it, I would be worried, but I mean it when I say if you are having doubts or truly feel wrong about it, tell me and I'll put an end to it. Fuck Kennedy."

She grinned throwing her arms around him from the side as they stopped at a crosswalk.

"Thank you Gar bear."

He chuckled kissing her head, "No problem."

John watched the two from where he stood. He couldn't help this feeling of jealousy that seemed to rise into his chest. Did he even have a reason to feel it was the question...

"Do you like my sister?" Kennedy asked, startling the boy. John looked over at him as they began to walk across the street. He couldn't tell if this was some sort of test or not.

"Dude of course. She's awesome." John said and Kennedy rolled his eyes, "Not what I meant."

"Well, Ken, what did you mean?"

"I think you like her is what I mean. And I don't mean in a friend way."

John laughed, "Does it matter?"

"Kind of. Yeah."

"I don't like her, Kennedy. As much as everyone assumes I like every girl I come in contact with."

Kennedy frowned not sure if his words were sincere or not.

"Well you spend a lot of time with her."

"Yeah, I do because she apparently is the only person here on my side." John stated before stepping into the restaurant they had stumbled upon. He slid into a seat beside Everly who gave him a grin.

"You ok?" She asked seriously and he nodded, "Fine."

"Liar." She sang out and he laughed, "Well, what do you want me to say?"

"The truth."

"I really don't know how I feel at the moment."

"Ok." She stated giving his hand a squeeze before picking up the menu. John sighed as he tried to focus, although he couldn't stop looking over at the girl beside him.

The group ate and made their way back to the venue right on time to set up. Everly pulled up a chair a bit off from the side of the stage as the boys set up and people started filing into the room.

She watched intently, her eyes mainly on John. She just wanted so badly to figure him out. Why was it so hard?

She sighed and glanced down at her phone, going back to a text she was sending to her friend at home.

"Evie?" She heard and immediately looked up to see John kneeling in front of her in order to be eye level with her. Her breathing caught in her throat and he continued, "I promise I'll talk to you tonight, ok?"

She managed to nod and he grinned, brushing her hair behind her ear. Her eyes nervously met his and he leaned closer to her, "Can I kiss you again?"

She bit her bottom lip before his hand reached her cheek.

"Yeah..." She whispered and he ever so gently touched his lips to hers causing butterflies to errupt in her stomach. This was so bad...

"I guess I shouldn't do this. I mean, Garrett will probably get mad." He breathed pecking her lips a few more times.

"What? Why?" She questioned and he shrugged, "I just thought you two, I dunno, liked each other."

"Me and Garrett? Definitely not."

"You spend a lot of time together."

"I spend a lot of time with you as well."

"Yeah, and you're kissing me in that time so..." He responded with a smirk.

Everly rolled her eyes, "I don't go around kissing every boy I know, O'Callaghan."

"I know you don't. Just wanted to make sure." He stated, his hands on her waist, not really worried about his jeans getting dirty from where he sat on his knees.

"Why?" She challenged and he pulled her in, "Because, Evie. I want to be the only boy you kiss." He whispered, unsure where the honesty was coming from, but hell he liked it.

"You are..."

"I'm really glad to hear that."

"Shows about to start." She managed to get out and he nodded before kissing her cheek, "I know."

He grinned before moving to his feet and she stared up at him as he brushed off his jeans. She glanced behind him to see Kennedy clearly watching it all happen and the guilt came back at full force.

Was it wrong that she found herself liking John like she knew she shouldn't?

Everly watched the show in a bit of a daze as she tried to sort out her feelings for John. She couldn't get past them for some reason as much as she wanted to. Although she knew if Kennedy found out he would murder her.

Once the show ended, Everly took it upon herself to leave before the others. She needed some fresh air and the walk to the bus would help her clear her head.

She was glad no one really knew who she was. A few hardcore fans would stop and ask her occasionally but other than that she was mostly left alone which she was thankful for. Especially on nights like this. She walked slowly to the bus, passing group of girls who waited for the guys.

Once at the bus, she reached for the door, a groan leaving her lips once she realized it was locked. She sighed, leaning against the door realizing she had no choice but to wait on them.

She sat on the sidewalk, waiting. She knew that could be up to an hour so she mine as well get comfortable. Her thoughts immediately went back to John. She had to some way get over this crush. That's all she was certain it was. She needed to push through and just do what she was suppoe to do. How hard could that be?

"Why are you sitting on the ground?" She heard and she looked up to see no other but the boy consuming her thoughts.

"The bus is locked."

John nodded before sitting beside her on the ground like it was normal.

She glanced over at him as he messed with the hole in the knee of his jeans.

"Shouldn't you be meeting with fans?"

"I was worried about you. You usually stay."

"I'm fine. Just tired." She lied a bit and his eyes met hers.

"I just can't read you, Everly and it stresses me out."

"How so?"

"Because, I never know what you're thinking."

"Back at you."

He chuckled as he ran his hands through his hair, "Want to know what I'm thinking?" He finally asked, leaning closer to her and she managed to nod slowly.

"I think you are the most beautiful girl I know, Everly and you're sweet and funny and I..." He spoke, coming to a stop as he moved away from her.

"You what?" She challenged and he grinned with a shrug.

"John."

"What? You already know I like you. Why do I need to tell you again?"

"I don't recall you ever telling me that."

"I assumed it was understood after I kissed you, darlin'." He stated, his crooked grin hitting his lips causing her to shiver.

"Not really..."

John rolled his eyes, "Well, I like you. There."

"So romantic."

He chuckled, "Not my specialty."

She grinned and he leaned into her, "Is it ok if I like you?" He whispered, bringing his hand to her hair.

She managed to nod and he kissed over her face before landing on her lips.

This was not going to end well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh John...poor thing.

Thanks for commenting;
Khairena
WetheCATHLYN
Everdeen
Crossed out name.
Kora1234
EdieMariee
Sammy_Wessen
:)