Status: Share if you enjoy :)

Disaster's Aid

Hurricane

I had them. Both of them, were soaked through with thoughts of me. I knew they thought I was the one to be with, the one to marry.

But I hadn't meant anything by it, not at first. I smiled and fluttered my eyes to see their reactions, I knew it was flirtatious, but were they so silly?

Yes. They believe I wanted to marry them. Suitor 1 and Suitor 2, as my friend Arfsy so lovingly calls them, are lost in the lightening of my eyes, the soft rumble of my voice, they are standing in the rain waiting for my choice.

Mama does not know. Just Arfsy and the two suitors. Suiter 2 is meeting me at eight and Suiter 1 at eleven at the restaurant on King's street.

The door bell rings, I pin my scarf around my head with a crystal flower pin.

"Hi Aunty, I'm here to pick up Sara." Arfsy says.

"Assalamualaikum Arfsy, come in and I'll call her." Mama says.

Mama reties her apron and turns towards the stairs. Her long black curls are clipped with a flower clip and her bright brown eyes watch me fiddle with my second shoe strap.

I rush down the stairs and my heels click on the steps and I wrap my arms around Arfsy.

"You're here! Let's go before we miss our reservation!" I wave to Mama and shut the door.

Arfsy slides into her emerald Mazda and I rest into the passenger seat.

"Seriously, you could be a little more excited." Arfsy winks at me.

Arfsy pulls out of the driveway and the blocks of brick bungalows blaze by as she speeds towards a green light.

I take a deep breath. The boys are waiting. I push at Arfsy's arm and begin to giggle.

Arfsy's eyes widen as she clenches the steering away from the oncoming traffic.

We gasp. Arfsy pulls to a stop on a red light and glances at me.

"Sara!"

"I'm so sorry! Are you okay?"

Arfsy takes a deep calming breath.

"Let's get to dinner, you better have a good decision to make up for this."

"I promise I do." Arfsy laughs and drives on. Our thoughts glide along the concrete road, the white crystal sidewalks and off the navy skies that cover the horizons.

Arfsy parks at Chez Den and we strut from her car to the doors. The restaurant doors open and a middle aged couple pulls their stroller out the door and onto the wheel chair ramp. Mo holds the door and the lady gives him a smile as he exits. Shahid strides out behind him and they take in the parking lot and watch us approach.

We meet them at the end of the ramp and the couple waves as they turn out of the parking lot.

"Hey guys." I breathe.

"Sara, what's up with you?" Mo sputters. "You asked us both out here, are you serious?"

Shahid stares, his eyes red. His face disbelieving.

"But I told you, I told you someone else wanted to marry me too." I breathe.

"Cut the excuses Sara. You called us both here on the same day. I can't believe this." He holds his hands to his head and pulls his fingers through his hair.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I meet Mo's eyes and pull my hands up to reach his shoulders. He steps back.

"Don't even touch me Sara. You know why your messed up plans didn't work? Shahid came early to propose, so don't even pretend not to know."

Shahid stares into the ground near my heels.

"Shahid." I turn to reach for his hand and he swerves towards the parking lot. "Shahid!"

Mo glances at me. His eyes fog over as he stares at my hijab. He blinks and his eyes clear. He walks to his car with hunched shoulders and the tears on his face roll down.

The storm is over and I'm drenched.

I take a step back and Arfsy holds my shoulders tight.

My breath is hollow, shallow, barren and short.

Arfsy takes me inside and seats me at the reserved table. She walks to the counter and cancels the other timing and talks to the waiter. Her purple silk top and black skinny jeans match the tables near the counter.

My hand holds my head as I watch her. Arfsy rests beside me and takes my hand.

"It's okay Sara, everything will be fine. I'll talk to your mom again, maybe my mom can talk to yours too and you won't have to leave."

"Arfsy...Arfsy. No one will want me now ." My eyes burn and my arms burn as goosebumps flow to my shoulders and my heart burns because the storm is over.

Arfsy drives me home. At the door she hugs me tightly. The sparkles of her top glint off the orange bricks of my house. Bright orange flames simmer to ashes in my mind. My beautiful plan fades like glitter no longer shines without light.

I rub my ringless fingers. Empty for once because of the potential of today.

"I'll call you tomorrow." She says and leaves.

The wispy grey clouds dance slowly around the moon and the stars are dim in it's brightness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please leave comments on your thoughts.

Also, the coming chapters are a lot more interesting. ;)