Status: Share if you enjoy :)

Disaster's Aid

Moto

I feel kind of guilty admitting to it, but Tariq and I eat a lot.

I never had to do so much grocery shopping with just Mama, Abou and I. Well, I normally didn't help much then anyways. But it's a nice change to know where my food is coming from and making it with Tariq. He knows a lot of recipes. He's even trying to garden tomatoes and lettuce into the backyard. Granted Mama had started before we left to Pakistan, so they need a lot of tending to, but at least they have already started growing.

He looked so cute wearing Abou's gardening gloves with the satchel to hold all his tools. It barely fit over his shoulder because of his muscular figure. I wish I had my phone, but I knew if I snapped a picture he might delete it. My memory will have to suffice.

I roam the grocery aisles trying to guess what Tariq will like. I've already learned he does like cereal. So I have packed a couple boxes. He loves spices. So I've picked up some green chilis. And if everything can be a side dish to yogurt, he will live his days happily. Although I have to admit, yogurt on rice tastes fantastic.

We're such motos ("fatties" in Urdu).

It's weird to think I'm shopping for two. Well, I've always shopped for myself. But this shopping for my husband thing, that's new.

I pick some apples and head to the check out.

I pack the bags into my silver Mazda and shut the trunk and move the trolly towards the store.

"Sara!" Hands grab my arms and my breathing hikes.

I turn around and am squished into Arfsy's arms.

"Girl, is that really you? Did they finally let you go? How are you?" I hug Arfsy back. The familiar squeeze of her hugs makes me smile.

"Arfsy, I'm fine, what are you doing here?" Arfsy raises a finely done brow.

"Excuse you, girl friend! What are you doing here? You return to the country and I don't even get a text?"

"I'm sorry Arfsy, I've just been really busy."

"Sara you haven't called me in like a month. You know, I've been freaking out about you."

What am I supposed to say? I truly haven't kept in touch with her at all. With everything rushing past me, from my life changing so quickly, I left her behind, I forgot about her again.

"I-" I adjust my scarf.

"Forget about it. I'm so glad you're back! We have to catch up!" Arfsy squeezes me into another hug and I can feel my back stretch. I definitely won't need a back massage any time soon.

"Yeah, let's meet sometime." Arfsy turns back and I see her little brother Saad waiting at her car glancing at us. He waves. I wave back and grin.

"I have to go home because we're having Saad's birthday party tomorrow, but I'll come over tonight and we are going to talk. Okay Sara?" Arfsy's hazel contacts mesmerize me for a moment and I nod.

She catches me staring and winks.

"See you later Sari!" She jogs back to her car and waves with her heels clacking on the pavement.

I take a deep breath. Feeling the weights of the past two months crumbing off my shoulders.

I drive to the halal meat store and wait in a line and buy five pounds of chicken and the butcher cuts and skins the pieces and I pay and pack the bag on top of my apples. Tariq wants to teach me how to make butter chicken.

I slide into the driver's seat and check my list on my phone. I have two messages waiting.

Party stuff is dn. Im cming over now.

Bringing drumsticks, forgot Saad was allergic! :P -A

I pull on my seat belt and start driving towards my house.

I park in the drive way and see Arfsy's empty car on the side of the road.

I stride into my unlocked house and drop the groceries onto the table.

"Arfsy! Assalamualaikum. Anyone home?" I say and look around to the glass doors to see the backyard empty.

"Living room!" Arfsy demands.

I sleuth to the living room, glancing around to see Tariq. Expecting to see him everywhere.

Arfsy has her feet resting on the couch and she's eating an ice cream cone. She tosses one to me and grins.

"Sara, guess what?" Arfsy's eyes twinkle and I plop into the sofa facing her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Six chapters in two days, dude...that's just cray.. And this next chapter coming up in a minute.