Status: Share if you enjoy :)

Disaster's Aid

Tsunami

Mama rests her head on my shoulder and Abou returns from the bathroom. He stoops into the seat next to her stretching his navy sweater to zip it up. Flying always makes them lethargic.

The small window displays the purple of sunrise and the higher the sun rises as the orange waves beneath it the stronger my heart shrivels to think this is my last glance at freedom.

But what is the point of freedom now? Mama and Abou already know about Mo and Shahid. Everyone notices a storm, everyone spreads the news of survivors, that's the way life is. For some reason I do not feel I will survive this, this disaster I bring along with me doesn't seem as strong anymore and I feel I won't be able to get my way.

Mama's awake. She's holding Abou's hand and whispering Quran. She's always reading Quran. She thinks I'm possessed probably, the way she keeps blowing on me after she prays.

She turns and breathes on me.

It's not really that bad I guess, but she over-dramatizes things sometimes. What's really annoying is that after I saw Arfsy the next day of my failed proposal Mama found out everything and then Abou heard everything from Mo's dad because it turns out they work together and after they revealed my secret to me we started planning and arranging and packing and we were so busy I didn't get to see Arfsy anymore. Which just sucks. I won't even get to see her unless she flies over to Pakistan to meet me and I know she has an oath to never get on a plane again after she had nightmares the first time.

The seat belt light turns on.

A less annoying thing is that they cannot technically get me married without my consent. That's not how Islam works, the girl has to agree, and since I don't agree, no Muslim family in their right state of imaan would agree to marry me! Since my parents would never get me married to people who aren't religious, I just have to get the aunty and uncle to understand I don't want to get married. But then again, I did agree to this trip a year ago after university finished, and I can't say I didn't know that marriage was their plan.

I slam my arms over my eyes and rest back on the seat. My breathing shallow. The rushes of thought flowing over me and snatching my breath.

Ugh. What's going to happen to me?