Status: Share if you enjoy :)

Disaster's Aid

Hypocrite.

"He asked you outside? To come outside?"

"Like out, Tariq, like, like, on a date. But don't worry, of course I said no." I quickly say.

Tariq sighs.

"Sara, that's not what I'm worried about. Are you okay? You're so worried about everyone around you these days. That's good Sara, and I admire your heart. But also I'm worried when you keep asking me about counter-arguments to the Bible."

"But shouldn't I know that?"

"See Sara, there's a time and a place. It's important to know why we follow the Quran, but you can't fixate yourself on something so specific until you know the basics of Islam first."

"But I do know, we follow the Quran and we don't follow the Bible because it's wrong."

"Sara, you can't just go around saying that. We believe in all the original books in their original forms, even the Bible. That means that you need to read the Quran because it has everything that we need to know from the previous books."

"Read the Quran?"

"Yes Sara, just read it. In a language you understand. Get a translation and anything you don't understand just ask me. Or ask the imam or women at the musjid if you want to know something."

"Won't they get annoyed at me though?"

Tariq laughs.

"Sara, the musjid is the exact place that anyone should be able to go no matter their religion to be able to ask questions about Islam, to know about the truth. Of course you can ask! Now please remember not to worry too much about arguing whether something is right and wrong. Leave that to scholars, because they spent their lives understanding. People like us, that are just learning, need to focus on understanding the basics. We should perfect out prayer, learn how to read the Quran and beautify it's recitation, learn Arabic so we can read the Quran fully and understand it and we should perfect our character."

"Okay I understand."

I try to imagine Tariq's smile.

"Okay good. Sara, part of good character is that you don't go around assuming everyone is wrong. You give people excuses. 70 excuses for any one bad thing you think of them." His deep voice says in a soothing hum.

"I know, I know, but Tariq they are wrong. They aren't even Muslim. There is this guy and girl at my work that are dating. And actually that guy is Muslim. Like that's wrong. Really wrong."

"Work, when did you start work?"

I was hiding it.

"I...I started two weeks ago, and I am trying to keep busy. That's where I've met all these people. I'm so sorry Tariq that I didn't say so."

Oh Allah...did I forget something important? Is it haram for women to work? Will I have to quit?

"Sara, you can work. That's fine. The Prophet Muhammad's wife Khadaeejah was a business woman herself. Islam doesn't say you can't work. I just want you to know, you don't have to. Islam says you don't have to work and that I have to take care of you. So if you need anything at all I will try my best to provide it. I have enough resources to take care of you. But work if you like it, I don't want you to feel limited in any way. For women, anything they earn is their's entirely. So even if you want to get me something you can use my money, okay?"

Tears brim my eyes. I hiccup.

"Sara? Are you alright?" Tariq breathes into the phone.

"I...I just love you so much. Thank you."

Tariq laughs.

"I love you too Sharu. And don't worry so much about whose following Islam and whose not, you try your best okay? Allah is the only one who knows their hearts and who can judge them. So you can pray for the Muslims and you can be your best. By being the best character you are setting a good example for others to follow. And being judgmental and speaking without enough knowledge are things we should avoid, okay?"

I wipe my tears with my sleeve and sniffle.

"Okay, but does that mean I shouldn't say anything?"

"You can say the good things you are sure of. Like you can say that it is good for us to be patient. And that is good for us to care for our parents. And it is good for us to pray. And it is good for us to not dwell on sad things."

"It's hard not to dwell Tariq, I keep thinking about all the hypocrisy there is and all the things you told me are so true, but no one knows about them."

Like how stupid I've been before. Like how I never tried to reflect before. Like how I was guided out of the dark, and they are still stuck.

"Sara it's good to think about the new things that you learn and reflect on, but don't go too extreme on your thoughts. Islam means peace. It is to give you peace of mind. Dwelling gets you into despair, and despair is disbelief in Allah, Allah's mercy."

"B-but I get sad so much, especially when you're not around and Mama and Abou aren't either. Tariq, I cry too much."

I feel my emotions pop.

For some time Tariq doesn't respond. My heart squeezes as I wait.

"Listen Sara, when you cry, it means there is imaan in your heart, it means you have faith. So whenever you cry it is the best time to pray. So pray to Allah for all the things that are bothering you."

I stare at the pillow on my bed.

"Sara?" Tariq says.

"Yeah?" I breath into the phone.

"Just please remember that Islam is about moderation, no extremes. It's good to strive for perfection in things we can control, like our prayer and worship and our character. But don't dwell on what we can't change in each other. Just like we don't like being told what to do, neither do others. But we like to copy and emulate those people that we see as great characters. So continue to be that great woman I know you are. Also, know that Allah does not burden a soul more than it can bear. So keep striving. I'll see you soon and speak to you more. Don't be too sad, okay, love?"

I giggle lightly.

"Okay love."

"I'm going to go now, you pray Isha and get a good rest. Assalamualaikum."

"Walaikumalaiksalam." I turn off the phone and put it to my heart and smile.

He's so cute.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoooooooooooooooooooooooooughts? :)