Status: Share if you enjoy :)

Disaster's Aid

Arranged

Abou grins to me. Shakes Uncle Baber's hand. They make their way past the ornate wooden doors, across the marble floors and turn into a mirror framed hallway.

I turn away and drop my longing look. Aunty Yasmina hugs us.

Mama smirks at Aunty Yasmina's gaze at me and I smile politely back. They both meet eyes and giggle and head towards the large sofas with wooden flowers etched into the frames. I follow. My long purple dress flows down and the thick white border kisses the floor as I perch on a plush wooden chair.

Arfsy would do a crazy photo shoot in here for her profile picture. I sigh internally. If only she was here.

These people are so traditional. I don't understand why they won't just let me meet the guy and tell him to his face that I'm not interested! Uncle and Abou always head up the elevator to the third floor to meet Uncle's sons and be with the "gents" and they leave the "ladies" with me in the parlor.

The first two times was okay and whatever, but seriously, now Aunty Yasmina loves me and I don't really have the heart to tell her no to her face. My only option is to meet Tariq and tell him to his bearded face. I heard it was bearded anyways, everyone keeps going on about how he has a strong face and faith and because his imaan is strong all the girls around here are dying to meet him, so they all head over to his work and tell the secretary that their fathers are waiting to meet Tariq in the lounge for business. Funny thing, of course, their fathers aren't there and after the second time the secretary just gave the girls a cup of tea and started to console them. Wouldn't you know it though, the secretary has tried to have her own daughter meet Tariq as well, but he doesn't mix business and family life. Also, since he's such a catch all these nets are flying in to catch him and I'm so lucky that my family is friends with theirs and has had this planned since I was fifteen.

And of course, Aunty Yasmina's sister Mimi Aunty told me this at every visit so far. If I heard it twice it wouldn't be a big deal, but seriously, I don't have memory loss, I studied at university, you don't have to tell me six times!

But she is a great story teller.

Mimi Aunty enters and stretches her arms wide enough to touch the white pillars by the entrance.

"Assalamualaikum wa rahmutullahi wa barakatu!"

I take a deep breath to reply to her blessings of peace. After all, greetings need to be matched or one up'd.

"Walaikumalaisalam wa rahmutullahi wa barakatu Mimi Aunty." I rush to hug her.

Mimi Aunty is only ten years older than me and is quite hilarious. She tells me about all sorts of trouble girls get into around the community as they gossip about each other and then when I remind her that's gossiping she shrieks with laughter and tells me she's only telling me to warn me, have me understand my community and that she isn't saying anything bad about anyone specific. I usually pursue her for some time on this argument and we end up red-faced by dinner time with Mama and Yasmina Aunty waiting patiently for us by the dining room.

Mimi Aunty nudges me as thick bread pudding and hot gulab jamans are placed on the table by Mama and Yasmina Aunty.

"What happened?" I look at her and she glances at me with fluttering lashes.

"Some young man is very excited to meet you, you know? That's why today he's coming down for dessert." Mimi Aunty breathes behind her hand.

Mimi Aunty's eyes light up with exciting conspiracy.

"He's actually coming?" Mimi Aunty grins at my excitement.

"He's got a gift for you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
I need comments to continue...:)