Status: Story will be updated regularly.

Trouble in Paradise

Now Everything Has Changed

“Well,” Matt said rather impatiently. Emily shrugged her should and lay face down in the middle of the double bed. “It says here... if there is two pink lines... we’re pregnant... if its one pink line...” Matt trailed off as he read the instructions.

She rolled over in the bed, already knowing what the little white pee stick would tell them. For four months, after their two year anniversary, Matt had gotten her to take a pregnancy test every month. But what Emily failed to tell him was that she was still on the pill. She knew it was cruel but she wanted more to life than a baby hanging off her hip. She wanted to travel with work and enjoy life. I’m only twenty nine, she sighed to herself.

“Are you ready, baby?” he smiled. Emily nodded and took his hand, pretending to be as excited for the results as he was. Like she had done the other three times. Matt picked up the test and look at it a few times before speaking “Emily? We’re going to be parents!”

“We’re what?” she spat out in shock. Matt repeated him as she grabbed the pregnancy test from his hold. “This can’t be right. I can’t be pregnant.” She told herself and then seen her other half’s facial expression. “I mean we’ve only been trying for four months. How could this have happened?”

Kissing her lips, he grinned. “It’s ‘cause I’ve got super strong sperm.” Emily muffled a small laugh then kissed him back. Maybe if I only have one child hell stop on about me leaving work she thought to herself. Then she’d be pleasing him and getting her way at the same time. “Let’s make an appointment. The sooner we go, the sooner we get to see my little baby girl.” She cocked her eyebrows at him. “Yes we are gonna have a girl. So I’ll have two beautiful women in my life.”

“You make me want to puke sometimes you know that? Just hand me the phone and I’ll see when I can get an appointment.” She rang her doctor’s office, making the appointment for the following week. But with Matt going on tour – he was disappointed that he couldn’t make it but ended up leading to an interesting conversation about their careers.

“You should take a year out from work. I mean you’ll only get twelve weeks maternity leave -”

“Yes but I won’t be able to work properly until I have the baby. No sorry, that’s a lie. I’ll get to do paper work for the next nine months besides if I take a year out well lose a lot of money.” Matt was already annoying her about work and now he was rubbing his hand over her flat stomach.

“Baby, we’re not gonna lose that much” he scoffed and then looked at her facial expression. “I make enough money that we're able to live off of comfortably. We’re even making the album next year so well get to spend the first year of the child’s life together.”

“I’m not taking a year out Matt.” She pushed his hand off of her – as though it was going to help the case. Once Matt got an idea into his head it was very had to try getting it out. But she wanted to make him happy. “I can look after myself with my own money. Thank you very much. If you’re that concerned about the child’s life you take a year off work.”

“Maybe I will” he spoke sternly. “I don’t want to miss my child’s first smile, first time to sit up, and first tooth. And maybe even her first steps.” He said passionately, sitting up on the bed, gazing into her dark hazel eyes. “One of us will have to be there.”

She sat up beside him, not looking at him. She wanted to please him. “Fine i’ll apply for a year’s leave closer to having it but in the mean time you’re not to be getting to excited or tell anyone. I know a few of the guys in work told us before that miscarriages are common in the first few months. ” The smile on Matts face grew bigger. “But I am going back to work after a year. And you won’t stop me.”

“You won’t be saying that when we have out little baby girl.” He pulled her closer to him, delighted at the prospects of being a father at last. That what you think, she thought, kissing her lover gently
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit; Dirty Little Secret by Bullet For My Valentine