Secret Happiness

Part 3

Finally! Emily has only just gone to sleep, in hindsight I shouldn’t have let her go to sleep so long today; she just wouldn’t go down for anyone, both me and Harry were with her for nearly an hour before she even showed signs of settling. I turn out her light and gently close her door as to not make a sound. Any sudden noise or movement can wake her up. I turn around and am instantly captured in Harry’s arms.
‘Shh, she’s just gone down’. I snake my arms around his neck and lean into his neck, inhaling his scent; masculine and subtle.
‘Well then we better not talk anymore then.’ He kisses me softly on the lips and starts to sway us.
‘Do you have the monitor?’
‘Back pocket.’ I smile and bite my lip. ‘Fancy an early-ish night?’ I let out a little laugh as Harry takes my hand from around his neck and leads me across the landing to my bedroom. It’s been such an upside-down kind of day I just want move on and act like it didn’t happen. Of course it’s not as easy as that.
I stand in the middle of the room and hold my hand out for Harry to take after turning down the dimmer switch to a low, soft light that seems to make everything appear to be less harsh and gives the room a sense of glow. Linking hands we kiss gently, each kiss as significant as the one before it. Not a word is said as he unbuttons his shirt and peels it off his shoulders allowing it to drop to the floor. Lifting my arms above my head he pulls the hem of my top out of my jeans removes it, running his hands over my skin as they come down my arms and continue down my body, following the curves of my waist and hips. He wraps his fingers around my throat and pulls me into deep kiss. I drop my arms and start to caress his back, running my fingers over his hard muscles and shoulders; gentleness turning to urgency as I can feel myself getting turned on more and more with each passing second. I walk backwards to the bed and pull him with me so that he fall son top of me when the back of my knees hit the softness of the duvet. We release each other’s close embrace enough to laugh at our little fall. Our faces are mere millimetres apart and I can feel his breath on my skin. I close my eyes because I can’t bear to look in his after what happened today. Being this close I feel so exposed, so vulnerable as if he can see everything I’m thinking of if he looks hard enough. He would see that every time I’m intimate with him all I can think of is Jared, every time he plays with Emily all I can think of is Jared. He would see that I’m not in love with him at all and that all I can think of every day is Jared. Harry strokes a piece of hair out my face and places it behind my ear. ‘I really do love you.’ The words are like a knife to my heart. I can’t say them back; the words are stuck in my throat. I know he’s waiting for me to say them. I do what any other girl in my position would probably do, I think, I panic and kiss him. I know he feels disappointed.
The phone! Oh thank God the phone is ringing. I fake sigh and shove him off me. ‘Just ignore it’.
‘I can’t, it must be something important to call at this time of night’. He curses into the air and throws his head against the pillow. I reach over to the bed-side table and grab the ringing phone that interrupted us at the best time, or so I thought.
‘Hello.’
‘Rae, it’s me.’ I squeezed my eyes shut as if the sound of his voice was a burning bright light.