Kings and Queens

25

“Oh for Pete’s sake!” I shoved Langley and her suitcase towards the stairs. “Go! Get out of the house.”

“Are you sure I have everything?” she fretted. “You insisted on packing for me…”

“Yes!” I groaned. “I’m positive.” I caught sight of Dustin, Mike, and Jeff on the back porch. “Dustin! Get my sister out of here!”

He smiled before appearing next to her and picking up her suitcase. “Gladly.”

“Have fun,” I hugged Lang quickly. “Enjoy the time away okay?”

She nodded. “I will. Thanks for everything.”

I pulled her back into a hug one last time and whispered in her ear. “Check the very bottom of your suitcase.” I gave her a wink as Dustin escorted them out the door and to his car.

“What were you saying?” Mike put an arm around my shoulders.

“Oh nothing,’ I waved his question away. In actuality, I had packed Langley a few pieces of barely there lingerie as a little surprise. If anything, it would get a rise out of her and I’d get to laugh at her fury.

Jeff was leaning against the railing of the deck talking on his phone with a smile on his face. Something was afoot and I wanted to know.

“What’s got him so happy?” I asked Mike as we settled onto the small couch outside.

He shrugged. “Who knows?” Mike kissed my forehead. “What do we want to do today?”

“Honestly?” I rested my head on his shoulder. “I’m so tired. All I want to do is lay around.”

“I’m okay with that,” Mike shrugged. “Some of the guys and their girls were going to get drinks and sushi tonight. You want to come?”

“Am I your girl?”

His face turned a little red and he scratched his neck. “Uh-,”

“So I’m out,” Jeff shoved his phone into his pocket.

“Where to?” I asked.

“I’ve got… an appointment.”

“Would that appointment be lunch with a pretty girl?” I questioned. “And why are you wearing the hideous shorts I bought you?”

He looked down at his legs. “I liked them,” he sighed. “But maybe it is…”

“Who is she?” I prodded him.

“Her name’s Marley,” Jeff smiled a little. “She works at the arena.”

“An Ice Girl?” I groaned. “Come on, Jeffy.” Those were exactly the types of girls he liked, but should be staying away from.

He rolled his eyes. “Actually, no. She works in the front office. Helps manage social media and fan interactions… public relations.”

“She does the twitter account?”

“Yeah?”

“I like her already,” I nodded. “You have my blessing.”

Jeff laughed. “So glad I do.” He bid us goodbye and soon, Mike and I were alone.

We sat quietly for a while before Mike spoke up.

“Breakfast?”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Mike’s POV

I offered to go pick up some food from a diner a few miles away while Bridgette got things settled at her condo for our day of doing nothing. I wouldn’t admit it out loud, but I was definitely looking forward to having her close by in nothing but those leggings and tank top all day.

At the diner, I sat at the counter on my phone as I waited for our take out order of omelets and potatoes. Bridgette had tweeted just as I left the house and I had included my handle.

@therealbridge87- Sent @M_Richie10 to do my dirty work. Hurry up already! A girl’s got to eat!

@M_Richie10- Doing the best I can @therealbridge87. Maybe if your order hadn’t been so complicated…

Soon my phone rang and Bridgette’s face popped up on the screen. I chuckled at the ID picture of herself that she’d chosen, as it wasn’t terribly flattering.

“What is so complicated about an egg white omelet with home fries? Did you manage to screw it up?” the last part was teasing.

“Oh aren’t you a comedian?” I signed the slip after handing over my credit card. The waiter’s eyes went wide at my name, but didn’t say anything. “I’m heading back now.”

“Good,” she grumbled. “I’m hungry. I have coffee made and picked out a few movies.”

“What do you have?” I asked as I backed out onto the street. Was talking and driving illegal in California? Guess I was about to find out.

“The original Sandlot, Iron Man 1 and 2, the Titanic, the Bourne movies, and one of the James Bond movies,” she shuffled things around. “I think it’s an old one with Pearce Brosnan.”

“No way are we watching that one then,” I rolled my eyes. “Or Titanic.”

“Oh come on,” she complained. “Don’t you want to see my cry?”

“Why would I want that?”

*~*~*~*~*~*

I heard Mike’s car in the driveway and I caught myself smiling like a fool.

“Stop that,” I said out loud. I really was going crazy. There I was, getting giddy over the fact that my boyfriend had arrived back after being gone for twenty minutes and I was talking to myself. And we had just been talking on the phone.

Wait, boyfriend?

I needed Langley.

“Stop what?” Mike’s voice came through to me as he let himself in through the unlocked door.

“Oh, uh,” I looked around for an excuse like it would pop out of thin air. “Rhonda was scratching the chair leg.” Sorry, baby girl.

He shrugged the bag of our takeout onto the counter and unloaded the contents. “An egg white omelet with basil and tomato for the lady.” Mike gave me the still hot Styrofoam before fishing around in the bag again. “A real omelet for me. And a big box of potatoes for us both to share.”

“Coffee,” I handed him his mug before grabbing the disposable silverware and following him into the living room. “Which movie first?”

“You pick,” he shrugged. “Just not the James Bond one or Titanic.”

I huffed before picking one up from the stack. “Then you have to deal with my crush on Robert Downey Jr.”

“So long as you like me more,” Mike smiled. “But Iron Man is a badass.”

“Amen,” I seconded. “Now pass me the potatoes.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's been so long. I was voted Freshman class homecoming queen and then it literally took me two weeks to catch up on school work since I was so involved with homecoming planning as a part of student council.

If there's a time gap between updates, please, don't worry. This story is always on our minds, it's just sometimes hard to find time to sit down and get to updating.

Let us know what's on your minds, lovelies!