Kings and Queens

30

Watching the boys practice was actually fun. They were basically just screwing around on the ice and throwing in a few drills here and there. They looked like overgrown man children out there and it was cute.

Dustin had offered to get some of the guys to bring their girls, but I quickly turned htat down. I hadn’t had alone time in a few days and I was in need of it. Mostly, I just needed some time to deal with the fact that my parents were going to be arriving in a few days.

I wasn’t looking forward to them showing up or staying at our house, but I really wasn’t ready for them to meet Dustin. I had a feeling that they might question him and us or they would just be rude. I tried to warn him, but he didn’t seem to care. He claimed that it would be okay and that nothing would bother him, but in reality I knew at least one thing they would say would get to him.

I was torn from my thoughts when Mike knocked on the glass at me. I waved but he motioned for me to go toward the bench, “Hey,” I was confused.

“You look like you needed someone to bring ya back down to Earth,” he gave me a smile

“Are you meeting our parents?” I asked him.

“Bridgette hasn’t said too much,” he shrugged, “Dustin meeting them?”

“He wants to.”

He looked out onto the ice as everyone skated to the tunnel to go back to the locker room. He held out his hand and helped me over the boards to the bench, “You don’t want him to?”

“Our parents are crazy,” I stated, “She’s going to sugar coat it, but they’re basically two of the rudest people ever.”

“She’s worried you’re going to have a break down,” he sat next to me.

“I don’t want to,” I looked at the ice, “but it could happen.”

He chuckled, “Well, my door is open for you to come in and get away from them anytime you need to. Jeff doesn’t have a life, so he can be around for you to vent to and we both know Pens isn’t going to let them bring you down.”

“Yeah.”

“You, ah, you wanna hit a few pucks?” he handed his stick to me.

I snorted, “I couldn’t hit shit.”

“Good thing you have me around then,” he stood up and shoved the stick into my hands, “I’ll go get Dustin and we can teach you. promise you’ll feel better.”

“Can I hit you with a puck?” I joked.

“I’d prefer you didn’t,” Mike laughed, “But I’ll offer up Jeff.”

“I accept that.”

“Be right back,” he told me.

Dustin skated back out with a smile, “We’re teaching you how to shoot a puck?”

“He claims it’ll get out some pent up anger,” I shook my head.

“I can show you other ways to get that out,” Dustin hunched over and skated toward me.

“Don’t…” I warned but it was too late, I was over his shoulder with him skating around.

He finally got his kicks and set me down across from the net. He and Mike tried explaining how to hold the stick, how and where to hit the puck, but I didn’t listen. I felt my eyes glaze over and my thoughts drift off to how good the two men in front of me looked in hockey gear and a little sweaty.

“Stop undressing me with your eyes,” Dustin whispered as he positioned himself behind me so he could show me how to hold the stick.

“I was picturing Mike naked, actually.”

“It’s not worth picturing,” he nipped my earlobe, “Now,” he said louder, “This is how you hold the stick and you pull it back like this and just swing.”

He helped me with the first puck and then let me shoot a few on my own. I wasn’t very good, but iw as making it close to the net at least.

He and Mike were giving me pointers from the side, “Picture your dad,” Mike suggested.

I gave him a smirk and smacked the puck into the back of the net, “Holy shit!” I yelled.

Dustin skated over to me, “Nice one baby!” he lifted me off my feet.

----

“You want to stay here while we’re gone?” Dustin asked after we walked into his house.

“What? Why?” I asked.

“From the looks of it, you need a little alone time. you were very content in the stands all alone and I think Bridgette is going to be a little…overbearing. You need some time to relax before your parents get into town and this is going to be unoccupied for a few days…”

“What’s in it for you?” I raised an eyebrow.

He thought for a minute, “Well, the satisfaction of helping my girlfriend out, privacy so we can have phone or Skype sex,” he winked, “And having my sheets smell like you when you’re not here.”

“You’re too sweet,” I laughed.

Dustin smiled at the compliment, “Seriously babe, why don’t you stay?”

“Because Bridge will need me and might get pissed…”

“I don’t want to upset your sister, but she’ll understand in the long run.”

He was right, I did need a little time to myself but leaving Bridgette alone to deal with our parents’ arrival seemed cruel. However, I was only a short drive away and could be there if she needed me.

“Time to write,” Dustin smiled, “Maybe write a little something you’d let me read.”

I raised an eyebrow, “Why are you encouraging me to write?”

He ran his thumb over my cheek, “It makes you happy, you make me happy; therefore, the happier you are, the happier I’ll be. Come on Lala, simple math here.”

I laughed, “I’ll stay for a night or two.”

----
Bridgette stared at me, “Seriously? You’re going to ditch me this week, of all weeks?”

“Not ditch,” I shook my head, “I just need a couple days to myself. I’ve been with you or Dustin for like three weeks straight and you know how crazy our parents make me.”

“Fine,” she tossed her phone at me, “I was going to congratulate you on this, but never mind.”

I watched as she walked toward some of the other girls at the game. She was frustrated too, but in
all honesty, she didn’t need to be. Our parents weren’t as hard on her as they were me. They would fawn over her and love Mike while they degraded me and were rude to Dustin. I knew that they drove her crazy, but if she would look at the big picture, it was my fault. I was the one they argued with, she was just caught in the middle or standing up for me; poor kid was just guilty by association.

I glanced down at the phone in my lap and saw a picture of us on E’s website. It was a picture from the carpet of our group posing for the cameras. I scrolled down to look at the article attached. It mentioned a lot of the people who attended, including Bridgette and Mike. However, toward the bottom it had another picture of the five of us from inside the party; Dustin and I were close and laughing at something, his forehead was against my temple, and big smiles on our faces. The caption read:

Langley Washington and Kings’ forward, Dustin Penner, looking adorable and cozy inside the event. Not only did she top the best dressed list, get a hosting gig for our own Chelsea Handler, but she also snagged herself a ‘cutest couple’ award with her new man. How adorable!

“cute, isn’t it?” Bridgette snapped from beside me.

“I’m not doing this to make it harder on you. honestly Bridge, if I didn’t show up all weekend your life would be easier, you know that right?”

“They want to see you too.”

I shook my head, “If they do, it’s just to harass me more. I’ll be there though, I’m a couple minutes away if you need help. I can bake and cook at Dustin’s too, so don’t think I’m going to cop out. I just really need a day or two to myself.”

She nodded, “I get it, I really do, but I’m not happy about it.”

---
I smiled as Dustin walked out of the locker room, “Finally, a goal,” I teased.

“I know, right?” he replied, mocking my tone.

I stood on my tip toes, still only meeting his neck, “A game winner too, I’m proud.”

He met me the rest of the way, “Thank you,” he said before he kissed me.

“Alright guys, bus leaves here at 7AM go home, get some sleep, and get ready,” Dustin Brown yelled, “Good win boys!”

Dustin and I started for his car, “Bridgette mad?”

“Yep.”

“You’re five minutes away,” he shook his head, “It’s not like you’re two continents away.”

“We’re drama queens,” I reminded him, “I’ll probably give in after the first night.”

He stopped me, “Spend as much time there as you need, okay? You’re the one we’re worried about.”

“We’re?” I asked.

He nodded, “Mike and I were talking and Bridgette told him that you get the brunt of everything, like you said, and we can tell you’re worried about it. Mike’s on my side on this one, I think he can calm her down so she won’t be mad at you.”

“I think she gets it, I just think she’s worried about getting the house ready.”

“And again, you’re five minutes away,” he helped me into his car, “I’m the one who’s going to be worse off without you until Friday.”

I pushed him back, “You get guy time, time away from your crazy girlfriend, and you can go out without worrying about me being around; you’ve got it made Penner.”

He caught my arm with his hand, “I’ve got it made right here,” he leaned down and kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is long, I know...but it seemed easier than dividing it up and...well, yeah lol.

Glad tos ee we still have some readers left!! Hope you guys keep up!!