Status: *HEADS UP* My computer is shot and the new one will arrive Monday. Will type and post Chapter 10 next weekend!

Lone Wolf

Blood

When Keegan looked in the mirror that morning, her smile never faltered and seeing her own smiling face made her that much happier. Quickly, she showered, dressed and fixed her hair and makeup before grabbing her school bag and started downstairs. Mr. Kennedy sat at the island, newspaper splayed out in front of him. He looked up when she descended the stairs, "Morning Princess!" Keegan smiled wider and kissed him on the cheek before grabbing an orange, and began peeling it, while dancing around the kitchen.

"Well, you are in a good mood."

Keegan laughed, as she leaned against the counter biting into an orange slice, "What, I can't be in a good mood?" Mr. Kennedy shrugged, "Does this have anything to do with a certain boy?" Keegan rolled her eyes, "Maybe it does." She watched her father shake his head and smile. She smiled again and moved to the fridge, taking a bottle of water out and placing it in her bag, "Well I am off to school. I'll see you tonight!"

"I'll be home late; I have dinner with a client."

Keegan nodded and grabbed her keys from the rack by the pantry door, "Alright, well I will see you later then!" She opened the door and to her surprise, saw the familiar vehicle of the Stilinski boy sitting in her driveway. "Hey, Stiles is driving me to school," she yelled over her shoulder. Mr. Kennedy laughed, "Just be careful!" Keegan pocketed her keys and skipped out to the waiting Jeep. As she settled into the passenger seat, he leaned across and gently kissed her on the cheek, "Morning!" Stiles smiled as he leaned back into this seat. Keegan bit at her lip, "Good morning."

Stiles put the Jeep into drive and pulled out of the driveway. As they drove, Stiles brought up the topic of the nearing Super Moon. "So, exactly how does it affect them?" Stiles asked, taking his eyes off the road shortly, glancing at her. Keegan shrugged, "I don't know really. I've heard it's nothing compared to an eclipse though."

"What happens then?"

"Rumor has it that during an Eclipse, a werewolf can be turned back to a human, but I don't believe it." Stiles nodded and pulled the Jeep into the school's parking lot and into a spot near the door. They sat there quietly for a few minutes. The silence was comforting and Keegan could see Stiles watching her from the corner of his eye. "Can I help you Mister Stilinski?" He smiled at her and shook his head, "Nothing." He bit his lip and quickly leaned across the Jeep, gently kissing her. Surprised, Keegan didn't return the kiss. Stiles pulled away, confused and hurt. Keegan giggled, and frowned at the boy, "I'm sorry dear. Let's try that again." Stiles stared at her blankly when she grabbed the front of his shirt and kissed him.

"We should probably get going. We don't want to be late." Keegan laughed and shook her head, "No, I think we do." She tightened her grip on his shirt and moved herself closer to him. When they separated, they heard the warning bell ring and they quickly sprinted from the Jeep.

X X X X


When the lunch bell rang, Keegan found herself walking down a deserted hallway to her locker. As she neared the small metal cubby, she saw a piece of paper wedged in the door. She stared at the paper for a few moments, and then glanced up and down the hall for anyone who could have placed the note in her locker. Gently, she removed the paper and unfolded it:
"Find me after school. We need to talk."
-SM

Keegan furrowed her brow. She didn't think Scott would be the type to leave notes in someone's locker but he figured maybe he didn't want to talk to Derek; and it definitely wasn't Stiles handwriting, besides why would he write a note to her from "Scott". Keegan pocketed the note and placed her books inside, and secured it before heading to the cafeteria. Once she had her tray, she searched the room for Lydia or Stiles, and found them sitting together; awkwardly silent. She placed her tray into the spot next to Lydia, and smiled over at Stiles. Moments later, the rest of the group showed up. Lydia smiled up at the brunette before speaking, "So now that you are here, I was thinking that we should go out this weekend. Keegan, do you want to join us?" Jackson dropped his tray onto the table and smugly smiled at the girls.

Keegan had been anxiously pushing her salad around on her plate and all she could muster was a shrug. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Jackson smirking and begin to open his mouth, "Oh, I'm sure if Keegan could actually find herself a boyfriend that she'd actually like to show off in public, and is real; then she would." Keegan could see Stiles begin to move, but Scott placed his arm on the boys shoulder holding him in his chair. He looked over at her and she barely moved her head, telling him to drop it. The table grew silent and a loud smack came from Lydia, "Jackson!" Sensing she wanted to leave, Scott grabbed her finished tray and handed it to Stiles, before grabbing Allison's and brought them to the dish-room. Keegan always admired the "big-brother" role that Scott played and at this very moment, she was very thankful. They returned a few minutes later and they remained silent until they were dismissed.

Allison hooked her arm through Keegan's and they exited the lunchroom with Scott and Stiles following behind. They all stopped at their lockers and when the bell rang, they said goodbye and went their separate ways. Keegan ducked into the library and found a table in the back corner, and pulled a notebook from her bag. She stared at the blank sheet of paper and jumped when a backpack slammed onto the table in front of her. She smiled up at the boy standing in front of her. Stiles smiled back and sat down next to her.

"Shouldn't you be in Economics?"

Stiles shrugged before laughing, "I'm sure Coach won't mind the absence." Keegan laughed and they fell into a collective silence, listening to the students around them. "So, why didn't you say something?" Keegan looked up from her book, "Hmm?"

Stiles sighed and pushed his Econ homework to the side, and inhaled, "Why didn't you say anything to Jackson?"

Keegan shrugged, "Why should I let him think he got to me? Giving that POS any response lets him know that he's under my skin and winning. Besides, he really isn't worth the wasted breath." She finished, looking up at Stiles. The large grin on his face surprised her and she furrowed her brow at him. He simply shook his head. The two spent the rest of Keegan's free period quietly discussing their Chemistry project and anything else they could think of.

X X X X


The final bell rang and Keegan felt jostled as the students rushed past her and poured out of the building. Stiles waved her over to the Jeep and held open the passenger door for her. As the Jeep joined the queue, they laughed about the day's activities when suddenly, Keegan screamed. Standing in front of the Jeep was Derek.

Stiles slammed on the brakes just in time to avoid colliding with the werewolf. Derek placed his hands on the hood of the Jeep before he crumpled and fell onto the pavement. Instantly, Keegan threw open the passenger door and was at Derek's side. Quickly glancing over his body, she noticed the dark color of his veins, which popped out of his arm, and she knew he was poisoned. "We have to get him out of here, Stiles. He's been poisoned!" Keegan cried, looking up at Stiles with pleading eyes, brimming with tears. She attempted to grab his legs and Stiles tried sitting him up.

"We got this Keegan, just get in the Jeep, okay?" Scott stated, appearing next to Keegan. She nodded and watched as Scott and Stiles lifted Derek into the Jeep, and Keegan locked her arms around Derek's upper torso to keep him balanced. As they loaded him into the car, Derek grabbed at Scotts shirt and whispered something into his ear. Scott nodded and then gently closed the passenger door, "Listen; get him to the animal clinic. I have a plan." Stiles nodded and ran back to the driver's side as the cars lined up behind them impatiently began honking their horns. They drove down the road quietly at first, until Stiles told Derek not to get blood on his seats; which Derek replied with a growl. Keegan sat in the backseat and frowned, going unnoticed by the two.

Suddenly, Stiles slammed on the brake and pulled off to the side of the road, "What happens if Scott doesn't find your magic bullet? Huh? Are you dying?" Derek groaned and rolled his eyes again, "Not yet. I have a last resort..." Keegan leaned forward in her seat, "What are you talking about?" Derek shook his head at her questions. Stiles glanced back at her in the backseat, and pursed his lips, "What do you mean you have a last resort?"

Black goo dripped from Derek's arm, catching Keegan's attention. Quickly, she leaned forward and pushed the end of Derek's sleeve up past his elbow, "You were shot? Who shot you?" Stiles' mouth fell open, "Oh my god, what is that? Is that contagious?" Derek groaned and attempted to pull his sleeve back down, black goo slowly soaking his shirt and oozing down his arm, "I don't think it was intended for me. I was chasing the Alpha." Keegan stared at him wide-eyed, "You were chasing the Alpha?! Do you know who it is? Hey, why didn't you tell me you needed help!?" Derek rolled his eyes at her, and shrugged, wincing in pain, "I don't know Keegan, and I'm not about to put you in harm's way. Right now, I just need to get the bullet." Stiles continued to stare at the panting werewolf, "You know what, you should probably just get out."

"Stiles!"

Derek turned towards the boy, "Start the car. Now." Stiles laughed, and looked out the windshield, "Oh, okay. I don't think you should be barking orders, ok? You know, if I wanted to, I could probably drag your little werewolf ass out into the middle of the road and leave you for dead." Keegan groaned from the backseat, and placed her face in her hands, shaking her head. Derek chuckled, finding something amusing, "Start the car, or I'm going to rip you throat out... with my teeth."

"Boys stop arguing! We need to get him to the animal clinic. If we wait any longer that infection will spread to his heart and it will kill him." Stiles glanced down at the phone in his lap and quickly dialed Scott, throwing his hand in the air when he finally answered. They talked quickly and Keegan could sense Stiles' agitation, "Yeah, I'll take him through the back door... Scott, I don't care about Allison and her family, just hurry; and by the way he's beginning to smell... like death!" Stiles added glancing over at Derek, who attempted to bare his fangs at the boy, but suddenly he slumped over in the seat.

"Stiles drive!"

Jumping out of his daze, he threw his phone down, jammed the car into drive, and floored the gas. A barrage of car horns sounded behind them as he cut off a few other drivers and attempted to get them to the animal clinic as quick as he could.

X X X X


Hours passed since they had arrived at the Beacon Hills Animal Clinic. Stiles' constant calls to Scott weren't getting them any closer to getting Derek healed and time was ticking away. Derek stood slumped over against the operating table as Keegan paced the floor. Derek's breathing was becoming heavier, more labored and he winced at every breath, "If Scott doesn't show up soon... we will have to take drastic measures." Keegan immediately stopped moving, "OH, I don't think so!" Derek shut his eyes tightly, and his knuckles turned white as he clutched the table harder, before glancing through his lashes at Keegan, "What else do you have in mind Keegan? This poison is not slowly down and it is getting too close to my heart. We have to stop it somehow."

Stiles looked between Keegan and Derek, unaware of what they were implying, when suddenly Derek slammed a bone saw onto the table in front of him, "We both know she won't do it..." Stiles shook his head, eyes wide, "Ugh, Look- I don't know if I can do this!" Derek rolled his eyes, "Why not Stilinski?"

Stiles' face paled, "Well, because the cutting through the flesh, the sawing of the bone and especially the blood!" Derek stared blankly at the boy, "You faint at the sight of blood?" Stiles' mouth dropped open and he stared at Derek, "No, but I might at the sight of a chopped-off arm!"

Derek leaned forward and grabbed the front of Stiles' shirt, baring his teeth. Stiles baulked, but when Derek slumped over, Stiles sprang to action and attempted to steady him, "Where the hell is Scott!," He groaned through his teeth . Keegan looked over to Stiles who could see the worry in her eyes. He fished his phone from his pocket, "I'll call him." Keegan pursed her lips and nodded, taking the weight of Derek from Stiles, "I'm not going to let you chop your arm off, you stupid werewolf. We will get you healed, please just hang on," She whispered to a barely conscious Derek.

"Alright, well Scott's finally on his way here." Stiles said, placing his phone back into his pocket and he moved to help Keegan. Derek found the last amount of strength he could muster and pushed himself back up to a standing position, and pushed the saw towards Stiles again, "It's now or never." Stiles glanced down at the saw and then his gaze landed on Keegan. Her lips were in a small frown, and he could see the tears welling up in her eyes. She caught Stiles' eyes and pursed her lips before bringing her hand up to her mouth and let out a sob. Stiles dropped his gaze, which landed back on the saw. His internal struggle was difficult, but he knew it had to be done. Gently, he picked up the saw, surprised at its weight, before looking up at Derek. Keegan moved herself behind Derek, out of the way and away from the stage before her. Her eyes closed tightly as she heard Stiles start the saw, the mechanical noise made her nauseous and over the loud whirr, she heard Stiles.

"Ready?"