Crossroad Blues

Louisiana

Dean pulled into a gas station just outside of New Orleans; he needed fuel and so did his baby. Sam was fast asleep, head leaning on the window. Dean looked at his brother, shaking his head slightly. Might as well leave him sleeping; poor kid was up all night with Dean’s music and singing. Plus Dean knew what Sam would want from the store.

Dean stood from the Impala and stretched. Reaching into his back pocket for his wallet, he pulled it out and flipped it open. He grabbed one of the many fraudulent credit cards and slid it into the machine in front of him. He pushed the gas pump into his car’s tank, pressing the lever to let it fill the car. Leaning against the back door, he took in the surroundings. The gas station was obviously new to the area, with its abundance of clean surfaces and shine. The region was heavily wooded with trees Dean recognized but didn’t know the name of. Sam would probably know, he mused with a smile on his face.

The lever clicked out of place, telling him the car was full. He shook it gently to get the last few drops and placed the pump back in its sheath. Dean spared a glance toward the car, then walked into the store. He walked up and down the aisles in search for breakfast. Finally he came up with two Cliff bars for Sam and some candy for himself. He paid and sauntered back to the car, opening the candy bar and taking a bite of the chocolate. He opened the car door and Sam finally stirred, eyes blinking open.

“How long was I out?” Sam asked his brother, who shrugged as he sat in the driver’s seat.

“A couple of hours at least. Here,” Dean threw the Cliff bars at Sam, who caught them one-handed.

“Thanks man.” Dean only nodded and started the car. He pulled into the road and Sam spoke again. “How far are we from New Orleans?”

“About thirty minutes.” Sam nodded his understanding and opened one of the packages. He took a bite and chewed, pondering the future. Could this hunter actually help Dean? Did Dean want to be helped?

“Sam,” Dean said suddenly. “I think we’re being followed.” Sam resisted the urge to glance back.

“By who?” Sam asked, and Dean shrugged, still looking at the road.

“I don’t know, but I’ve seen that El Camino before.” Sam stared at his brother for a moment, then spoke.

“How do you know they’re actually following us?” Dean glanced at his brother.

“C’mon Sam, do you see anybody else on this road?” Before Sam could answer, the blue El Camino behind them swerved into the other lane, sped up, and passed the boys. The car disappeared behind a bend a mile or so up, and Dean was able to breathe easier.

Dean took that same turn and slammed on his breaks. The El Camino sat diagonal across the road with Rascal leaning against driver door, arms coiled under her breasts. The Impala skidded to a halt not three feet from hitting her and the car. Dean grunted and jumped out of his seat, Sam following suit.

“Are you crazy?” He yelled, to which she shrugged.

“You’d better be happy you didn’t get a scratch on my baby. I’d have kicked your ass into the middle of next week.” She unraveled her arms and placed her hands on the car lovingly.

“How long have you been following us?” Sam asked.

“Since y’all hit the border. Took ya long enough to make me.”

“I’ll make you do something.” Dean muttered angrily. Rascal tilted her head and crossed her arms again.

“I’m sorry, was that a threat? Y’all came to me looking for help. I don’t have to do jack shit.” She stared directly at Dean, but it was Sam who spoke next.

“What do you want?” Her hazel eyes shot to Sam, who stood with open arms, almost pleading for her to help with his stance.

“Calm your horses. I just wanted to help y’all find the place.” She said innocently, shrugging her shoulders and pouting her lips slightly. Dean rolled his eyes, thinking, this chick is about as innocent as I am.

“Alright, well, let’s get going.” Sam said, and she nodded.

“My pleasure.” She slid into the El Camino, and Dean looked at Sam.

“This is a bad idea.” He said, and Sam shrugged.

“What other choice do we have, Dean?”