Just a Dare

The Epilogue

It was a year and a half later, and I was cranky. Nobody was listening to me, and on this day, I was getting sick of it.

“Now listen up!” I yelled to everyone in the house. “Today is MY day, and I don’t want all of your screaming and fussing to ruin it!”

“Just calm down and let us handle it,” Liz said coming up to me and escorting me to my room. “Just stay in here and stay calm, and we’ll take care of everything. Why are you so jumpy anyways?”

“I’m sorry,” I said giving her a hug. “I just haven’t been feeling like myself this week, due to all the stress,” I said laughing. “Plus, I haven’t exactly told him yet, but in say about… 8½, 9 months, something’s going to be arriving,” I said with a giant grin.

“You mean that you’re, pregnant?” she whispered excitedly. “How did you find out you were?” she asked as I nodded my head.

“Well, aside from my mood swings and cravings, I took one of those tests. I’m just lucky that I didn’t get morning sickness,” I said, pretending to wipe sweat from my forehead.

Liz came over and placed a hand on my belly. “Do you know if it’s a boy or girl?’ she asked looking up at me.

“It’s too soon to tell. Besides, I don’t even know if I want to know what it will be. I kind of want to be surprised,” I said shrugging.

There was a knock on the door, and then it opened to reveal Joyce peering in. “Is everything alright in here?” she asked coming in.

“Yeah, Melanie just told me that she had a surprise,” Liz said grinning.

“Oh really? What is it?” Joyce asked as she smiled, reminding me of a little kid on their birthday about to opens their presents.

“You can’t tell anyone,” I whispered to her. “That includes you too Liz.”

Liz just humphed, while Joyce said, “Agreed.”

I leaned in close to her. “Well, the big surprise is, I’m pregnant!” I whispered excitedly.

“Oh my gosh! Congratulations! I’m so happy for you,” she said grabbing my hand and jumping up and down.

“Thank you! It’s just that I haven’t told Darrin yet, and I want him to know before the general population does,” I said as I plopped on my bed.

“Girls, I think that you should let Melanie get ready,” my mom said as she came through the door.

“Yes. Mrs. Tanders,” they said exiting where my mom just came in. “See you later Mel,” Liz said as she waved at me.

“How are you doing?” mom asked, sitting down next to me on the bed.

“I am doing great! But I also feel extremely nervous,” I said sitting up and leaning against her.

“That’s perfectly normal,” she said laughing. “Here, I brought you something,” she said pulling a pearl necklace out of her pocket.

“Oh mom, it’s beautiful,” I said as she put it on me.

“Well, you know the saying, “something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.” Well, this is something old,” she said smiling fondly.

“Thank you so much,” I said as I hugged her. ‘That covers it then, since I have blue underwear, I’m borrowing Liz’s earrings, and the shoes are new,” I laughed.

“You always were the weird one out of the three of you,” she laughed.

“But that’s why you love me,” I said sweetly.

“Yeah,” she sighed. “I think you should finish up getting ready,” she said as she went over to where my dress was.

Thirty minutes later, I was sitting on my bed, nervously chewing a stick of bubble gum when there was a knock on the door. “Who is it?” I asked going to the door.

“It’s Darrin,” said the voice behind the door.

“I’m afraid I can’t open the door. You know that it’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding,” I grinned, stopping short of the door.

“I know that, but I can still talk to you like this. I just wanted to say that I love you so much, and I can’t wait until we say “I do”. I’ll see you at the altar love.” And with that, I heard his footsteps retreating.

I had butterflies in my stomach. We have been together for near 6 years on and off, and just being near him still sent butterflies in my stomach. I never thought that I would find love like that. I couldn’t wait to walk down the aisle and look into his eyes.

“Places everyone! It’s time!” I heard someone shout.

I waited in my room until my dad came and got me. “You look beautiful,” he said placing a kiss on my forehead.

“Thanks daddy,” I said putting my arm through his. We walked into the main area before going outside where all the bridesmaids and other people were waiting. When they saw me, they oohed and awed.

I heard the wedding processional start to play off in the distance. The flower girl started her journey off the path and down the aisle. Next was my sister who was my maid of honor. She was followed by the bridesmaids, Liz, Joyce and Sarah. I was next.

“Are you ready honey?” my dad asked me.

I took a big deep calming breath. “I’m ready,” I said as I flipped my veil over my face.

The wedding marched played as I started down the aisle and the audience stood up. I looked to where the bridesmaids were standing. I let out a sad sigh. “Kim should be up there,” I thought to myself and kept walking.

I looked over at my friends sitting and smiled. Everyone one of them has touched my life in some way. Even some of my friends from college were there. Ashley my first RA was there, along with her husband. Shane was there with his life partner. Jessica was there with her current boyfriend, and Tyler was there, but I didn’t know if he had a date or not.

As we approached the gazebo, I looked into Darrin’s eyes, and saw the same emotion that I felt in my heart. My heartbeat sped up, and the butterflies returned, fluttering rapidly. Our eyes held each other’s until I was standing right next to him. The audience then sat down.
“Who gives this woman away?” asked the preacher.

“I do,” my father said proudly. “I love you hun,” his whispered in my ear before he walked away.

The ceremony went off, just as planned. “Before the exchanging of the rings, the couple has decided to exchange vows,” said the preacher as he backed slightly away.

“Melanie,” Darrin said taking a deep breath. “As soon as I saw you, I knew that there was something special. But because of my foolish pride, I did nothing. Now, I know what a special person you are.”

He paused and looked deeply into my eyes. “I almost lost you once. I was so afraid because I couldn’t protect you. I don’t want that to happen ever again. I want to be there with you forever, side by side, so that I can always protect you. You have a hold on me, heart and soul. I love you.”

I took a breath to try to keep myself from crying. “Darrin, I love you now, and I loved you years ago. I love everything about you, from the way that you smile and laugh, to your weird quirks. Just being near you sets my heart on fire and the butterflies in my stomach to flutter uncontrollably.”

I felt the tears start, but I was able to hold them back. “I know that in my time of need, you were there for me. I felt you beside me every step of my fight. I don’t think that I would be here if it wasn’t for your love and support. My love for you is like the universe: never ending. I love you heart and soul. And I want to grow old with you, and fight over meaningless things with you. I am completely in love with you.”

“Now, Darrin Michael Rodmer, do you take Melanie Elaine Tanders to be your lawfully wedded wife, until death do you part?” asked the preacher.

“I do,” Darrin said grinning.

“Melanie Elaine Tanders, do you take Darrin Michael Rodmer to be your lawfully wedded husband until death do you part?”

“I do,” I said smiling like a fool.

“If anyone objects to why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace,” the preacher said looking around. “You may now kiss the bride.”

Darin lifted my veil, gently cupped my face and kissed me. All around there were hoots and hollers along with the occasional cat-call. We walked down the aisle and out to the front to go to the limo that would take us to the reception hall.

Darrin helped me into the limo and scooted in after me. “Champagne?” he asked as he held the bottle to me along with a champagne flute.

“I don’t really think I should,” I said as I pushed it away.

“Why not? We just got married! It’s time to celebrate our union!” he said putting an arm around my waist.

“I know, I just really shouldn’t be drinking being in this condition,” I smirked.

“Being in what condition?” he asked raising an eyebrow.

I held his hand and looked into his eyes. “Darrin, I’m pregnant.”

“You’re pregnant?” he asked disbelievingly. I just nodded my head. “This day just can’t get any better,” he said as he pulled me into a hug.

Later on, I ended up giving birth to twins. One was a girl, and the other was a handsome baby boy. The boy was named Darrin Michael Jr., while the girl I named Kimberly Amber, after Kim. Later on, Joyce and Joe ended up getting married to each other. Kim was the flower girl and Justin was the ring bearer.

Joyce became pregnant, and I was pregnant at the same time. She went into labor the day before me, so our kids were only one day apart. Justin and Kim were 3 at the time. Joyce had a baby girl whom she named Kayla, while I had another boy who I named Justin Andrew.

The four of them grew up together. You would never see one of them without the other three. Later on in life, Kayla and Andrew got married, but that’s another story.