Red as Blood

two

Deep within the forests of Alvier, where the mountain snow melts down into a rushing river through the gnarly evergreens and laurel trees dripping with moss and amber sap, and the sun's light flits through the trees to the ground with a feather light touch, there is a small village. Lochspell is the name it was given, a pretty name for such a dark place.

My home, as much of a home a human village can be to my kind at least. To them it is a village, nothing more or less, to us they are hunting grounds for the demons parents tell their children of to make them behave. Few know the name of this village, but many know of the terrible things that happen here.

The stars are brighter than usual tonight, dancing across the dark sky like tiny ballerinas in silvery gowns. The full moon lies half shrouded behind the diaphanous grey clouds, shining soft and gentle light to the snowy ground of the forest. The crystalline white powder flies around my paws as I run, kicking up molded autumn leaves and straggly branches from the mossy forest path. The only sound is of my heavy panting and the sound of my paws hitting the ground.

The sound of my paws is soon joined by the others as they finally catch up to me, disturbing the silent peace I crave. I skid to a stop at the edge of the cliff, where the ground is barren and devoid of trees, moss, and even snow. They all stop too, some coming dangerously close to slipping off the grey rock.

"Did I not make myself clear?" I snarl at my guardians. "I wish to be alone."

The answering wines and barks are of disapproval. "You are the future king of the Crystal Woods. You will lead our kind back to glory. And for that we can not leave you alone."

King. It sounds so human. Fitting in ways, showing how far we have fallen from the legacy our ancestors bestowed on us. Once we were many packs, entwined by bonds of forest and blood, but after the war we became a secret kingdom. One pack, larger than any before. We still remain spread across the lands, keeping in touch by messengers. But all the responsibility falls on the shoulders of one, rather than many.

"I have yet to be harmed on a run before." I bark.

"But the moon is full, the one night we have no power to switch back to human skins. You know those demons patrol these parts more fiercely on this night." Mako growls, grey fur bristling.

"I have no cause to fear them." I snarl. "Now unless you are prepared to go against your Prince, I suggest you leave me alone."

The guardians exchange looks of equal dejection and knowing, before nodding their heads and strutting of with what little dignity they have.

I shake the cold from my russet brown coat and leap over the cliff to the ledge below, jumping ledge by ledge until my feet hit the moon kissed snow and stones.

My paws pad across the snow covered forest, until I finally reach the lake and bound up the ragged mountain face to the high ledge. I face the moon, feeling the silver light wash over me, and howl loud and long to it. I can hear others howling in the distance. Werewolf and forest wolf alike. My kin.

The light of the moon makes me feel warm, as though I am being embraced by the light. Flooding me with it's power as it always has. It reaches every corner of my being, and I almost expect my fur to bleed white. Then the clouds cover the moon, and though I still feel the warm power buzzing in me, it is not nearly as strong.

I stay on the ledge, still and silent, my limbs becoming stiff from not moving, until the sun rises. I grit my teeth, hard as I can, so that I don't cry out as I feel my bones shifting. The fur shrinks back under my skin, my fangs becoming human teeth, and every part of my body shifts into it's human skin.

My body feels hot and feverish when the transformation is complete, so I climb down the steep rock face to the icy ground, and head toward the lake's waterfall.

The rushing icy water of the waterfall cascades over my bare flesh, rinsing the aching heat from my hair and skin. The shift always causes my body to feel like I've been doused in melted iron, same as with all the others. The water soon sucks all the heat from my skin, and I start to tremble. The sound of footsteps comes to my attention as I step out from under the roaring water, shivering from the chilly air and water. Snow has started to fall again, soft and white, hardening the damp ground.

It is another man, but not just any man. "Don't mind me." Red grins as he throws his clothes over a tree branch and slips into the lake. "I'm just here for a swim."
♠ ♠ ♠
wolf form