Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

For Better, Or For Worse

Damon paced along the room in front of fire. His emotions crackling, resembling the blazing fire in his eyes. This time even the glass of bourbon he held was not working to soothe his nerves. He had waited and tried so hard to get it. It was finally in his hands, he could taste the victory, the sense of doing something right for her but he dropped it. He let it go. Even his vampire reflexes weren't fast enough to catch the vial that truly held life in it.

Agreed that he was mad at himself but Stefan and Elena were also to blame. They both were vampires too, couldn't they leap out of each other’s embrace to catch it, but no. It was his responsibility to take care of every damn thing that they had to go through and yes, they had to go through a lot of shit. But seeing that psycho hunter with a wooden stake in his hand flinging it towards Elena, the mind of both brothers snapped at the moment to save her from her oncoming death.

Now that was the reason he was blaming himself. Elena wasn't his. She chose Stefan because it was Stefan, it was always gonna be Stefan yet he couldn't stop himself for caring, for wanting, for loving and it only made it hard. If not for those feelings, he would still have the cure but who was he kidding, he didn't wanted the cure for himself but for the girl he could never have, the girl for whom he will always be a second choice but it was gone, the only thing that could change her into human; a mortal was gone.

Everything they had worked for had fallen apart and he was the only one to be blamed. Now, he was wishing if not for Elena, then at least it should have fallen at someplace from where someone could come back from the realms of death. Argghh..He was becoming such a saint with all those sympathetic feelings thinking of saving and caring. This wasn't him, so maybe he just wanted to kill whoever came to life over that cure, whoever took Elena’s chance at mortality. Yes, that was it for sure.

Meanwhile, Elena sat on the corner of bed not knowing what to feel, she wanted to be a human more than anything. She wanted normalcy and in her future she wanted a college, a job, a family but on other hand she wanted her forever with Stefan and now she had it. She had her forever at the price of her humanity. No, she wasn't a monster. She would never be a monster. She will find a way. She will survive just like she had for the past year searching for the cure but at that moment she had hope, a hope to change, to be what she wanted but now, now there was no hope, no going back. A long eternity and nothing else.

Looking at Stefan sitting beside her seeming so sad and out of place because of her, she wanted to reach out to him and wipe away the pain and frustration he was feeling, evident in the way his brows were knitted together. “It’s ok, Stefan. I’ll be fine. “She paused, waiting for him to look at her. “I have already lived a year being a vampire, right? Plus, I’m not alone in this.”

She turned towards him and took his face in the hands, regarding him seriously but with a small smile, “I have you and Damon and Caroline. All ever so experienced vampires” she shrugged. “I can do this.” she said determinedly, broadening her shoulders. She wasn't sure if she was assuring him or herself but these words needed to be said. Yes, she needed to hear them.

Stefan smiled a little, given her attempt to lighten the mood but this is what scared him the most, her turning into what she despised; a monster, a murderer. He never wanted Damon to influence her ever but God forbid, he didn't wanted her to turn into him either; a ruthless, cruel ripper. Though he was reformed and had changed his ways, yet he could never get over the guilt and pain of those days.

He held her hand in his own, “You’re stronger, Elena. “More than any of us and more than I ever thought possible. You've seen Barbie vampire, if she handled herself do pretty, I’m sure you’re gonna be even better.” He squeezed her hand to reassure her but she was smiling now. “Barbie vampire?” she asked with a raised eye brow, “Spending much time with Damon, now? Where did that come from?”

God, her smile made everything better. Stefan shook his head, “A catchy one, isn't? Whatever the deal with Damon, he sure is creative enough to give names, huh?” Elena gave out a small laugh, imagining Damon’s creativity. Though she knew him better than others but this word didn't suit him at all and quite frankly, she knew he could be offended by that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like it.
Constructive criticism is welcome.
Thanks for reading.