Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Safe Haven

Mia opened her eyes with a sob escaping her lips. She jolted up on the couch and frantically searched for anything that could protect her, keep her safe and give her a sense of security. She was crying now and she was drenched in her sweat. She could hear her own heart drumming in her chest. “Hey,” Damon’s deep yet soft and gentle voice startled her. He sat on the couch in front of her, crossing his leg under him, he eyed her cautiously. Her face was flushed and small beads of sweat adorned her face.

Mia saw nothing but concern in his eyes and worry etched on his handsome features. Without a thought, she launched herself in his arms seeking the comfort she needed. Damon stumbled backward, his back resting against the arm rest of the couch as she caught him off guard, surprising him. Damon did nothing to push her way, instead wrapped his arms around her in a comforting embrace. His hand kept stroking her back while the other raked her silky soft hair.

Mia snuggled closer, burying her head in the crook of his neck, she nestled against him accepting gratefully the warmth and comfort he provided. They both sat there in comfortable silence until her sobs faded. She took a deep breath, taking in his scent which took over of her senses, filling her with warmth, calmness, safety and utter relaxation.

“Thank you,” she sighed, her voice raspy after crying. Damon inhaled her one last time, before slightly lifting his face, “No problem. Are you feeling better now?” his voice was gentle and calm, so unlike she heard before. She cleared her throat before answering, “Not really,” she mumbled weakly, “I was just so…” she searched for the right word and Damon’s embrace tightened. “Scared.” She finally said.

“Yeah, you've been through enough crap today,” he said with a hint of smile. Mia lifted her head to look at him, “What happened?” “You fainted,” he said casually, “when you touched that necklace.” Mia’s body tensed at his words and Damon’s hand went to her face, gently dabbing her wet cheek. Mia’s eyes widen slightly and her hand found itself clutching the front of his shirt. “Where is it?” her voice was urgent with undertone of fear. “With Bonnie. She’ll check what’s wrong with it,” he replied softly. Mia relaxed a little and rested her head against his shoulder again.

“What does that mean?” she mumbled. “Umm…well, you see. Bonnie’s the one who can do voodoo crap.” She could hear the smile in his words. “A witch,” she whispered and closed her eyes waiting for Damon to confirm it. “Not the world you expected, huh?” he tried, yet again to lift her mood or at least take away the effects of the nightmare she witnessed. “I know. It should surprise me, make me question the world,” she lifted her face again to look into his eyes, “but it doesn't. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” He chuckled at her thoughts but remained quiet, not knowing the answer himself. She was definitely different. Maybe the cure did something to her, he wasn't sure.

Mia herself thought about the dreams. Deep down she knew they weren't dreams, they were memories, so vivid and real. She also knew she couldn’t keep it bottled up inside or they would break her. She had to let it out but she didn't know how, who to turn to, who to trust. Lost in her ruminations, she didn't realize that she had leaned against Damon again until she became aware of the silent rise and fall of his chest. The same chest that held her tightly, chasing away the fear and darkness of haunting memories and it was at that moment that she had her answer.

“Damon,” she spoke carefully. “Hmm,” She raised her head to meet his eyes, the piercing blue pulling her in. It took her a moment to say the words, “I…uh. I need to tell you something,” she stammered. There was still nothing but concern in his eyes. He nodded at her, motioning for her to continue. She pulled back a little from him, lowering her gaze as if embarrassed and troubled by her admission. “I saw a memory sort of thing,” she looked up at him, trying to gauge his reaction but still there was only concern. She licked her dry lips, an innocent act that sent Damon’s mind into a frenzy, both surprising and amusing him and then annoying him. “Or maybe it was a dream but it was so real and it has some recurring things,” she explained.

Now, this took all the crazy Mia thoughts from his wretched brain away. “Recurring?” he questioned. Mia nodded, “Recurring like I see myself as a twelve year old but people keep calling me Maya instead of Mia,” she paused, “my mother and Enrique both.” She sighed remembering the name that made her warm but somehow it didn't had any effect on her now, “and Enrique’s in them almost every time.”

Damon clenched his jaw, wanting to see the person who invaded her dreams like that but she continued, “and then I had an accident and met someone, a guy who couldn't or wouldn't tell me anything I asked, just kept saying that they were watching and everything happens for a reason and that stuff, you know,” she shrugged and looked at Damon questioningly, wanting to know if he was still with her. Damon gave her a slow, encouraging smile.

“The scary part was the woman,” she paused thinking about her, the hatred and contempt she felt towards Mia, “they said Katerina will come for her family.” Damon suddenly tensed beneath her, his eyes taking a cold look, “They?” he asked in a tight tone. Mia got nervous now, seeing his reaction to Katerina, she knew that he was well aware of who she was. “Yes, a woman named Rosemarie and there was this guy with her, Trevor,” she spoke in a monotone, her eyes resting on the V of Damon’s neck. Damon blinked twice and stared at the fire far in further corner of the room, “Rose,” he breathed.

Mia eyes snapped up to meet his, “You know her?” she asked surprised. Damon searched her face for a moment before answering, “She was a good friend of mine.” Despite her fear of that woman, Mia got excited. “That’s great. Maybe she have the answers, Damon. Maybe she can tell me who I am. Where is she?” she kept her eyes on him but his face remain unchanged as if he wasn't listening to her, as if he was lost in a memory of his own past.

He remained silent for so long, Mia thought he would never answer. “She’s gone,” he finally said. The weirdest kind of pain sliced through Mia upon seeing his pain flashing in his electric blue. She was losing her sanity for sure, she wasn't scared of the supernatural world unraveling before her and the woman who scared her to death was the reason she felt pain.

“What happened?” she asked, her hand reaching out for Damon to comfort him but she stopped herself in time, not wanting him to run away. He still had that far off look in his eyes, “A werewolf bit.” Mia’s brows raised and she blinked, “Ok…” she dragged the word, “so vampires, witches and werewolves. What’s next in line, demons and angels?” she said mockingly, trying to erase that sad look from his face. Damon smiled at her, coming back to the reality, “You’re the one to talk, dead girl.” Mia chuckled, happy at the fact that he was himself again, a little if not completely.

Mia played with her fingers as they both sat in silence again. “Mia?” he called her in the same soft, gentle yet deep and resonating voice. Her heart skipped a beat, hearing him call her by name. It felt so wonderful and sweet, it sent tingling sensation all over her body. She raised her eyes to meet his.

“Tell me,” he asked, almost pleadingly. Mia parted her lips and inhaled deeply. He shifted uncomfortably but never letting go of her. She smiled at that. “Tell me everything,” he paused, “about your mother, Maya…and Enrique.” “I don’t remember much. Just the dreams.” “I know, just say as much as you can.” She looked at him for a second, surprised that he was genuinely interested. Somehow, it made her giddy with happiness.

She smiled and told him everything she saw and felt while he listened to it as one listens to the instructions to dismantle a bomb, as if their lives depended on it. “Nothing makes sense. It doesn't ” he spoke after a heavy silence of about two minutes since she completed her story. “I know,” she nodded in understanding. “We’ll figure it out,” he said in a soothing voice, looking deeply into her eyes. The moment, however was interrupted when vibration followed by music rang from Damon’s cell phone flashing Bonnie’s name. “Here we go,” he whispered to himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
The song for this chapter: Oblivion by Bastille. :)