Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

The Call

“You look so tired, Mia.” Claire commented as soon as Mia walked the front door. “I feel tired too,” she replied with a smile but it never reached her eyes. “Is everything ok?” she asked sincerely, her voice concerned.

Mia couldn't look into her eyes neither did she speak. She just nodded her head and took a step on the stairs. “Is it about your friends?” she asked. Mia turned around, her eyes meeting Claire’s. “I didn't mean to pry. I just wanted to know if I could help,” Claire explained, embarrassed.

Mia shook her head, a smile creeping up her lips. She came to sit with Claire, “No, I don’t mind. At least, with you I don’t. You have to know how much I care about you, Claire and love you. I mean, you've been there for me since the very start and you helped me even when you didn't knew me,” Mia stated the obvious thing.

“Thank you,” Claire said in a breathy chuckle. “You don’t know how important it is to hear that from people you care about,” she squeezed Mia’s hand but as always, all Mia could think was Damon and how he needed to hear the same from her, the words of gratitude and thankfulness and the fact that she cared.

Mia nodded and looked at her again, “My friends are all fine and good and I don’t have any problem with that. It’s just…” she fidgeted and hung her head, trying to hold the tears. “It’s just that I had a fight with Damon and I said things I wish I could take back because, if I could, then there would've been no fight...but I started it and now, I feel bad about it, that’s all.”

Claire nodded, “Did you talk to him?” she asked. “No, he wouldn't listen,” Mia exhaled. “Well, you should keep trying. Once he cools down, he would listen of course,” she chuckled, “besides, who could deny an angel like you?” Mia’s body tensed at the word ‘angel’. Her life was so full of coincidences.

Mia nodded and stood up to leave. She had stepped on the first step when Claire called her again, "Hey Mia!” Mia looked back at her. “Thank you for trust and for reassuring me. It means a great deal to me,” she smiled and Mia gave her a dazzling smile of her own.

Changing into her night dress, Mia sat at the study, her cell phone in one hand and the Enrique’s number in another. She kept weighing her options. She knew the way she felt with Damon and now she knew his history too. She would never do what others did to him and the only way to do that was to figure out the importance of her fiancé.

She would not string two guys along but she knew she would always keep thinking of him if she never met him. Which was why, meeting him was important and he was the only known and alive link to her past. Maybe, he would know something she didn't. Maybe, he would be able to help her and she would also see if the way she felt for him had changed or not.

Another reason to call him now was that Damon had pushed her away. Yes, she had a part in it but the thing was that they were mad at each other and he was clearly trying to distance himself from her. So, if she went for Enrique now, maybe it would hurt him less. Yes, she decided, it was the right time to call him.

She dialed the number with trembling fingers, her hand and feet were cold from the nervousness she felt. She listened to the beeps and after third a dulcet voice reached her ears, warming her, filling her with peace.

“Hello,” the voice said again and Mia’s heart beat got erratic, running like a wild horse. She put her hand on her heart, trying to calm it down and to form a coherent thought but she came up blank. It was like all the lights went off and she was waiting for his voice to guide her.

“Hello,” the voice said again. “Enrique,” she rasped out his name shakily. There was a pause on the other side. “Mia?” he croaked out and laughed, “It’s you, isn't it?” Mia nodded but then realized he couldn't see her. So, she tried to verbalize her thoughts but then again, nothing came except a small, “Hmm.”

“Oh my God. Mia, where are you, baby?” he asked, pain and longing evident in his voice. The tears flowed uncontrollably on her cheeks, “Enrique?” she cried. “I’m here. God! Mia, where are you?” he asked again.

Mia couldn't speak. The voice was so familiar, so warm, it hurt her. She wanted to see him. She knew it now, it was not simple calling him. Her insides were twisting. The pain was physical, cutting her already wounded heart. She sniffled as she wiped her tears away.

Enrique was thrilled to hear her voice. It was the one he could identify anywhere. No matter, how similar Maya looked and sounded. She could never do justice to Mia or the original Maya, who now went by as Mia. Mia was original, unique and pure whereas, Maya was tainted.

Her sobs traveled from miles away and he winced. He could feel her from that far away. The knowledge had him flying. “Hey, don’t Mia. Don’t cry. It’s ok. It’s all ok. I’m gonna come for you and everything’s gonna be fine,” he waited for her to say something but it remained quiet except for her sobbing.

“Mia, please,” he pleaded with her. “Mystic Falls,” she mumbled. “Mystic Falls, ok. That’s not so far away. If I leave now, I’ll be there by tomorrow evening,” “No,” Mia finally found her voice and his heart stopped at the denial.

“Take rest. You can leave in the morning,” the words reminded him of how utterly exquisite she was. How caring and loving. “I think I've rested enough. Plus, I don’t think I’ll be able to survive knowing you need me right now and you’re somewhere far away and…” he cleared his throat, “I’m coming now,” he said in a soft yet, final tone leaving no room for her choice to weigh in.

“Ok,” she said in a small voice, “I’m with Claire Matthews.” “Matthews?” he asked surprised. “Hmm,” she replied but she had a feeling that he knew something of this name and she put it away to ask him when he comes.

“Bye, Enrique,” she sniffled again. “No,” he said sternly, “No more good byes, Mia. I’m coming to you…I’m coming for you,” he assured her. She nodded and hung up. Her skin was wet from tears, her hair sticking to her cheeks.

“I love you,” he whispered in the dead line.
♠ ♠ ♠
Broken by Lifehouse
Thank you for hanging with me in this story. Love you guys.
Do subscribe/comment/recommend and give a shout out to your friends.