Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Seeking Answers

Damon woke to the blinding light through the window. He was restless the whole night like something was wrong, like he had to be somewhere important because someone, somewhere needed him. He knew very well who that someone was and he wanted to not care but he kept wondering.

He kept wondering, if she was alright, if she had another dream and what it was about. He knew very well what her dreams did to her. He wondered if she was still upset about their fight, if she hated him, if she will always hate him for that and lastly, if she had called Enrique, if she was with him right now, in his arms.

He shook his head to clear off his thoughts. He looked around to see Vanessa but there was nothing but blood. Hmm, maybe she ran off, he thought. After a bath, he checked his cell phone, making an annoying face when he saw several missed calls from both Stefan and Elena.

But there was none from the number he had hoped to see. Although he didn't deserved it and was the reason for the screw up, his stupid heart was still hoping. There were several messages from them both too, though, asking where he was, when was he coming back, if he was fine but he ignored it.

He entered the main living room where Vanessa was lying on the couch. He checked for her pulse which told him she was alive. He shook his head in disapproval as he fed her his blood, knowing fully that she would die without his help.

When she opened her eyes, he effectively compelled her to forget everything, leaving the vervain from her pocket on the table at the corner of the room. He knew she will wonder about vervain and the blood on her clothes but he didn't had more time.

He drank from her deeply and fully the previous night but he couldn't proceed with the fun party. Guilt stabbed him like knives in his heart and it felt heavy. He couldn't do it, it felt like he was betraying his own heart, his own self and mostly, Mia and that was the reason he stopped. This had never happened before and it scared him.

He finally took off to see Samantha again, knowing for a fact that she had answers he sought. He remembered now, the way she told him to call her in a very private manner for her help. She will talk hopefully, he thought. If they refused him, well then, God help them both as he was in no condition to negotiate.

Damon finally reached his destination. He took a deep and determined breath, cracked his knuckles as he made his way to the front door, which was already open.

“Samantha,” he called for her but there was no reply. That was weird, he thought. “Aaron?” he called for the guy he despised for his overconfidence. Oh, please don’t be dead, he thought as if in a thriller movie where the character with answers is murdered before he can clear things out.

“Hello?” he raised his voice. “Who’s there?” a panicked voice came, “How did you get in?” “Uh,” Damon looked around, “the door was open and I kinda barged in,” he said as he saw Samantha appear from behind the kitchen door, “Oh Damon. You scared me,” she said with a hand on her heart. “Sorry, the door was open. So,” he shrugged.

“I guess I forgot to lock it after Aaron,” she replied. “Ah! The Hercules’s not home, huh?” he asked with a smirk and Samantha laughed, “No, he has gone out,” she paused as she looked at him from head to toe. Damon was taken aback with the gesture.

“So, what brings you here?” she asked meeting his gaze and then her eyes glowed with excitement as she looked at wide eyes and he started at her in utter confusion. “You found her, didn't you?” she asked in a shrill voice, clapping her hands like a twelve year old.

“I wasn't aware I was on a treasure hunt but to answer your question, nope. I didn't, yet,” he explained and her face fell. Damon didn't know why he felt bad after seeing her disappointment. Sure, she was pretty and innocent and her scent was alluring but that shouldn't affect him much.

“I found something else, rather it’s ‘a someone’ and I was told only you can answer the questions I have,” he clarified the reason for his sudden appearance. She asked him to take a seat as she sat opposite to him on the couch. “Would you like to…” she started. “No, I’m good. Thanks.” He said with a small smile.

“What do you wanna know?” she asked patiently. “Uh,” he paused, not sure how to frame his question and then he thought it was better if he kept it open, simple and straight. “I wanted to know what you know about guardian angels.”

Samantha gasped loudly with a hand on her mouth, “An angel. A guardian angel?” she stammered. Bingo, he nodded as reply. “A Markowitz,” her voice was raspy and was barely audible but it was enough for the vampire in front of her.

He nodded quickly and leaned forward on the couch, clasping his hands together on his knees, “Yes, yes. That one. What do you know Samantha, huh? What do you know about her?” he asked urgently, wanting the answers he sought.

Samantha got off the couch and kneeled in front of him, keeping her gaze locked on him, she took his hands in her dainty ones. “Tell me the truth, Damon. Have you found her?” her voice was surprised, excited and focused.

“What the hell is going on?” Aaron’s voice boomed, loud and clear, seeing the position of them both. Damon eyes quickly went to meet his angry ones but Samantha pulled his face in her direction, trying to grasp his undivided attention.

“Answer my question?” she asked sternly. “Samantha?” Aaron called for her but she kept her gaze on Damon. Damon blinked twice, “Yes, I have. I've found her,” he said firmly, looking directly into her eyes. She searched his face for a moment and then dropped her hands as she stood up to face Aaron.

“They found her, Aaron,” she said in a breathy voice. “The Markowitz,” she clarified when he raised his eye brows at her. Suddenly, a smile broke on Aaron’s face despite the rigidity in his body. Well, that look’s weird on him, Damon thought.

“What’s her name?” Aaron asked Damon. “Mia,” he answered, her name bringing back sweet and painful memories which tugged at his heart. “Mia,” they both tried the name in unison and Damon watched them in sheer confusion and awkwardness. Well, Mia had that effect on people but they haven’t even met her yet.

“Are you gonna tell, what’s all the excitement about?” Damon spoke up. Samantha and Aaron both smiled at him, “Can we meet her?” Samantha asked hopefully. Damon shook his head, “Nope. Not until you tell me.” He challenged.

Samantha looked at Aaron who gave her a nod as she came to sit on the couch again, “Well,” she started, “How much do you know?” she asked. Damon tilted his head to a side, his eyes unfocused, “We know that she’s a Guardian because of that necklace but that’s it,” he lied.

“You don’t know anything else?” she asked in disbelief. “Nope, nothing at all,” he wiped his hands on his jeans. “Well, there’s so much to tell,” She sighed, “the exciting thing is that the angel of that kind comes to stop the evil and she has come at such a time. So, maybe she can finally end it which I hope for anxiously.”

Damon shook his head, not understanding what she was talking about, “Maybe she and the girl are one and the same person,” she explained, seeing the baffled look on his face. She looked from Aaron to Damon. Aaron seemed happy and proud, Damon however, was still confused, “Or,” he said. “Or, she may join hands with that girl. That’s also an option,” she said.

Damon nodded, “Yeah that could be it, joining the hands part,” Damon paused, “What about the Fallen angels? What are they and why do they take up dead bodies?” he asked with a determined stare and a straight face.

“How do you know about that?” Samantha asked tensely, Aaron seemed tensed too, his face strained and Damon knew he had hit the jackpot. “Isobel,” he said simply.

“There’s no avoiding the subject now. So,” she twitched her fingers and fidgeted. After a deep breath she continued, “Fallen angels were the one who fell from the heaven because they displeased The Deity in some way. After being on Earth, they were considered dark and evil by the non-fallen angels.”

She flashed her eyebrows at him, “As for your question, they possess the dead because there’s no soul to fight it and they can stay a longer period with same body and all. They can take the form of whatever age they want in it,” she explained.

“What about the ones without the dead?” he asked, thankful that she was speaking. “Well, they can’t be seen as such. They do take living bodies and also have the power of illusion…but that’s it. Apart from that and immortality, they don’t have much power,” she clarified, hoping that was all he had to ask.

Damon nodded. So, Mia was an angel herself and not some possessed freaking body. He voiced his thoughts and Samantha shook her head, “No, that’s not how it works. The dead can only be taken at the night of comet which is a rare occurrence.”

“What about her dying? Is it important for her to die?” he asked the single most important question to him. “It depends,” Samantha replied. “On what?” he questioned, his tone turning cold. That was the reason he was here, to know if he could save her and she reverted at the topic.

“It’s a whole new different world. It’s kind of hard to explain,” Aaron said, reminding Damon of his presence. “Why?” he questioned. Samantha tilted her head and studied Damon. “The guardian angels are the only one who are fallen yet, no rule of fallen applies on them,” she smiled at him.

“Why is that so?” he asked, his eye brows knitted together. “I’m not, uh....supposed to tell anyone except her,” she looked at him sympathetically.

“Well then, come with me,” Damon offered. They both smiled, “That’s what we asked for and what we want,” she paused, “but before we go, you have to tell us this,” Samantha looked from Damon to Aaron who continued her sentence, “Has she gotten her wings yet?”

“Wings?” Damon stood up as if electrocuted by the chair. “For real?” he asked, his surprise, unhidden. “Ahan,” Samantha replied with a chuckle, “and by your expression. I take the answer’s no, right?”

Damon blinked a few times and settled into the chair again, “No, I guess not.” “Go home, Damon and the moment she gets it, let us know and we’ll be there. Your answers would have to wait. We can’t tell anyone but her.” Damon wanted to argue but remained silent, seeing it as the best option at the moment.

The next question by Samantha knocked the breath out of him, “Are you two close?” she asked with a knowing look. There was a flicker of pain in his eyes before he concealed it behind the mask he wore, “No, she’s a friend,” he stated but Samantha raised her eye brows at him and Damon changed his answer, “Actually, a friend of friend. She’s a mutual, you know,” he answered and looked hard at Samantha challenging her to say more.

Samantha nodded with a smile that held million secrets in it. “What?” he asked, curious and irritated by her probing into his relation with Mia, which was growing weaker by day. “Nothing,” she said and chuckled.

He decided he was obviously not getting anything else from them. So, he stood up to leave but turned back at the last thought, “Anything for her?” he asked. Samantha nodded eagerly like she was waiting for that question. “Hmm…just help her through it and be there for her,” she said sincerely.

Damon nodded to the both of them. Juggling his keys, he got to the car. Not such a successful trip as he thought it would be but he was glad it was over and he would have been complaining otherwise but this time he was going back home to someone, someone who needed him just like he needed her. He just hoped, at the moment that she would be just as happy to see him as he was to see her.